• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN084: Lucarionite! Adventure on Mega Island!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what?

He never battles, unless coerced into. That makes giving him the gimmick a complete waste, I was joking when I said that the staff could attempt to do it.
For the sole reason that... It would be pretty neat, I guess.

Honestly, I don’t mind Ash getting Mega Lucario as long as it’s a conscious decision from the both of them and not Korrina randomly falling out of a plane and landing in the Sakuragi dome offering to guide him to whatever trials he’ll have to complete. I really don’t like how pretty much everything Ash has been doing in Journeys has either been out of a coincidence or someone else asking him to do something. Him seeking access to Mega Evolution is what you would expect from someone as single mindedly determined to become a pokemon master or whatever he’s going for anymore.

Place your bets! Will they even acknowledge Gengar has a Mega (or Gigantamax), let alone have Ash's use it? Or will Lucario go back to hogging things at the expense of others?
Local Gengar Mega Evolves AND Gigantamaxes at the same time. You'll Never Believe What Happens Next!

I'd like other Z-Moves besides Pikachu's sig one to be acknowledged too. Admittedly there would need to be moveset upgrades to make anyone other than Pikachu and Dragonite (assuming it still knows Hyper Beam) compatible with any of the Z-Crystals Ash owns, but candidates include: Gengar if it learns a Grass-type attack, Sirfetch'd if it learns a Grass and/or Steel-type attack, Lucario if it learns a Steel and/or Rock-type attack, Dracovish if it learns a Rock and/or Steel-type attack, Dragonite if it learns a Rock, Steel, and/or Fire-type attack (Ash's Electrium Z seems to have been permanently turned into a Pikashium-Z, so it's no longer one that any Pokemon can use, meaning no Gigavolt Havoc for Thunder/bolting or Thunderpunching Dragonite), and pretty much anyone if they learn a Normal-type attack.

I'd like other Z-Moves besides Pikachu's sig one to be acknowledged too. Admittedly there would need to be moveset upgrades to make anyone other than Pikachu and Dragonite (assuming it still knows Hyper Beam) compatible with any of the Z-Crystals Ash owns, but candidates include: Gengar if it learns a Grass-type attack, Sirfetch'd if it learns a Grass and/or Steel-type attack, Lucario if it learns a Steel and/or Rock-type attack, Dracovish if it learns a Rock and/or Steel-type attack, Dragonite if it learns a Rock, Steel, and/or Fire-type attack (Ash's Electrium Z seems to have been permanently turned into a Pikashium-Z, so it's no longer one that any Pokemon can use, meaning no Gigavolt Havoc for Thunder/bolting or Thunderpunching Dragonite), and pretty much anyone if they learn a Normal-type attack.
It's so funny how reluctant they are in giving Lucario a Steel move, right? If it goes against a Ghost Pokémon, it's over.

Like, why is giving diversity in movesets so difficult for the writers? I get there's some complications, but especially considering how wide Lucario's movepool is, and all the JN team members par maybe Pikachu have wide movepools too, it feels so... reductive and limitating having such little variety. Why have 3 Fighting moves for attacking?

It's so funny how reluctant they are in giving Lucario a Steel move, right? If it goes against a Ghost Pokémon, it's over.
And Lucario's unfortunately not even the first of Ash's Pokemon whose moveset is kinda dreadful. In fact, it's actually rather common for Ash's Pokemon's movesets to consist of three STAB attacks plus a filler move that'll be either coverage (and it will almost always be plain Normal-type coverage too) or the occasional status move. I want Lucario to at least swap out Force Palm for Meteor Mash.

Also, sidenote, but it does bug me quite a bit that Ash's Lucario's moveset is nearly identical to Cameron's Lucario's: both have a setup of three Fighting-type attacks (two of which are the basically-mandatory-for-any-Lucario Aura Sphere and the ever-predictable Force Palm) and a Normal-type status move.

Like, why is giving diversity in movesets so difficult for the writers? I get there's some complications, but especially considering how wide Lucario's movepool is, and all the JN team members par maybe Pikachu have wide movepools too, it feels so... reductive and limitating having such little variety. Why have 3 Fighting moves for attacking?
Honestly, I think it's an animation thing: to make battles as entertaining as possible it makes sense to want to make each Pokemon's move visually distinct, which unfortunately isn't always feasable with certain coverage moves; to give an example, I bet the reason we never saw Talonflame use Flare Blitz is because the move would have been visually redundant with either Brave Bird or Flame Charge. Same for Snivy never learning, say, Aqua Tail, as her Leaf Blade already involved her slamming her tail onto opponents (not to mention was a strong Grass-type STAB that didn't have a huge drawback while Vine Whip had its uses for grabbing opponents and stuff). Heck, Gengar is probably not going to learn any attacks that involve throwing orb-shaped projectiles at opponents so long as Shadow Ball remains in its arsenal simply because it wouldn't be very visually interesting to have all of Gengar's battles consist of it doing nothing but shooting differently-colored hadoukens.

Another complication is the fact that there's some attacks that are difficult to portray in animation, such as Rock Slide or Substitute, hence why these particular moves are so uncommonly seen, and unfortunately there's instances where a Pokemon's coverage moves are mainly difficult-to-animate attacks.

Granted, none of these problems actually apply to Lucario itself, since its movepool is so wide that it has plenty of move options that can form a moveset that retains both visual variety and type coverage, so who knows what the deal with that one punchy puppy is.

And Lucario's unfortunately not even the first of Ash's Pokemon whose moveset is kinda dreadful. In fact, it's actually rather common for Ash's Pokemon's movesets to consist of three STAB attacks plus a filler move that'll be either coverage (and it will almost always be plain Normal-type coverage too) or the occasional status move. I want Lucario to at least swap out Force Palm for Meteor Mash.
I was looking through Lucario's moveppol on Bulbapedia, and guess what? It has access to at least one damaging move of 15 typings. The only typings it has no access to any offensive move are Flying, Grass, and Fairy. So there's a lot to choose from here and it's bonkus they don't do anything with a movepool the sheer majority of Pokémon can only envy.
Honestly, I think it's an animation thing: to make battles as entertaining as possible it makes sense to want to make each Pokemon's move visually distinct, which unfortunately isn't always feasable with certain coverage moves; to give an example, I bet the reason we never saw Talonflame use Flare Blitz is because the move would have been visually redundant with either Brave Bird or Flame Charge. Same for Snivy never learning, say, Aqua Tail, as her Leaf Blade already involved her slamming her tail onto opponents (not to mention was a strong Grass-type STAB that didn't have a huge drawback while Vine Whip had its uses for grabbing opponents and stuff). Heck, Gengar is probably not going to learn any attacks that involve throwing orb-shaped projectiles at opponents so long as Shadow Ball remains in its arsenal simply because it wouldn't be very visually interesting to have all of Gengar's battles consist of it doing nothing but shooting differently-colored hadoukens.

Another complication is the fact that there's some attacks that are difficult to portray in animation, such as Rock Slide or Substitute, hence why these particular moves are so uncommonly seen, and unfortunately there's instances where a Pokemon's coverage moves are mainly difficult-to-animate attacks.
I get your point and I agree with it, but at the same time, I just wish Ash's Pokémon had better moves overall, you know? There's so many of his mons that could've been so much better if they just had more variety. Even if it made it less interesting visually. No way a supossed Champion level-Pokémon should have only one type of move for attacking.

I hope Ash's Smartphone Rotom will be in at summary and cast will coming up.

There is the issue with all these breaks......

What could be happening there?

Summary and VA list courtesy of Adamant

It's off to Mega Island in order to get the Mega Stone "Lucarionite" that's required for mega evolving! What are the trials awaiting Satoshi and Lucario...?! Their bond will be put to the test!

Summary:
Satoshi and Go visit Corni in order to Mega Evolve Lucario for the Pokémon World Championships. After receiving a "keystone", one of the two stones that's required for mega evolving, from Corni, Satoshi heads to Mega Island with the others to get the other one, the Mega Stone "Lucarionite". Will Satoshi and Lucario be able to strengthen their bonds and learn Mega Evolution?

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Aceburn
Daisuke Namikawa: Satoshi's Lucario
Kenta Miyake: Kairyu
Kiyotaka Furushima: Corni's Lucario
Risa Shimizu: Flygon
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Yuka Terasaki: Corni
Toshitsugu Takashina: Mega Evolution Guru
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

I hope Ash's Smartphone Rotom will be in at summary and cast will coming up.
Same actor who does the narrator so unlikely he'll be credited as the rotom phone

Some other show's airing in that time slot this week, if I remember correctly.
I wonder which one, it could be interesting.

Though, I will do the same and watch another anime on Fridays until it ends.
That may be around 91 episodes, one per week.....
I may end up being away from Anipoke for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom