• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN083: The Py That Became A Star

This episode is alright and also emotion to see that Cleffa from that little girl had passed on. But not without Unown reminded her that Cleffa always be in her heart no matter what. Despite, a little bit of scuffling with boys and with Cynthia save the day with her OP Garchomp.

Overall rating: B-

This episode shared a lot of similarities with the third movie: a little girl being distraught over losing someone she loved, a group of Unown reacting to her and altering reality as a result, the Unown creating illusionary Pokémon to battle the main characters, the girl initially refusing the let go of the illusion but eventually accepting reality...

Also, the Unown in this episode spell out the word "NIGHT". Clever.

I had trouble understanding this episode but the plot seemed like that of M03 with a young girl and the Unown. It was great seeing Cynthia again

Staff list courtesy of Dephender at Serebii
Screenplay 柿原優子 (Yuko Kakihara)
Storyboard 樋口 香里 (Kaori Higuchi)
Episode Director Han young hoon
Animation Director Jo he jung
Animation Director Kim jin gi
Animation Director 柳原好貴 (Koki Yanagihara)

It ended up being what I thought.

A good episode, yes. Memorable, too.

My only issue is the similarity with the third movie, it ticks me a bit.

While that’s what I loved the most

Last edited:
I think it’s interesting they didn’t let Go capture an Unown, they seem particular what kind of Pokémon Go can get and what are off limits.

This episode was good and will be better with subs. The little girls Cleffa dying that she knew since a baby was touching.

I didn't watch the Episode yet, but if you think the episode is good, then I should probably watch it too.

I think it’s interesting they didn’t let Go capture an Unown, they seem particular what kind of Pokémon Go can get and what are off limits.

This episode was good and will be better with subs. The little girls Cleffa dying that she knew since a baby was touching.
They seem to have taken note of the backlash they got from the Suicune episode.

The plot felt a little similar to the 3rd movie. The only thing this episode really had going for it was the return of our glorious queen Champion Cynthia and seeing her get to interact with Ash again.
Yeah who cares about the trauma of someone losing a loved one when CYNTHIA IS ON SCREEN AND IS GONNA LOSE TO ASH LATER OH BOY WHO CARES ABOUT THE OTHER 22 MINUTES OF THE EPISODE THAT ACTUALLY MATTER

An episode with HER, the wonderful Cynthia ... how should I even try to begin when I'm still thrilled after seeing the Queen again? Let me try it this way:

First, Ash and Go meet Cynthia at an archaelogy museum where Pikachu is jumping right into Cynthia's arms and she is as gentle and nice to him as could be. Such a great, heart-warming scene! :giggle:
Cynthia and Ash immediately recognize each other and Cynthia encourages Ash to progress to the Masters Eight. Then, Go introduces himself to Cynthia and she tells more about herself as a passionate archaelogist researching myths and rare Pokemon. Not only was this an awesome introduction for those who haven't known Cynthia yet (poor guys...) but it also gave us some more valuable insight into Cynthia's personal life. How great! Also, I simply loved when Cynthia said "Despite my title as Champion, my forte is archaelogy". Did you notice how unpretentious our Queen is? She's almost downplaying her skills as a Pokemon Master by focusing on her interest in archaelogy instead. That's the behavior of a true Champion. You're so perfect, dear Cynthia! :love:
Next, Ash and Go tell Cynthia about what they've found out about the little girl and the unknown (pun intended!) Pokemon. Cynthia immediately decides to go and talk to the girl. When they finally meet her, Cynthia once again is so wonderfully kind to her and has even brought some doughnuts. How nice of her!
When Ash and Go tell the girl that the darkness has to stop, the latter almost goes mad. All of a sudden, several Unown appear and protect her by creating illusionary Pokemon. They boys struggle hard to fight those illusion back, but here comes our Queen to save the day. This was by far the best scene in the whole episode. First, Garchomp's epic appearance and then Cynthia's great, champion-like thinking when she had Garchomp use Sandstorm to distract the "fake" Garchomp and finally defeats all the illusionary Pokemon and the Unown with one massive blow from above. All this was underlined by great, dramatic music which made the battle even more epic! Oh Queen, I'm kneeling down before you! :notworthy:
Finally, what happend to the little girl losing her dear Pokemon? Which character would be better suited for such a mature and serious topic than the best character the Pokemon Anime has ever introduced? Cynthia was the perfect choice for such an emotional topic when she showed sympathy for the girl and finally comforted her by saying that even if you can't see them in daylight, the stars will always be there and shining. What a wonderful conclusion!

Yes, I've been worried during the week if the writers will give Cynthia a comeback worthy of a Queen. Thank God, it all turned out great! The emotional story about the girl losing her Pokemon was done very very well and Cynthia returning is simply beyond words. Of course, we know we'll see her again for the big PWC showdown, but I'm glad the writers used this opportunity to reintroduce Cynthia before the Masters Eight arc will finally start. The fact that no other champion has been given so much attention over such a long time and several regions just proves to me how immensely popular and fantastic Cynthia is! If it wasn't for the fact that Journeys needs to promote SwSh (thus giving Leon special attention), it's clear who would actually be the true World Champion!

Thank you, Cynthia, for returning to the show. I'm eagerly awaiting to see you again soon!

Last edited:
This episode had some cute, clever moments, with some pretty funny ones too.
Watching it in sub, Ash literally asked if “they knew when breakfast was” as his major concern, Goh said to the Murkrow “You look down/miserable, wanna come with me?”, and a lot of the time Goh was saying “Good morning” whilst Ash said “Good evening” due to the confusion. Then, the Unown spelling out “NIGHT” (@FinnishPokéFan92 beat me to it…).
Honestly, a pretty cute and somewhat funny episode. However, did no one in that entire town have a watch/clock? The old fella with the Sudowoodo was confused on what time to have his dinner was. Like…? You couldn’t just check the time? I know a lot of people follow a set time in their head dictated by the light, so they may have had their internal clock messed up, but, come on.
And of course, a simple way to reintroduce Cynthia, that demonstrated what makes her enjoyable - caring, powerful, analytical, calm. She’s just too cool not to love.

Granted, in general, I do think for the most part, many of the recent PM 2019 episodes have been good+, however...this is probably the best episode I've seen since either the Volkner battle, or on a more related note, the Flabebe episode. This episode placed the bit of humor it had where it could (Ash asking about having breakfast during eternal night was very good) but maintained the emotions they wanted to go for throughout (anxiousness, sadness). In an episode where the Sinnoh Champion herself returns (and this episode does a good job establishing her "non-battle" persona, both her meeting with Ash and Gou, and later, her attempting to cheer Kirara up with donuts) to keep the focus on Kirara/Unown was a bold choice, and it worked out extremely well for it. The Movie 3 vibes were obvious, but outside of the really obvious callback (the Unown attempting to "fight" for a little girl who lost someone), it didn't feel much like the movie at all. Very well done.

They seem to have taken note of the backlash they got from the Suicune episode.

....Hmmm....Perhaps, though I am unsure if that would have registered with the more important demographics in Japan. Though if they did listen to our demands Goh would have been eaten by a space Marmot by now and Ash would be the only MC so...

I fail to see what sort of backlash Goh having an Unown could bring.
Probably because they're portrayed in the main anime consistently as beings with power rivalling that of Legendaries and Goh getting both Suicune and Eternatus as well as barely failing to catch Zapdos was seen as controversial

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom