• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN084: Lucarionite! Adventure on Mega Island!!

Dude let it go. There was no threat of Go getting them here but Ash certainly isn’t getting them either. The writers clearly have no interest in expanding Ash’s team considering how fast they rushed to give him a team of 6.
He probably is just glad Goh doesn't get them both
Also am I the only one whom realises that only Pokemon with Mega Evolutions appear on Mega Island?

I’m surprised they didn’t have Go capture that Sableye. It’s weird how the writers decide what Pokémon Go gets in an episode whereas other wild Pokemon in the same ep just run off before Go thinks of capturing them. Like they must be just choosing at random like throwing darts at a board.

I thought it was interesting that Bea is actually ranked lower then Volkner. Hopefully, this confirms my theory that the Hyper Class is a volatile situation and the Ash will bounce up and down the rankings and that he can beat trainers who are ranked higher then him, but also lose to trainers ranked lower then him. It should be a struggle to got out of the Hyper Class and making it difficult makes Ash getting into the Master Class seem so much more impressive.

He probably is just glad Goh doesn't get them both
Also am I the only one whom realises that only Pokemon with Mega Evolutions appear on Mega Island?
Maybe but there’s a fine line between being glad one character didn’t get something and baselessly claiming that another will especially when nothing is pointing that way and it’s just a super random set of Pokémon that the writers wouldn’t even dream of giving Ash.

Also for the Pokémon on the island, that bit was noted in the preview thread when we got the preview of this episode.

So, prior to subs, while I get a lot of the "underwhelming" posts, and the "lack of buildup" (though I'm of the mind we don't always need buildup) due to a lack of Lucario since evolution is all fair...I actually like a good bit of this episode (that being said, Gou's shenanigans do kind of take away from it here, though it adds to the Lucario needing to find Ash element). My favorite portions are at the very start, Ash simply visiting Korrina (even though there's a reason, though I get it, it'd be nice to see more, "just because" to see old characters again) and watching her battle, and towards the end, with Lucario pulling on M-Alakazam's beard, great touch there.

Oh well, this was... incredibly underwhelming.

That was the big trial? Really? Hop past the Alakazam?

What was the point of Korrina? She did nothing.

Lucario and Goh got a chunk of the episode dedicated to them and didn’t interact at all.

Dragonite and Lucario again not even acknowledging each other.

Wow... next ep better make up for this.
Where does the narrative of Lucario and Dragonite not acknowledging each other even come from? Weren’t they sparring in a past episode, and isn’t this the second time Dragonite has rescued and held Riolu/Lucario?

Korrina was there because Ash was there for her when she and Lucario went through their trials and tribulations and because it was her and her grandfather that help setup this trial for Ash in the first place?

Ash was clearly meant to defeat Alakazam, yet picked a different strategy by going straight for the Lucarionite instead.

I guess the writers consider those flashbacks of Riolu’s journey till now to be all the build-up of getting stronger. I don’t really care since Lucario has the same stoic personality of every Lucario so it’s not something I’m that interested in. Seeing it struggle to Mega evolve would be too much a rehash of Korrina’s as well

I guess the writers consider those flashbacks of Riolu’s journey till now to be all the build-up of getting stronger. I don’t really care since Lucario has the same stoic personality of every Lucario so it’s not something I’m that interested in. Seeing it struggle to Mega evolve would be too much a rehash of Korrina’s as well
It's not constantly stoic, if you look at its past. And not all previously appearing Lucario were completely stoic either.

Dude let it go. There was no threat of Go getting them here but Ash certainly isn’t getting them either. The writers clearly have no interest in expanding Ash’s team considering how fast they rushed to give him a team of 6.
They did rush through his team didn’t they? Kinda shows where he and his Pokémon stand in JN

Where does the narrative of Lucario and Dragonite not acknowledging each other even come from? Weren’t they sparring in a past episode, and isn’t this the second time Dragonite has rescued and held Riolu/Lucario?
Yet both times Dragonite might as well have been a TR balloon, since neither even looked at each other or talked or anything of the sort. I find it so uncanny that Dragonite, one of Ash’s most sociable pokemon, will sit there staring blankly while a teammate is allegedly going through big development and in need of support.

One of my favorite parts in this episode is when Pikachu took Dragonite's and Flygon's Poké Balls out of Ash's and Goh's pockets and sends out both of them. And also when Flygon flying in search for its Trainer after he, Grookey and Lucario are sent flying.

Overall...Kinda okay at best. Disappointed we didn't see Ash's Lucario fanboying over Korrina's like he did before. I do like Pikachu's quick thinking by sending out Dragonite and Flygon, though I really wish we got Lucario and Dragonite interaction. Way too much time was spent on another pointless capture for Goh also, plus we didn't even get much Lucario and Cinderace interaction then. Was nice to see a bit of expressiveness from Lucario though. Ash's test for the mega stone was alright though, so yay, Ash can now use Mega Evolution.

That capture scene lasted for less than a minute.
It was longer than his usual captures and in an episode where they apparently needed to squeeze the plot points of Ash getting the mega stone and doing his trial, was this really needed at all? Can’t the writers just let an episode of Ash’s be about his development and his alone? It’s not as though Go is hurting for new captures that they need to give him any spotlight in an episode that should be entirely Ash’s. It just becomes really tiresome after a while especially when the writers have shown that they are capable of writing an episode without Go getting pointless captures that add to nothing of the episode’s plot.

It was longer than his usual captures and in an episode where they apparently needed to squeeze the plot points of Ash getting the mega stone and doing his trial, was this really needed at all? Can’t the writers just let an episode of Ash’s be about his development and his alone? It’s not as though Go is hurting for new captures that they need to give him any spotlight in an episode that should be entirely Ash’s. It just becomes really tiresome after a while especially when the writers have shown that they are capable of writing an episode without Go getting pointless captures that add to nothing of the episode’s plot.
Goh is the biggest spotlight-stealer character in this anime, so I wasn't surprised to see him getting focus on effortlessly catching a fully-evolved Pokemon in an episode about Ash

Personally, I don't think it took that long, and thus didn't really distract me from the episode's main plot.

I kind of think the biggest thing I took away from this was Korrina’s reaction to Bea.
All the other points were predictable, or uneventful. The battle, if you can even label it that, was just there, the Aura Bond thing is apparent with every Lucario and trainer, so it doesn’t feel unique, or new, and the adventure was similar to the Mewtwo and Project Mew episode, where they have two obstacles, and reach their destination without any meaning interactions. Then, the mystery of wether or not Ash and Lucario could obtain the Lucarionite was pretty clear to see in advance.
Korrina’s reaction was something we weren’t sure was going to happen in connection to Bea, and it was nice that it did. So, that’s really the only thing that was somewhat surprising to see.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with this episode is Satoshi's abrupt interest in performing Mega Evolution his own Pokémon. He showed zero interest in the phenomenon when he was first introduced to the concept in XY, lost to a Mega Evolved Pokémon in the Kalos League, or saw his two old traveling companions (Takeshi and Kasumi) being able to use Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon. And yet in this episode, out of freaking nowhere, "I wanna Mega Evolve my Lucario." Really!? Where the hell did that come from!?!?

The biggest problem with this episode is Satoshi's abrupt interest in performing Mega Evolution his own Pokémon. He showed zero interest in the phenomenon when he was first introduced to the concept in XY, lost to a Mega Evolved Pokémon in the Kalos League, or saw his two old traveling companions (Takeshi and Kasumi) being able to use Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon. And yet in this episode, out of freaking nowhere, "I wanna Mega Evolve my Lucario." Really!? Where the hell did that come from!?!?
Unrelated, but you just reminded me of the fact that Misty and Brock have Mega Evolutions. So as of this episode, all 3 members of the OG trio are now capable of performing Mega Evolution. That’s a fun little fact.

It's called offscreen land/development and JN Ash being the biggest pinball incarnation of his character with no drive for anything until he suddenly wants it. Why didn't he go for Mega Stones for older Pokemon? Because he doesn't cares about his older mons until the plot needs them to be nostalgiabait

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom