• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN083: The Py That Became A Star

He did catch it, even if he didn't keep it.
I think that they were being sarcastic, there was no need to answer.

There is no way Mr Fish would defeat Gaburias.
Shirona will sweep through Satoshi's team.

Considering how the latter's Pokemon are handled, it will be hardly surprising.
Satoshi winning will be very contrived and unearned, Plot-Armor or Deus ex Machina.

If there's one thing I've never liked in these types of stories it's how the mourning character is expected to just immediately get over their grief and smile. I know it's a one-shot episode and she shouldn't be grieving forever, but people can't just turn that sort of feeling on and off like a light. Coping with loss takes time, and trying to force yourself to be happy can be just as self-destructive as being depressed. Not just in this episode, but the trope in general just bothers me.

I swear, sometimes I wonder why the writers even give Ash any other Pokemon on his team besides Pikachu.

On the positive side, always a pleasure to see Cynthia again kicking ass.

Satoshi winning will be very contrived and unearned, Plot-Armor or Deus ex Machina.
This isn't DP where Garchomp curbstomping an entire team might have been acceptable (it was already toned down in BW). Ash's main rival is Leon, not Cynthia. He is also welcome to use his reserves at any time, not to mention that he probably has two more years to train his team.

Last edited:
This isn't DP where Garchomp curbstomping an entire team might have been acceptable
It should since it is stronger now.
not to mention that he probably has two more years to train his team.
If this series do that, it'll be dragged more.
Four years is unthinkable for any anime that isn't comedic slice of life or adapting a manga.

Actually, your last sentence is what concerns me the most about Journeys. I don't care about Leon who proved in his battle against Lance that he isn't such a good battler after all. He could only "win" due to his cheap trick with G-Max Wildfire, which the writers made appear to be totally overpowerded. DEM at its finest.
What I care about is Cynthia! And if we're supposed to accept that Ash will soon beat all the strongest trainers in the world, I want that battle with Cynthia to at least be the greatest showdown the Pokemon world has ever seen.

Anyways, did you notice that scene when the Unown attacked the group with a gust-like attack. While Ash and Go were blown away and clumsily landed on top of each other, Cynthia landed with such a cool, ninja-like pose. Fantastic, I loved it!

Only 3 pages so far? Come on guys, this was a Cynthia episode!! I expect more reviews please ;)

Actually, your last sentence is what concerns me the most about Journeys. I don't care about Leon who proved in his battle against Lance that he isn't such a good battler after all. He could only "win" due to his cheap trick with G-Max Wildfire, which the writers made appear to be totally overpowerded. DEM at its finest.
Leon won that match because Charizard had an Electric move in Thunder Punch, which he could upgrade into Max Lightning via Gigantamax. Those attacks honestly did most of the work. G-Max Wildfire was just the final nail in the coffin.

The point is that G-Moves are overpowered on purpose and could count as DeM.

I consider each series as independent and none of them had ran for four years.
Even the longest running anime uses the Series System and every one of them last a year.

Leon won that match because Charizard had an Electric move in Thunder Punch, which he could upgrade into Max Lightning via Gigantamax. Those attacks honestly did most of the work. G-Max Wildfire was just the final nail in the coffin.
We can't know how much damage Max Lightning actually dealt but to me Gyarados still looked pretty fine after that attack (Anyways, don't you think Lance, who's one of the strongest trainers in the world, couldn't predict it or find a way to cope with such an attack instead of just doing nothing and having his Pokemon get hit? Especially in such an important match?) Lance had the upperhand throughout the match until Leon pulled G Max Wildfire out of the hat which is so overpowered that it immediately decides the battle and that not even Water-type Pokemon can do anything about it. The very same in the battle against Raihan. If you ask me that smells like DEM, and how!

An episode with a generic premise but with a decent enough execution because of the small moments like the implications of being night 24/7 and the illusions battle, and how Cynthia countered it. However, I still feel Cynthia was shoehorned in, we know she and Sinnoh are related to Unown (the Dialga/Palkia's statue's inscription is written in Unown language, and there's that HGSS event too) but...is this the best idea they came up with?

7/10

Also, that magazine really baited us hinting that Unown ! & ? would appear.

The point is that G-Moves are overpowered on purpose and could count as DeM.

I consider each series as independent and none of them had ran for four years.
Even the longest running anime uses the Series System and every one of them last a year.
Hmm. Putting OS aside, both AG and DP lasted 4 years (190/191 episodes). Kanto+OI would have lasted nearly that much if the anime had debuted alongside the games.

This is entirely up to the games, and the anime has a lot more material to work with than past series did. If you think that the next generation will be announced soon after Legends' release, then okay.

Or torture people and that's about worse than Chloe who herself already comes across as a brat in that fanfic with flimsy moral justification

For what it's worth, the author of that fic has addressed a lot of the problems that came from that in later chapters and in the sequel fic that takes place afterward. Also...I kinda like that fic.

This episode was cute.

For what it's worth, the author of that fic has addressed a lot of the problems that came from that in later chapters and in the sequel fic that takes place afterward. Also...I kinda like that fic.
Then again, even then the fic still has quite the problematic writing especially with Della. I myself can't just like the fic at all with its questionable directions, but that's me. Also partly sick of hearing from it in TVT pages but again, me.

This episode was cute.
Hard agree here :)

This episode had horrific pacing. There was way too much padding at the beginning (you could have cut the parts with the kids running around talking to the townsfolk in half and you wouldn't have missed a thing) and then by the time the interesting stuff happens we're so close to the end of the episode that they have to rush through everything just to finish in time. Shirona was just kind of there, the Unown using their powers to make shadow Pokémon was dumb, and the lack of any concern among the townsfolk or Kirara's mother about the whole perpetual night thing was just too much, even for this series.

Hayashi's remix of the Sword & Shield battle theme was really cool, at least.

Hmm. Putting OS aside, both AG and DP lasted 4 years (190/191 episodes). Kanto+OI would have lasted nearly that much if the anime had debuted alongside the games.

This is entirely up to the games, and the anime has a lot more material to work with than past series did. If you think that the next generation will be announced soon after Legends' release, then okay.

And even if it is...no one has ever said that Pocket Monsters (2019) will end after the current Generation is over.

I almost cried in this episode! Poor cleffa, it was so cute! And it didnt even evolve to clefairy...

Also, I dont want ash to defeat Cynthia! He could lose to her and then defeat someone else to fight Leon.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom