• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN078: The Targeted Sakuragi Institute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily.

In Sun and Moon I can bring up Ida's Brionne/Primarina compared to Lana's Brionne/Primarina for instance having the same personality

Or Ash's Greninja and Senpai's Greninja
Not only did neither of those Pokémon really display any real personality even as recurring COTDs, to say that Ash’s Greninja was the same as Senpai’s is just flat out ignoring its entire personality that it displayed throughout the entire series.

Hell, just looking at other Pokémon of the same species, Ash’s and May’s Bulbasaur and Squirtle were radically different, Ash’s and Richie’s Charmeleons were different, Ash and Dawn’s Cyndaquil, Iris’ Dragonite compared to any Dragonite we’ve seen in the series, Ash’s Sceptile from a Treecko (even a one time seen Treecko was vastly different than Ash’s), Ash’s Pikachu compared to various Pikachu trainers he’s met, May, Serena and Lana’s Eevee. Journeys doesn’t even try to give anything close to that level of differentiation and most of the time when a Pokémon evolves, it doesn’t even retain much of anything from its previous form.

The games only give us Pokédex entries as far as what what a species is like, it doesn’t really have any way in expressing that. The anime on the other hand has always given Pokémon their own individual personalities that extend beyond just what the dex says.

For example, compare the personalities of Jessie’s Mimikyu to Acerola’s. The 2 have vastly different personalities, neither of which really follow the Pokédex. Now compare the Piplup from the Ice Float race to Dawn’s Piplup and you can’t even tell the difference.

Journeys has been extremely lazy in actually giving Pokémon individual personalities, something that past series never had issue with.
Heck, just look at all the Eevees that the MC girls have recieved. As annoying that trend is, you still gotta give the writers props for managing to give each MC-owned Eevee its own unique personality. May's was probably the blandest in that department, since for the most part it only had the traits that basically every small and cute Pokemon has by default, such as being friendly and playful, but I think we can give it a pass due to the fact that it was the first of its kind to join the main cast, plus it was by far the most action-oriented Eevee by virtue of May's Contest goal. Serena's Eevee was famously timid and fearful, and her character arc was conquering her stage fright. Chloe's Eevee has that peculiarity of being unable to evolve, which makes her inherently curious and eager to fit in with others as reflected by her habit of mimicking anyone she finds interesting. Even Sandy, by far the most pointless and superfluous MC Eevee to have ever existed, had an extremely distinctive personality in that he was extremely naive and impulsive with a penchant of getting himself into trouble through bad luck.

The only Pokemon that I'd say has been kind of a whole species with the same personality has been Lucario, and even in that case there's been a few outliers like Cameron's and to an extent Ash's, since Ash's Lucario, for all it's stoicness, still shows clear hints of the impatient and combative personality it had as a Riolu.

Not only did neither of those Pokémon really display any real personality even as recurring COTDs, to say that Ash’s Greninja was the same as Senpai’s is just flat out ignoring its entire personality that it displayed throughout the entire series.
So then exactly what makes the CotD Inteleon any different from Ida's Primarina or Senpai's Greninja?

Hell, just looking at other Pokémon of the same species, Ash’s and May’s Bulbasaur and Squirtle were radically different, Ash’s and Richie’s Charmeleons were different, Ash and Dawn’s Cyndaquil, Iris’ Dragonite compared to any Dragonite we’ve seen in the series, Ash’s Sceptile from a Treecko (even a one time seen Treecko was vastly different than Ash’s), Ash’s Pikachu compared to various Pikachu trainers he’s met, May, Serena and Lana’s Eevee. Journeys doesn’t even try to give anything close to that level of differentiation and most of the time when a Pokémon evolves, it doesn’t even retain much of anything from its previous form.
Except Chloe's Eevee doesn't act anything like any of the Eevee’s we've met before.

Ash's Lucario acts nothing like Korrina's Lucario either.

Goh's Pikachu was nothing like Ash's Pikachu either

Ash's Dragonite acts nothing like Iris's Dragonite

How exactly does Journeys not differentiate. Piplup was the only example of having the same personality that I've seen in Journeys so far

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

In Sun and Moon I can bring up Ida's Brionne/Primarina compared to Lana's Brionne/Primarina for instance having the same personality

Or Ash's Greninja and Senpai's Greninja

Journeys does do this but it's definitely not the only perpetrator
Well, there's a really big difference in those two cases you brought up because in each, only one of the Pokémon was actually on the main cast and we got to see their entire plotlines and their personalities, which is something we didn't see in the other. I guess it's easy to tell who's who in this situation, huh? Besides everything else that Kurolegacy said.

And honestly, I agree with them: it's bizarre and even pitiful that JN struggles with even the most basic stuff that other series did so well. Like, even when it comes to something as simple and bare basic such as showing the personalities of every Pokémon on the main cast, and how they interact with the humans and with others Pokémon, the writers hit a concrete wall headfirst.

Well, there's a really big difference in those two cases you brought up because in each, only one of the Pokémon was actually on the main cast and we got to see their entire plotlines and their personalities, which is something we didn't see in the other. I guess it's easy to tell who's who in this situation, huh? Besides everything else that Kurolegacy said.

And honestly, I agree with them: it's bizarre and even pitiful that JN struggles with even the most basic stuff that other series did so well. Like, even when it comes to something as simple and bare basic such as showing the personalities of every Pokémon on the main cast, and how they interact with the humans and with others Pokémon, the writers hit a concrete wall headfirst.
Okay but we weren't talking about storylines tho

We're talking about the actual personalities of said Pokémon

They compared Dawn's Piplup to the CotD Piplup from JN08 despite the fact that we know who Dawn's Piplup is

Also we didn't get to see the CotD Inteleon's entire personality either.
So what exactly makes people think we won't be able to tell Goh's apart from it?

Last edited:
Because many of Gou's Pokemon are the blandest anime 'characters' I've seen in ages.
They're mostly props with some traits derived from their entries.
And the staff is doing the bare minimum, so Inteleon can end up being very generic.

Also Gekkouga was explored deeply during XY.
Especially after the defeat at the Eisetsu Gym.
Sanpei's was also a recurrent character, and it was a mentor-type.

Kotetsu's Lucario remains my favourite for not being stereotyped.

I realize that this might be it....

This very well may be the episode....

The episode that I have been long curious about since the day Suicune was caught....

The episode that might make Twitter explode in rage again since that day...

This may be the episode that could end up topping the Suicune and Grookey episode threads with the most amounts of pages filled with backlash.

The inevitable shit storm is coming people. Grab an umbrella. And some popcorn

Last edited:
This may be the episode that could end up topping the Suicune and Grookey episode threads with the most amounts of pages filled with backlash.
Nah, I doubt it. It's gonna take a lot more than a rushed/poorly-executed evolution to top the backlash created from the Suicune episode.

Nah, I doubt it. It's gonna take a lot more than a rushed/poorly-executed evolution to top the backlash created from the Suicune episode.
Idk about that

Goh is the most controversial companion

Inteleon is the most controversial Galar Pokemon

This episode will undoubtedly be the most controversial based on that alone

But you're probably right that it might not cause as much backlash as Suicune.

I'm sure Leon VS Cynthia will likely take care of that

I just really hope Inteleon has an actual personality.

It didn't really have any as a Sobble

Drizzile showed signs of having one but alas we didn't get to see him much :(

Given Inteleon's design, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't have a personality but JN's writing is bad so I wouldn't know
It will have a personality but we won’t see that personality develop or show itself before 20 episodes pass,

I don’t read the manga, mainly cause fifthteen-year old me didn’t even know what manga was four years ago, but has the manga ever influenced many episodes before in the anime? Like this one?

It just seems so bizarre to adapt a chapter in the manga towards an episode where majority of the storyline is already known. Yes, about 90% of anime do this, but Pokemon never seems to be one of them, and the mystery/plot of each episode being unknown keeps it interesting at times.

I don’t read the manga, mainly cause fifthteen-year old me didn’t even know what manga was four years ago, but has the manga ever influenced many episodes before in the anime? Like this one?

It just seems so bizarre to adapt a chapter in the manga towards an episode where majority of the storyline is already known. Yes, about 90% of anime do this, but Pokemon never seems to be one of them, and the mystery/plot of each episode being unknown keeps it interesting at times.
This is the first Pokémon manga adaptation chapter that's been released before the source material. At least the first adaptation of an episode.

Which is... interesting to say the least, huh.

I do have a feeling we were supossed to have seen this ep a lot earlier than we are actually seeing it.
Well you have to remember that we did get a really long hiatus due to covid last year so this show is probably about 6 or 7 episodes behind production

Normally that is not an issue, at all.

Many people that watch an Anime adaptation has already read the Manga.
Especially if the source material have been concluded, like Kimetsu no Yaiba or Dai no Daibouken.
And at most there are no complains, those are reserved to little details.

However, there are usually some changes.
That's why it is an 'adaptation'.
I still don't know if this manga was supposed to be released at the same time or after the episode.
Neither if there would be any differences between both media.

I am intrigued by this singular case and want to see if some things are different.

So I'm guessing this'll be updated right?
20210826_164856.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom