• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN078: The Targeted Sakuragi Institute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you can't tell me that Drizzile being put on a bus and coming back to suddenly evolve is good writing
No, it's not. But saying the episode itself will be bad is just making assumptions. Remember the Mallow's mom episode? That came out of nowhere, yet it is one of the highest rated episodes on IMDB ever.

No, it's not. But saying the episode itself will be bad is just making assumptions. Remember the Mallow's mom episode? That came out of nowhere, yet it is one of the highest rated episodes on IMDB ever.
That's because the episode had good writing. I don't see how Drizzile evolving when it did next to nothing this series is good writing.

I don't see how Drizzile evolving when it did next to nothing this series is good writing.
You completely missed my point. Mallow's story came out of nowhere with ZERO foreshadowing. You can't honestly tell me THAT aspect was good writing, right? But the episode ITSELF, however, was essentially a masterpiece in terms of pokemon episodes. Had there been clearer direction in SM, Aya Matsui truly could've let her talents shine there. Here, however, you have NO idea how this episode will turn out yet are assuming the whole thing will be bad because of one factor. At least here we have someplace to start, and in any case, I don't think Drizzile evolving in the Manga is enough evidence since the Manga already has significantly more differences than the anime despite supposedly being a direct adaptation.

You completely missed my point. Mallow's story came out of nowhere with ZERO foreshadowing. You can't honestly tell me THAT aspect was good writing, right? But the episode ITSELF, however, was essentially a masterpiece in terms of pokemon episodes. Had there been clearer direction in SM, Aya Matsui truly could've let her talents shine there. Here, however, you have NO idea how this episode will turn out yet are assuming the whole thing will be bad because of one factor. At least here we have someplace to start, and in any case, I don't think Drizzile evolving in the Manga is enough evidence since the Manga already has significantly more differences than the anime despite supposedly being a direct adaptation.
The event that occurred in the manga where Drizzile evolved is the same event as the episode. Chances are that Drizzile evolves here. If it doesn't, I'll take back what I said. And of course, Mallow's story came out of nowhere. Her mom is a CotD that wasn't mentioned before or after that episode. They could have done better foreshadowing. But that event didn't really impact Mallow as a character like it should have, so you're basically comparing apples and oranges here. And let's not pretend that we haven't had bad episodes that had a bad premise.

And let's not pretend that we haven't had bad episodes that had a bad premise.
Okay, clearly you missed my point in not making assumptions. I already said that if Drizzile DOES evolve here, it's bad writing. But this is only in the sense that JOURNEYS as a series has bad writing. But that doesn't make the episode itself bad, which is what you are assuming. Writing issues like this aren't the fault of individual episodes, but rather the show as a whole. The same applies to the Mallow episode. You have no idea if this episode will be good or bad and are just making assumptions, which is my whole point. I rest my case.

Okay, clearly you missed my point in not making assumptions. I already said that if Drizzile DOES evolve here, it's bad writing. But this is only in the sense that JOURNEYS as a series has bad writing. But that doesn't make the episode itself bad, which is what you are assuming. Writing issues like this aren't the fault of individual episodes, but rather the show as a whole. The same applies to the Mallow episode. You have no idea if this episode will be good or bad and are just making assumptions, which is my whole point. I rest my case.
The point I'm trying to make here is this: Why grant evolution to a Pokemon that hasn't done much this series to a character who barely trains? In the Mallow episode, we simply found out more about Mallow herself. She wasn't granted a strong Pokemon simply because her mother died. Here, Goh is being granted an evolution that he didn't work for. But this is my last response on the topic since I'm almost hijacking the thread at this point.

Last edited:
Why do we get 1 great Ash episode followed by 1 bad Goh episode?
Because there's different writers working on these episodes? :confused:

Ash's episodes have Tomioka working on them and he's been a Veteran Anipoke Writers since the OS

Goh's episodes get a mix of different writers.

This one is by Deko Akao who last I checked was a newer writer on this show and whom I personally consider one of the weaker writers on this show

Last edited:
The evolution will be bad.

But I put my hopes on the villain-Cotd.

Sorry, I forgot to remark again that that Kakuleon actually had been trained, properly.

You're awfully well-informed about a Pokemon belonging to a CoTD that never appeared before.

How do you know how well it's trained?

At least here we have someplace to start, and in any case, I don't think Drizzile evolving in the Manga is enough evidence since the Manga already has significantly more differences than the anime despite supposedly being a direct adaptation.

Any differences the manga is mainly because of space limitations. Each chapter is only around 30 pages, so cuts are necessary to fit the episode into it.

However, it never changes the overall plot of an episode. If Drizzile evolved there, it's evolving here.

You know whats gonna happen

Villain gets exposed

Sakuragi: You could have just asked, you know

End of the episode
Hoping that he would be entertaining.
Takagi-san never fails to deliver.

Will they go the Kenji-route this time?

I just really hope Inteleon has an actual personality.

It didn't really have any as a Sobble

Drizzile showed signs of having one but alas we didn't get to see him much :(

Given Inteleon's design, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't have a personality but JN's writing is bad so I wouldn't know

Going off of how Journeys seems to have defaulted to Pokémon having a personality as a species rather than an individual, I imagine that it’ll just have the exact same personality as the Inteleon that it was inspired from with no real trace if individuality.

Going off of how Journeys seems to have defaulted to Pokémon having a personality as a species rather than an individual, I imagine that it’ll just have the exact same personality as the Inteleon that it was inspired from with no real trace if individuality.
To be fair the Games started that so it's not even something that can be blamed on Journeys.

Inteleon, Cinderace, Grookey, etc All of their personalities are stripped directly from the games

Also we've only seen Jacqueline's Inteleon only once and not very long either so Goh's Inteleon will likely be more fleshed out if it shows up in more than one episode

Last edited:
To be fair the Games started that so it's not even something that can be blamed on Journeys.
Not really, Journeys started to adhere to the Dex entries quite literally.
Even if most of the main cast ones are just quirky and lack a real personality.

Previous series Pokemon were more diverse in atributes.
Following a little the entries, but adding some identity traits of their own.

Inteleon, Cinderace, Grookey, etc All of their personalities are stripped directly from the games

Also we've only seen Jacqueline's Inteleon only once and not very long either so Goh's Inteleon will likely be more fleshed out if it shows up in more than one episode
The games only give us Pokédex entries as far as what what a species is like, it doesn’t really have any way in expressing that. The anime on the other hand has always given Pokémon their own individual personalities that extend beyond just what the dex says.

For example, compare the personalities of Jessie’s Mimikyu to Acerola’s. The 2 have vastly different personalities, neither of which really follow the Pokédex. Now compare the Piplup from the Ice Float race to Dawn’s Piplup and you can’t even tell the difference.

Journeys has been extremely lazy in actually giving Pokémon individual personalities, something that past series never had issue with.

The games only give us Pokédex entries as far as what what a species is like, it doesn’t really have any way in expressing that. The anime on the other hand has always given Pokémon their own individual personalities that extend beyond just what the dex says.

For example, compare the personalities of Jessie’s Mimikyu to Acerola’s. The 2 have vastly different personalities, neither of which really follow the Pokédex. Now compare the Piplup from the Ice Float race to Dawn’s Piplup and you can’t even tell the difference.

Journeys has been extremely lazy in actually giving Pokémon individual personalities, something that past series never had issue with.
Not necessarily.

In Sun and Moon I can bring up Ida's Brionne/Primarina compared to Lana's Brionne/Primarina for instance having the same personality

Or Ash's Greninja and Senpai's Greninja

Journeys does do this but it's definitely not the only perpetrator

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom