• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN070: Please! Catch Morpeko!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Pokémon eating a Pokeball has already happened before, so I’m not sure what’s to unfeasible about that.
And not just any Pokeball, it was a Master Ball of all things. Yeah, the one time we saw a Master Ball getting used it failed miserably at the one job it's supposed to be the best at.
Okay but May caught a Munchlax by it eating a Pokeball
There was the case of Gible eating a Ball, but I doubt Morpeko eats metal.

I just hope it gets resolved somehow. The gag gets tiresome and isnt that funny in my opinion. The Bewear gag was sweet, cause she wanted to protect Team Rocket cause she missed her child Stuffel, they were the remplacement.
I never liked Bewear. It was unrealistically OP and appeared at the most inopportune of times for the trio. And Stufful hardly served any purpose beyond one or two episodes, other than being an extension of the Bewear "gag". As horrible as Morpeko is, I actually prefer it over Bewear.

I never liked Bewear. It was unrealistically OP and appeared at the most inopportune of times for the trio. And Stufful hardly served any purpose beyond one or two episodes, other than being an extension of the Bewear "gag". As horrible as Morpeko is, I actually prefer it over Bewear.
Respectfully disagree. I by far prefer Bewear since it, in a roundabout way just wanted to help the TRio. Morpeko is the exact opposite.
Also whenever it got to battle, things got pretty entertaining. All it took was a slight suspension of disbelief to enjoy its antics for me.

Respectfully disagree. I by far prefer Bewear since it, in a roundabout way just wanted to help the TRio. Morpeko is the exact opposite.
Also whenever it got to battle, things got pretty entertaining. All it took was a slight suspension of disbelief to enjoy its antics for me.
I could never enjoy Bewear myself. Its ridiculous OPness was beyond my suspension of disbelief.

I could never enjoy Bewear myself. Its ridiculous OPness was beyond my suspension of disbelief.
That’s supposed to be the joke. It’s OP-ness was hardly used outside jokes so I don’t mind. The entire character is a play on the troupe of a mama bear, it’s the tendency of mothers in literature (and real life; bless them), to do borderline superhuman things for the welfare of their children (or adopted ones).

Bewear is basically Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter as a Pokémon.

Their attitude towards food is the only thing that needs me to decide which one is better- Bewear provided for the TRio and made sure they were well fed, going to great lengths to take care of them, while Morpeko is mean spirited towards them. It’s probably the first Pokémon which is just pure malice. Even Mimikyu got its redemption.

That’s supposed to be the joke. It’s OP-ness was hardly used outside jokes so I don’t mind. The entire character is a play on the troupe of a mama bear, it’s the tendency of mothers in literature (and real life; bless them), to do borderline superhuman things for the welfare of their children (or adopted ones).
I know it's the joke. I just didn't find it funny, especially when it kept interfering with the trio any time when they were about to be successful.
Bewear is basically Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter as a Pokémon.
Molly is at least a hundred times better than that blasted bear.
Their attitude towards food is the only thing that needs me to decide which one is better- Bewear provided for the TRio and made sure they were well fed, going to great lengths to take care of them, while Morpeko is mean spirited towards them. It’s probably the first Pokémon which is just pure malice. Even Mimikyu got its redemption.
I think Morpeko being the opposite of Bewear is its whole point.

Molly is at least a hundred times better than that blasted bear.
Is there any objective reason behind that? I’d say the personalities are fairly similar based on the evidence I’ve shown.

So... you don’t like Bewear because it interfered with TRio's schemes... but Morpeko is literally playing a part in denying them the basic needs of life... *surprised*
I just don’t see any reason to call a being acting out of maternal affection a "blasted bear". It didn’t allow TRio to complete their job because she thought they’ll be safer with her. Just like a mother doesn’t allow it’s children to play in the dark.

Bewear was objectively one of the few Pokémon that actively improved TRio's quality of life.

Is there any objective reason behind that? I’d say the personalities are fairly similar based on the evidence I’ve shown.
Molly wasn't OP to unbelievable levels. She had talent in her family, so it makes sense for her to be strong as she is. Bewear's strength, on the other hand, comes right out of nowhere without any explanations.
So... you don’t like Bewear because it interfered with TRio's schemes... but Morpeko is literally playing a part in denying them the basic needs of life... *surprised*
Correct. Morpeko at least isn't OP to a level that makes me hate to the whole mon's existence. And that alone makes it better in my book.
I just don’t see any reason to call a being acting out of maternal affection a "blasted bear". It didn’t allow TRio to complete their job because she thought they’ll be safer with her. Just like a mother doesn’t allow it’s children to play in the dark.
There's such a thing as being overprotective. And Bewear was exactly that.
Bewear was objectively one of the few Pokémon that actively improved TRio's quality of life.
Most of the time. But it really wasn't worth it for me in the end.

Most of the time. But it really wasn't worth it for me in the end.
You’d rather see three people literally starving because a pest eats all their food instead of them being well fed, emotionally healthy but present in the care of a slightly overtly nagging mother figure... What? I’m guessing being able to stay alive and eat food was "worth it" for them, at least.

Honestly, I just don't see any real point in Morpeko. It has no real bond with Team Rocket, the gag that accompanies it is far from funny, it doesn't have any purpose in the show so far, and it quite literally has done nothing to help Team Rocket with their goal. So other than marketing, it has absolutely no relevance or importance of any kind. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but so far...I'm leaning towards getting rid of it.

Adding onto what's already been said about Morpeko, it's really odd that it targets Team Rocket specifically when its main motivation is food: Team Rocket are frequently running into budget issues due to their schemes and as a result can't get as much food as frequently as other people probably can, so Morpeko could probably get more food from other sources, yet for some reason it's only Team Rocket it chases around.

Also, while this is admittedly quite petty, I don't like that Morpeko was made a TRio Pokemon in the first place because it reduces Marnie's chances of appearing. Like, sure, they could just make her main Pokemon something else (Grimmsnarl being the prime candidate), but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom