• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN077: Super Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle!

Well it was a great battle but the ending was disappointing, Motor Drive should have prevented 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt from defeating Electivire, or have I missed something

Fan Rotom was certainly a strong Pokemon for Volkner, using Thunder Wave and Hex to cause serious damage, even defeating Gengar

Handshaking moment for this episode. Worried that Ash is going to lost and drop. Never thought, he did it again. Nonetheless, the master class that also included Sinnoh Champion, Cynthia. Looking forward for Ash battle her in future episode. Nonetheless, the segment is little bit cheating by switching one pokemon after another to avoid damage.

Overall rating: B-

Handshaking moment for this episode. Worried that Ash is going to lost and drop. Never thought, he did it again. Nonetheless, the master class that also included Sinnoh Champion, Cynthia. Looking forward for Ash battle her in future episode. Nonetheless, the segment is little bit cheating by switching one pokemon after another to avoid damage.

Overall rating: B-

Tbh, Ash was never going to lose the first Hyper Rank match (No matter the opponent), since that would have made his win (And thus her defeat) against Iris pointless.

This battle looked amazing - straight into it and paced so well. This battle felt more competitive then maybe any other in the anime, both trainers are constantly switching out (including Volkner switching in to benefit from Motor Drive - blew my mind) While this wasn’t the battle to give Gengar and Lucario an MVP role - they still looked great! Mostly the episode did a good job of making Volkner look incredibly strong, which in turn made Ash look strong. I didn’t have a single complaint with this battle…

… until after the ad-break, now – I did kind of worry that the second half of the battle would need to go by in a bit of a rush. Well, Lucario vs Rotom was nice but then it’s battle with Luxray was just the same thing as earlier in the episode - only it (and I was saying to myself, please don’t end in a tie) ended in a tie - I’m sick of ties. Pikachu vs Electivire picked back up and was good but I’m dissatisfied with the final blow. I like Z-Moves, I’m excited Ash has got it Z-Ring - and heck, I’m fine with anime logic - but after the episode specifically showed us Electivire absorbing Pikachu’s attacks with Motor Drive earlier, Electivire being ‘overloaded’ or whatever was not a great way to end.

Over all, fantastic battle - maybe the best in Journeys – but really stumbled at the end for my way of thinking.

But then the episode reintroduced Cynthia and all was forgiven!

Motor Drive should have prevented 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt from defeating Electivire, or have I missed something
Based on my understanding, seems like Ash used 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt to try and "overload" Electivire's Motor Drive to brute force his way through it. Volkner even ordered his Electivire to put its Motor Drive to full use moments before the attack hit. Or something like that, anyway.

Nonetheless, the segment is little bit cheating by switching one pokemon after another to avoid damage.
That's basically what Set mode does in the games, so I wouldn't really call it cheating. Still, it's rare to see sudden switches like that in the anime (we usually only see it when a Pokemon uses a switching move like U-turn), but it definitely made the battle feel more exciting and dynamic.

Gengar doesn't have Dazzling Gleam. We can finally put that to rest.
Yeah, I thought it was quite obvious that Dazzling Gleam being shown in Gengar's moveset was just an error. Thankfully we finally have confirmation of that.

What can I say. This episode was great. The battle was amazing and the ending gave me chills. I do think Gengar should have beaten Fan Rotom and that Ash defeating Electivire with the Electric Z move overloading Motor Drive was kinda one of those anime moments, but this episode revealed that Ash will be battling the Queen herself. This is an 8/10 for me. This battle is definitely one of the good ones

While it doesn't excuse the PWC from feeling like an afterthought, I can safely say this is now my favourite PWC battle.

Great stuff indeed, loved the ending and Ash and Pikachu getting to use Pikashunium Z once more.
also hai Cynthia

This episode started off on a wonderful note, but began to spiral downwards the moment Gengar got jobbed again. So I've got mixed feelings; it was animated very well, but some of the narrative choices could have been better.

So, I guess I'll talk about what I disliked first.
  • Ash & Pikachu's Z-Move magically bypassing Motor Drive was cheap writing, made even more blatant as Pikachu's prior Thunderbolt was something Electivire was rendered immune to thanks to Motor Drive; they specifically called mention to this Ability during the fight a couple times, too. I figured it was coming, but I really hoped the move wouldn't work and reality would kick in. I mean damn, they could have had Ash & Pikachu use it on Volkner's other Pokémon. Really ended the fight on a sour note, for me.
  • Gengar gets j/robbed again. It's just sad, at this point. I'm glad it landed hits on Luxray, but they could have given it a KO; at least a double KO if they still wanted it to go down.
  • Lucario took out Luxray too quickly and in an anticlimactic function. I thought we were going to see more from the Gleam Eyes Pokémon; it was kind of stagnant in battle, which is the opposite of how it fought before, against Infernape. Also, Lucario...got rid of its paralysis? Through the power of Affection?
  • I really think Ash should have lost, because I feel Volkner was the better battler of the two.
What I loved:
  • Hoo boy, the animation. I don't know, this may be the best animated fight in Journeys so far, if not one of them. Everyone and everything looked good. Some of my favorite moments were Lucario scoping the Electric Terrain, Luxray getting thrown by Psychic, and Pikachu and Electivire's mid-air Iron Tail jousting.
  • Volkner's battle style was powerful and calculated. He made use of Electric Terrain for his team, as well as Rising Voltage (which looked great), utilized Hex's secondary effect through paralysis twice, switched accordingly with Electivire and Rotom - F, and overall hit hard. He dominated the first half of the match, before plot dictated that Ash win instead, smh.
    • Speaking of Volkner's team, Rotom - F was the highlight for me. Those Hexes were chef's kisses. I also appreciate that Electivire was given a complete moveset with electrical moves this time around, rather than Fire/Ice Punch.
  • They got right to the battle, which was appreciated. No captures, no conversations, just a near 22 minutes of nicely animated battling action.
  • Cynthia has been confirmed as one of the last PWC members, if not the last one. Congrats to everyone who speculated so! I think a Ash Vs. Cynthia match would be awesome, but I don't want to see her lose to Ash - especially not with what happened today. So, I am looking forward to how that plays out.
Also, I wouldn't be quick to confirm that Gengar's official Dazzling Gleam move was an error or nonexistent, just because Ash didn't use it here. Gengar only used Psychic, Ice Punch, and Night Shade during its battles, so the jury is still out on whether or not Shadow Ball has been forgotten for Fairy coverage.

A bit disappointed that Ash won, Electivire should have been immune to 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt making it a cheap win. That and Lucario was able to knock out Luxray who hadn't taken a great deal of damage in the battle.

Fan Rotom was certainly my favourite Pokemon this battle

While I didn't care for the Z-Move, this isn't the games, and an Ability should never "negate" the strongest Electric Z-Move, so while I didn't care for it being used, I actually like that they "stuck" to my logic there. Otherwise, really good battle.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom