• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN074: Darkrai - A Midsummer Night's Dream

Yes. I agree that Hikari always had a bit of temperament and didn't let her kindness made her a doormat.
But at that time, she got labelled as the nice one when compared to the previous girls.

More complaints are about how Hikari is acting so foolishly and over-excited about everything.
She wasn't like that back in DP, seems like she got the same treatment that Satoshi underwent.
From what I’ve heard, the subs actually make that more clear. Apparently she was acting that way on purpose because she wanted her to stop and smell the roses and to have fun as opposed to just rushing things along. If so, Dawn could make for a good influence on Koharu to further bring her out of her shell.

From what I’ve heard, the subs actually make that more clear. Apparently she was acting that way on purpose because she wanted her to stop and smell the roses and to have fun as opposed to just rushing things along. If so, Dawn could make for a good influence on Koharu to further bring her out of her shell.
It seems that the subbed episode I watched left the part of it being an act out.

Still I don't remember her being that teasing during DP, she's out-of-character.

Why does Hikari/Dawn seem so confrontational and almost a little bit like a jerk in all of her return episodes? The BW return was kind of like that too.

The scene where she met Koharu also seemed kind of random? She just shows up out of nowhere. Then they just walk around in the forest when they could have done something more fun like a contest.
I'm not sure. I wouldn't say her personalities in BW and Journeys were farcrys from the tail-end of DP, but they certainly feel different.

While I enjoyed her being on screen (she has grey eyes now, like her game counterpart!) and her interactions with Koharu (heck, I wish we could have these two episodes entirely devoted to her and catching up with her exploits), she felt out of character. In the DP saga, Dawn would want to get to a Contest ASAP if not at an expected pace; Contests aren't exactly Gyms and can fill up on spaces. Yet here, she deliberately wanted to stop for the most mundane things and was uncharacteristically adamant about it; so much so, it made her come off as the childish one between herself and Koharu (which was reinforced from the very first moment with Piplup eating a stranger's prepared meal). And if one wants to argue "they had time until the Contest," Dawn never conveyed that to Koharu at any point, which could have possibly averted or remedied their disagreement.

I appreciate the message she was trying to share with Koharu, about enjoying the journey along the way, but I feel like the "original" Dawn would have handled that much better. Her personality and explicit appreciation for nature here was more like Iris', right down to the tree climbing. And let's not forget, Koharu came to Sinnoh to enjoy herself and her surroundings in the first place; she just recognizes a timed event when she sees one.

However, I do find it interesting that Dawn listed Unova and Johto as regions she has traveled to and (potentially) entered Contests in. Which makes me think that perhaps her experiences in those regions have led her to being the young woman she is today. If that's the case, then I feel my misgivings are unwarranted.

I don't know. It's just interesting that of all the characters to have cameoed since their departure, Dawn has shown to be the most different in her demeanor and I am unsure as whether to attribute it to poor writing or genuine character development.

When Dawn and Chloe are at the campfire and the conversation turns to contests, Dawn says "I've been to pretty much every contest venue in Sinnoh. Plus Hoenn's, Isshu's and Johto's." I'm interpreting this as her having competed in many contests offscreen, although if the contest circuit shown in DP is her only Sinnoh contest experience the every contest venue bit is exaggeration as we saw some contests Dawn wasn't even in town for, plus the ribbons her rivals won off-screen.

Wonder if the egg at Cerise Labs is going to come back, or just a plot device to stop the Cerise family holiday.

When Dawn and Chloe are at the campfire and the conversation turns to contests, Dawn says "I've been to pretty much every contest venue in Sinnoh. Plus Hoenn's, Isshu's and Johto's." I'm interpreting this as her having competed in many contests offscreen, although if the contest circuit shown in DP is her only Sinnoh contest experience the every contest venue bit is exaggeration as we saw some contests Dawn wasn't even in town for, plus the ribbons her rivals won off-screen.

Wonder if the egg at Cerise Labs is going to come back, or just a plot device to stop the Cerise family holiday.
So we just gonna ignore the fact that Dawn just implies that Contests have now spread to Unova as well?

she felt out of character. In the DP saga, Dawn would want to get to a Contest ASAP if not at an expected pace; Contests aren't exactly Gyms and can fill up on spaces. Yet here, she deliberately wanted to stop for the most mundane things and was uncharacteristically adamant about it; so much so, it made her come off as the childish one between herself and Koharu (which was reinforced from the very first moment with Piplup eating a stranger's prepared meal). And if one wants to argue "they had time until the Contest," Dawn never conveyed that to Koharu at any point, which could have possibly averted or remedied their disagreement.
I think there is a misunderstanding about what their disagreement was about. Koharu wants to hurry so they can arrive at Pokémon Center before night and sleep on actual beds instead of Hikari's tent. Camping and sleeping outdoors is a normal thing for Hikari, like most pokémon trainers, which is why she disagree with Koharu. There was no implication that they could be late for the contest.

I loved this episode, first because we returned to Sinnoh, second because of Darkrai and last but not least because we got to see Dawn again, Ash's best female companion imo.
This episode showed how vital it is to have more two-parters if you really want to introduce a good minui-arc and build up suspense. I think the writers did a great job today and I was enjoying this episode from the beginning to the end.

Darkrai and Cresselia, this episode barely had any of these two in it
I wouldn't agree here. The episode clearly was meant to be a build-up for the climax/showdown next week and I think the short hints of Darkrai and Cresselia they gave us were just perfect to keep up the suspense.

While I enjoyed her being on screen (she has grey eyes now, like her game counterpart!) and her interactions with Koharu (heck, I wish we could have these two episodes entirely devoted to her and catching up with her exploits), she felt out of character. In the DP saga, Dawn would want to get to a Contest ASAP if not at an expected pace;
Sure, Dawn seems to have evolved, but why would that be suprising or a reason to call her out-of-character? (Didn't Iris or Misty evolve, too?) She's still that lively, rather dominant and sometimes self-opioneted girl she used to be in DP. Also, she said that she's already been to almost every contest venue in Sinnoh, so maybe there's no need to hurry for her anymore like there would have been back in the good old days of DP. Now that she's probably won a lot of contests already, she might have come to realize that it's also important to cherish the "small things" in life.

To sum up: I loved the fact this is a two-parter and the episode did a great job of getting me excited for the (hopefully) dramatic showdown next week. Also, I'm certainly looking forward to Ash's and Dawn's reunion!

I wouldn't agree here. The episode clearly was meant to be a build-up for the climax/showdown next week and I think the short hints of Darkrai and Cresselia they gave us were just perfect to keep up the suspense.
Agree to disagree. They should have called this episode "Hikari and Koharu! No Need to Worry!" or something along those lines then, because a Darkrai or Cresselia episode it was clearly not. It contained about as much set-up for these two as those BW episodes that spent a few minutes setting up arcs like the Forces of Nature arc (without those set-ups actually being the focus of the episode). While the marketing focused on Dawn, it was also clearly marketed as a Cresselia/Darkrai two-parter, with nearly identical titles focusing on these two for both episodes, so I don't think it's unfair if people came out disappointed out of this episode in that regard. In my opinion they could have easily combined the Dawn and Chloe stuff with more screentime for the Lunar Duo, or a more in-depth set-up.

Now that whole plot will be crammed into one episode next week, but why should that be a good thing? We already had a one-shot episode focusing on Cresselia/Darkrai in DP, I was actually hoping for something more substantial with a two-parter. Not to mention they might spend time on Dawn's contest in Eterna City, taking up even more screentime.

Agree to disagree. They should have called this episode "Hikari and Koharu! No Need to Worry!" or something along those lines then, because a Darkrai or Cresselia episode it was clearly not. It contained about as much set-up for these two as those BW episodes that spent a few minutes setting up arcs like the Forces of Nature arc (without those set-ups actually being the focus of the episode). While the marketing focused on Dawn, it was also clearly marketed as a Cresselia/Darkrai two-parter, with nearly identical titles focusing on these two for both episodes, so I don't think it's unfair if people came out disappointed out of this episode in that regard. In my opinion they could have easily combined the Dawn and Chloe stuff with more screentime for the Lunar Duo, or a more in-depth set-up.

Now that whole plot will be crammed into one episode next week, but why should that be a good thing? We already had a one-shot episode focusing on Cresselia/Darkrai in DP, I was actually hoping for something more substantial with a two-parter. Not to mention they might spend time on Dawn's contest in Eterna City, taking up even more screentime.
I mean, the entire thing with Darkrai and Cresselia is literally the thing that brought most of the pieces into place. TR being after Cresselia is what caused all these events to happen. Darkrai left New Moon Island which influenced Ash and Go’s portion of the episode which in turn put them on a collision course with Dawn and Koharu. In addition, it influenced the Rhydon attacking since it had been affected by Darkrai’s nightmares which led to them finding Cresselia. The episode mostly focused on Dawn and Koharu’s dynamic together but to say that this shouldn’t be considered as an episode pertaining to the lunar duo is outright false. One doesn’t have to be in the forefront to be of major influence to the plot.

I mean, the entire thing with Darkrai and Cresselia is literally the thing that brought most of the pieces into place. TR being after Cresselia is what caused all these events to happen. Darkrai left New Moon Island which influenced Ash and Go’s portion of the episode which in turn put them on a collision course with Dawn and Koharu. In addition, it influenced the Rhydon attacking since it had been affected by Darkrai’s nightmares which led to them finding Cresselia. The episode mostly focused on Dawn and Koharu’s dynamic together but to say that this shouldn’t be considered as an episode pertaining to the lunar duo is outright false. One doesn’t have to be in the forefront to be of major influence to the plot.
I disagree. I felt that everything that had to do with Darkrai/Cresselia was extremely and unnecessarily secondary to the Dawn and Chloe stuff. Nice that it brought all the pieces together, but it's a fact that both Cresselia and Darkrai were barely in this episode at all physically, and I will stand by my point that it's not unfair to be disappointed by that when they marketed it as a Cresselia/Darkrai two-parter.

I disagree. I felt that everything that had to do with Darkrai/Cresselia was extremely and unnecessarily secondary to the Dawn and Chloe stuff. Nice that it brought all the pieces together, but it's a fact that both Cresselia and Darkrai were barely in this episode at all physically, and I will stand by my point that it's not unfair to be disappointed by that when they marketed it as a Cresselia/Darkrai two-parter.
Problem is that it seems that those who are complaining of Darkrai and Cresselia’s physical appearance in this are thinking about it in the most shallow of manner when it comes to writing. As I said before, someone doesn’t have to constantly be on screen for the influence of their presence to be felt in the story. To basically complain about them not basically having the spotlight shining on them is to completely miss the entire point of the setup of the episode. Journeys has a lot of problems, and I’m one who isn’t shy about pointing them out but the lunar duo’s presence in this is not one of them in this case. If anything, this served as a great setup for part 2 by laying down the groundwork of the story that will allow for the next episode to be the action portion of it without everything being crammed into a single episode like Journeys normally does.

Problem is that it seems that those who are complaining of Darkrai and Cresselia’s physical appearance in this are thinking about it in the most shallow of manner when it comes to writing. As I said before, someone doesn’t have to constantly be on screen for the influence of their presence to be felt in the story. To basically complain about them not basically having the spotlight shining on them is to completely miss the entire point of the setup of the episode. Journeys has a lot of problems, and I’m one who isn’t shy about pointing them out but the lunar duo’s presence in this is not one of them in this case. If anything, this served as a great setup for part 2 by laying down the groundwork of the story that will allow for the next episode to be the action portion of it without everything being crammed into a single episode like Journeys normally does.
I watched a trailer showcasing Darkrai and Cresselia featuring Dawn, I watched two titles being announced that complimented each other and clearly showcased Cresselia and Darkrai, but what I got is a Chloe and Dawn episode with a tiny, tiny bit of Cresselia and Darkrai sprinkled in, leaving the entire plot to unfold itself in a single episode, an episode that also has Dawn and Ash reuniting and possibly Dawn competing in a Contest (it would be really odd if they didn't follow up on that imo) resting on its shoulders. Not to mention we've already seen a Cresselia and Darkrai one-shot episode before. It's nice and all, but then they should have just stuck to a Chloe and Dawn one-shot episode and marketed it as such or included more set-up in combination with those two. I don't think those are unreasonable complaints.

I really don't appreciate my reasoning being dismissed as "shallow thinking". Is that what a simple, subjective(!) disagreement comes down to? You were content with what you got (and I'm happy about that!), and I was disappointed and think they could have approached it a different way. That's all there is to it. I've said my piece so I'll leave it at this.

Last edited:
I watched a trailer showcasing Darkrai and Cresselia featuring Dawn, I watched two titles being announced that complimented each other and clearly showcased Cresselia and Darkrai, but what I got is a Chloe and Dawn episode with a tiny, tiny bit of Cresselia and Darkrai sprinkled in, leaving the entire plot to unfold itself in a single episode, an episode that also has Dawn and Ash reuniting and possibly Dawn competing in a Contest (it would be really odd if they didn't follow up on that imo) resting on its shoulders. Not to mention we've already seen a Cresselia and Darkrai one-shot episode before. It's nice and all, but then they should have just stuck to a Chloe and Dawn one-shot episode and marketed it as such or included more set-up in combination with those two. I don't think those are unreasonable complaints.

I really don't appreciate my reasoning being dismissed as "shallow thinking". Is that what a simple, subjective(!) disagreement comes down to? You were content with what you got (and I'm happy about that!), and I was disappointed and think they could have approached it a different way. That's all there is to it. I've said my piece so I'll leave it at this.
It does come across very much so as shallow thinking when all that you are looking at when it comes down to the product is what is happening on a surface level as opposed to how the moving parts shown at work affect one another. And it’s even more so when you talk about the trailer when the trailer that we got was covering the entire thing as opposed to a singular episode. As with any product, the trailer tends to showcase some of the best parts of what they are a preview of but that by no means means that that is all that there will be to said product.

And it’s even more so when you talk about the trailer when the trailer that we got was covering the entire thing as opposed to a singular episode. As with any product, the trailer tends to showcase some of the best parts of what they are a preview of but that by no means means that that is all that there will be to said product.
Yes.... but the trailer specifically for the two-parter showcased a lot of Darkrai and Cresselia. Again, I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to expect a... you know... proper Cresselia and Darkrai two-parter and not just a character interaction episode and a (possibly) DP104 redux.
It does come across very much so as shallow thinking when all that you are looking at when it comes down to the product is what is happening on a surface level as opposed to how the moving parts shown at work affect one another.
I'm not going to argue about this any further, especially since I think you come across quite condescending with the whole shallow thinking remark over a mere disagreement (it's one of the reasons I don't post here quite as often anymore). You're coming across as if there's one single way this episode could have been written (if anything, such a mindset is quite shallow in itself) and I heavily disagree with that suggestion. I refuse to argue in circles about it any further.

Last edited:
Yes.... but the trailer specifically for the two-parter showcased a lot of Darkrai and Cresselia. Again, I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to expect a... you know... proper Cresselia and Darkrai two-parter and not just a character interaction episode and a (possibly) DP104 redux.
And as you said, it’s a two-parter. And it’s not like it’s a two-parter for a plot point that has been ongoing like the Team Magma/Aqua storyline or the Team Galactic storyline where they have the liberty of jumping right into the action. As such, part one has to serve the purpose of the setup, which this did. In addition, it has to serve as Dawn’s reintroduction, something that had they just thrown us into the meat of things, would have been rushed, something that people have complained about when it comes to Journeys showcasing past companions. So yea, I don’t think it’s unreasonable that this episode laid down the groundwork of the conflict of this two-parter while also giving Dawn’s reintroduction time to breath so we can get the meat of things in part 2.

And as you said, it’s a two-parter. And it’s not like it’s a two-parter for a plot point that has been ongoing like the Team Magma/Aqua storyline or the Team Galactic storyline where they have the liberty of jumping right into the action. As such, part one has to serve the purpose of the setup, which this did. In addition, it has to serve as Dawn’s reintroduction, something that had they just thrown us into the meat of things, would have been rushed, something that people have complained about when it comes to Journeys showcasing past companions. So yea, I don’t think it’s unreasonable that this episode laid down the groundwork of the conflict of this two-parter while also giving Dawn’s reintroduction time to breath so we can get the meat of things in part 2.
What more do you want of me? You're just recycling the same arguments (and so would I if I chose to reply). I disagree and I thoroughly explained why. At this point we're just going to argue in circles. What's the point?

What more do you want of me? You're just recycling the same arguments (and so would I if I chose to reply). I disagree and I thoroughly explained why. At this point we're just going to argue in circles. What's the point?
You made your closing statement, I made mine. You’re free to simply not respond since to you it’s a circle as you made plainly clear.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom