• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN077: Super Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle!

It did take some damage from Electroweb...

I suppose Lucario taking that barrage of Air Slashes while it was charging up Reversal added more power to it as well. I agree with you that Rotom isn't the bulkiest of Pokemon. However, we know the anime picks and chooses when a Pokemon can take A LOT of punishment (not the move Punishment just a lot of damage in general) vs. letting them faint after little damage or just one move in general.

Heck, it is a Steel type, but Lucario isn't THAT bulky when compared to Gengar but it took WAY more damage than Gengar before it finally fainted.
Regardless, it was quite obvious that Lucario was very weak while using Reversal, so I find the KO believable.

Alright watched the episode. It started out promising, a friendly chat between old friends/opponents and got right into the battle, no added distractions, and Gengar was performing excellently...then it the writers made him take another L, which got me royally angry. So I sat through the Lucario fights, still mad, but semi-pleased he got to show off his power. Than it was Electivire vs Pikachu, now I knew that Z-Move was coming up, but I also knew Electivire had Motor Drive, so one of two things would happen: Either Electivire absorbs the Z-Move and Pikachu just toughs it out and wins or the plot finds some way for 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt to break through Electivire's Ability. Unfortunately the latter happened, and I was reminded of all those other unorthodox, anime only stuff, which I hate when it happens. Electivire overloading with electricity, what kind of bogus reasoning is that? I didn't care if Ash used or continues to use a Z-Move to win, I do that a lot when I was play USUM, but I need it to be somewhat believable.

That kind of BS is an insult to Ash and Volkner, and the mark of a novice on the writer's part, not that that's anything new with the majority of Journeys.

I refuse to stop supporting Gengar though, and I'm just gonna support him even more than ever!

Side Note: As upset as I am that it beat Gengar, the Thunder Wave and Hex combo Rotom used was an absolute pro strategy as well as Luxray's Electric Terrain and Rising Voltage! I really wish Ash would use strategy's like these along with his usual style.

It would be helpful if someone wrote at Motor Drive (and Electrivire Volkner) on the bulbapedia about not being able to absorb Z attack Pikashium.

Alright watched the episode. It started out promising, a friendly chat between old friends/opponents and got right into the battle, no added distractions, and Gengar was performing excellently...then it the writers made him take another L, which got me royally angry. So I sat through the Lucario fights, still mad, but semi-pleased he got to show off his power. Than it was Electivire vs Pikachu, now I knew that Z-Move was coming up, but I also knew Electivire had Motor Drive, so one of two things would happen: Either Electivire absorbs the Z-Move and Pikachu just toughs it out and wins or the plot finds some way for 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt to break through Electivire's Ability. Unfortunately the latter happened, and I was reminded of all those other unorthodox, anime only stuff, which I hate when it happens. Electivire overloading with electricity, what kind of bogus reasoning is that? I didn't care if Ash used or continues to use a Z-Move to win, I do that a lot when I was play USUM, but I need it to be somewhat believable.

That kind of BS is an insult to Ash and Volkner, and the mark of a novice on the writer's part, not that that's anything new with the majority of Journeys.

I refuse to stop supporting Gengar though, and I'm just gonna support him even more than ever!

Side Note: As upset as I am that it beat Gengar, the Thunder Wave and Hex combo Rotom used was an absolute pro strategy as well as Luxray's Electric Terrain and Rising Voltage! I really wish Ash would use strategy's like these along with his usual style.
I agree with you! Looking back, there were a lot of random things Ash pulled in battles during the DP series that went against the games. However, I think the Motor Drive situation in this episode is even worse because we literally see Motor Drive playing a roll earlier in the same battle! Absorbing Thunderbolt to increase Eletivire's speed. I would've believed the Z-move failing due to it being absorbed and Pikachu toughing it out through a combo of Eletivire's Wild Charge recoil damage, Iron Tails striking while possibly lowering defensive power and using Quick Attack/Iron Tail in combo moves like he used to do in Sinnoh!

This truly was an insult to Volkner and Ash's third battle. Their first one was interrupted by Team Rocket, their second was when Infernape mastered Blaze earning Ash the 8th Sinnoh badge and we have this matchup! Geez, Infernape should've returned for this fight. However, I guess they didn't want an Infernape/Electivire matchup here because we might get that Paul fight in the future.

The fast pace was definitely the best part about the battle and made its flaws less noticeable. It's really cool that they still have the touch, even after disappointments like episodes 39 and 65. It was awesome to see all those moves and strategies clashing together without any chance to breathe, and with great animation that paid attention to how every Pokemon could move.

But yeah, it did have flaws: They still don't know how to handle Z-moves (through I'm thankful they didn't spend too much time on it), the final two matches were a bit rushed, and Volkner could've shown more personality.

I get not liking Z-Moves...but I can't think of a way to handle them that isn't this, basically.

I personally have heard almost nothing but praise for those two episodes.

I don't like the first one, mostly because I hate Saito.
That coming from the games, nothing regarding the anime.

I get not liking Z-Moves...but I can't think of a way to handle them that isn't this, basically.

That's more a problem coming from SM, honestly.

If only the SatoPikaZ shattered after beating Kapu-Kokeko....
I actually expected for that to happen, being like a Bookend.

I wish they showed Electivire being super aggresive and way too fast to handle himself and then have him hit the wall and not be able to control his attacks after being hit with 10,000,000 Volts, or something like that. But overall I'm not too nitpicky about Motor Drive being overcharged, since they aknowledged it.

While I can understand why he didn't appear in person due to timing reasons, a cameo of Paul would have been cool to show him watching Ash's match and maybe foreshadow his appearance in the PWT. This tournament is perfect for bringing back old rivals and opponents so Ash has a second chance to show how much he's grown since their last battle, and we all want to see Tobias taken down a peg or ten.

I hope you realize this would make it seem more of a DEM than it already was. This would make things worse, not better.
And if that was the case then everybody's Z crystal should have shattered.

Mallow just used a Z-move! Oops, the Z crystal has shattered.
Well done for winning a Z crystal Sophocles, just don't get too used to it once you've used it.
Oh my, looks like Kiawe's going through the rest of the series without Inferno Overdriving.
Sorry Gladion, your Z crystal is toast.

And yours too Kukui... and TR's... and those two kids we recently saw... and your crystal too!

And if that was the case then everybody's Z crystal should have shattered.
I am going to answer this once and no more.

After beating Kapu-Kokeko, the SatoPikaZ had already served its designated purpose.
So disappearing forever can make sense.

It's also a call-back to the first Z-Crystal Satoshi used.
This is going to apply to him and nobody else.

I hoped that it'd happen because I feared that the Nuke would return in some contrived/controversial way.
And that ended up happening.

Last edited:
So disappearing forever can make sense.
N-no it doesn't? In what way does that make sense? And WHY would it disappear in the first place? And was the implication of the z-crystal remaining not that Ash and Pikachu had finally been able to "master" it? This opens so much more questions than answers and I don't understand how one can default to THIS as a solution to fixing a mechanic. :confused:

Generally, I would've been fine with any...condition absorbing the strongest Electric-type Z-Move would leave one in, I was just happy it wasn't nullified by an Ability.

6F162E66-795A-4065-AEAB-5B0258E7FE6A.jpeg

Do I get points for predicting the worst segment of the episode?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom