• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN084: Lucarionite! Adventure on Mega Island!!

That capture scene lasted for less than a minute.
It might had been for less than a minute, but not only did it lasted longer than it usually goes for Goh captures, it also cemented what I said in the preview thread:

The fact that the writers just desperately want Goh to get something in nearly every ep absolutely sucks. Cuz of the way they structured Goh's goal, any capture is progress to him, which means he gets to progress even when an ep is not supossed to be about him. This ep was supossed to be focused squarely on Ash and his Lucario but we were forced to watch yet another pointless and useless capture for Goh because the writers simply cannot bear the idea of their diamond-encrusted golden child not getting a treat everytime he steps foot outside.

It might be inconsequential but this should've been focused solely on Ash, Goh should've just walked with him and not captured anything. His captures should be only in his own eps and fillers, not on someone else's episode like this one.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with this episode is Satoshi's abrupt interest in performing Mega Evolution his own Pokémon. He showed zero interest in the phenomenon when he was first introduced to the concept in XY, lost to a Mega Evolved Pokémon in the Kalos League, or saw his two old traveling companions (Takeshi and Kasumi) being able to use Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon. And yet in this episode, out of freaking nowhere, "I wanna Mega Evolve my Lucario." Really!? Where the hell did that come from!?!?

....It's weird.

You do not need much to set that up. Heck, you have what you need to set it up.

Ash is literally in spitting distance of battling Cynthia, that should give him enough of a push to pull out new and old tricks.

Like, the writers have everything they need for it....but aren't connecting the dots.

....I won't lie, I really think this and the Z-Ring came back because something behind the scenes shifted. Like IDK....they thought Dynamax was more usuable than it actually was or something.

EDIT: I can, however, believe that Ash's previous adventures with Korrina mean that he can ask her for a Keystone and stuff and she'd be quick to help him.

Ash should've always had a interest in mega evolution from the start and it was always stupidly contrived since XY to just have him act like he doesn't care about it at all, like not even give a explanation of why he's not interested in using it just NOTHING at all. So Ash's sudden interest here is more in character for him regarding the subject then what they were doing for like 8 years prior

Oh yeah, episode thoughts

• Feel like they could have given Korrina a more imposing opponent than a Quiladin to use Mega Evolution, but she won a battle for a change so good on her.
  • As said before, I can buy that if Ash asked Korrina she would give him a stone. Goh.....nope.
  • The Key Stones and Mega Stones hold the energy of the ancient weapon and Infinity Energy and stuff and Aura is life energy. That being traceable makes sense IMO
  • ....Look episode while I am not exactly critical on the idea that Ash and Lucario have the bond strength for the stone you don't have to use stuff in the episode to justify it. That just gives the critics ammo
  • Um....what? Mega Island just....appeared randomly and is filled with Mega Stones. I am not going to lie: THIS REALLY FASCINATES ME! Note to self, remember for Reset Bloodlines.
    • A reminder I am the writer of Reset Bloodlines. I did Ash with a Z-Ring and Key Stones/Mega Stones first, though as of now Ash only has a Sceptilite Misty haggled off a Sea Person for all her old clothes and a Gengarite that Iris won in a game of Sinistea Following.
  • Ash needs more adventures these days. Remember you live in a Pokemon World, and not our world with fire badgers
  • How did a Abomasnow get on an island that only just appeared?
  • Korrina's pose on the giant lilypads,....
  • Or you could get out of the fire zone!
  • How did a Camerupt get on an island that only just appeared?
  • What even is that Rain Dance? I feel like Goomy did something similar........maybe.....did the rain dance it summoned on Serena (?) move with her or not?
  • I continue to find this island interesting. Just what is it?
  • Korrina's look says 'I need to find Gurkinn a love interest or a television show to bingewatch'.
  • Yeah the Goh lost plot didn' need to happen....
This show has the right ideas but bad executions most of the time, or at least sub optimal.

A reminder I am the writer of Reset Bloodlines. I did Ash with a Z-Ring and Key Stones/Mega Stones first, though as of now Ash only has a Sceptilite Misty haggled off a Sea Person for all her old clothes and a Gengarite that Iris won in a game of Sinistea Following.
Wow, didn't knew this. That's a great Hilarious in Hindsight entry to make in TVT. Love your fic, BTW

Wow, didn't knew this. That's a great Hilarious in Hindsight entry to make in TVT. Love your fic, BTW

It comes up sometimes. It's werid when I do things and then the anime does them...often worse.

Like I did a Pikachu v Mudsdale fight for example, and on my side gig as a co-writer on the better end of Blossomtrail I did the Z-ring in Journeys thing.

(...My tendrils extend in many directions, even as they extend in some directions to point in better ways and to use side stories to make Parker squirm)

(...My tendrils extend in many directions, even as they extend in some directions to point in better ways and to use side stories to make Parker squirm)
hmm-intensifies-anime.gif

Welp, I think for the most part, I stand by what I said earlier about my favorite parts (well, in addition to Pikachu getting Dragonite and Flygon's Pokeballs, and then Ash chilling upside down being carried by Dragonite). Lucario was easily the most expressive we've seen him, and that is both good and bad, as that simply means we should've seen more of him (which is ironic, given the issue people had with Riolu). Also, someone brought up Ash should've been interested in Mega Evolution in Kalos, and that is correct, but it is still not a great moment to see Ash exclaim that they "need" it to win at this level (I mean, it's fine in the competitive sense, but yeah).

As much as I'd love to discuss the many ways I like to make Blossomverse Parker regret existing, though still Mega Island!

I don't know why, but the thing excites me! What is this island?!

(Did Gurkinn name it because Mega Island makes me think 'Gurkinn named it'.)

As much as I'd love to discuss the many ways I like to make Blossomverse Parker regret existing, though still Mega Island!

I don't know why, but the thing excites me! What is this island?!

(Did Gurkinn name it because Mega Island makes me think 'Gurkinn named it'.)
Rayquaza: So how do we name this goldmine island of Mega Stones, old man?
Gurrkin: Mega Island.
Rayquza: Fucking superb you funky little old man

Ash Dragnite and Goh Flygon was it more of chance these two be chosen for this episode because they were post to have mega evolutions

While Goh catching a fully evolved, fully aware Camerupt with a single pokeball without a fight annoys me, I just can’t help but crack up by how completely unfazed it was.

“Oh well, guess I’m being snatched away now. I’d ask you to tell my kids I love them, but boy would that be a lie.”
There's a reason guys in Serebii say Goh has "Goh Pheromones" that make every Pokemon he meets and wants to catch as easily catchable as an asleep 1 HP Level 1 Magikarp

Now Ash has got the Mega Glove, he's going to get some Mega Stone for his old Pokémon or his catching some final evolved Pokémon like, Salamence, Sharpedo, Steelix, Tyranitar Aggron and any to make them Mega Evolved.

There's a reason guys in Serebii say Goh has "Goh Pheromones" that make every Pokemon he meets and wants to catch as easily catchable as an asleep 1 HP Level 1 Magikarp
I mean you saw the Alcremie episode. At this point I honestly question if the writers are even self-aware to the sheer ridiculousness they’ve created with Go and his captures.

Ah, Journeys. All you had to do was a small fun adventure of bonding with Ash and Lucario only, but of course you have to spoil it with your usual stuff:

• The Camerupt thing. I don't usually mind those obligatory Goh captures, but this time it was with a Pokemon that was clearly stated to be on the island because it wanted to Mega evolve some day, so it's a big plot hole that it chose to go with Goh instead. And I don't understand why it was another battle-free catch when Panpour was already out.
  • The "battle" was an extremely inferior version, or should I even say a parody, of XY030, with zero emotion or strategy involved.
  • Ash really only cares about Lucario Mega evolving, Gengar and his old Pokemon be damned. They could have handwaved it by saying that Gengar is not interested or that only Lucarite has been seen in the island, but nope. It's honestly a recurring problem with the series, the writers present us with a plot advance and we are expected to accept it immediately and not think too much about the implications. There's even another example of that at the end, where the chance of Mega Lucario's debut magically appears. What if...Ash wanted Mega evolution because of his upcoming battle with Bea? Nah, the writers aren't like that.
1/10

Here's my newest issue with Ash's upcoming Mega Lucario. Yes, I somehow found another reason to utterly despise the direction Journeys is taking lately, as though I didn't already throw this season in the trash next to BW and XY already.

Shadow Tag, if written and fandangled in a certain way, could be a huge help in solving the problems Ash's Gengar keeps facing. Y'know, the Gengar that hasn't gotten any straight wins for nearly 70 episodes because its shit-eating face is being kicked in by practically everything that moves faster. Some good Shadow Tag ensnarement stuff might seriously save a few battles like those in the future.

But nooooo, apparently Lucario is the one who so desperately needs and deserves the boost more, because it's just so popular and the writers love giving a Lucario all kinds of special and preferential treatment. Never mind the fact that one of Lucario's teammates has been one of the biggest and most consistent letdowns since Ash's Torterra and may well need the Mega Evolution just to overcome this slump it's in. Fuck Gengar's legitimate issues that Ash has never once bothered to try and rectify, and fuck the fact that he hasn't used Sirfetch'd in any major battle since its evolution, in this season we suddenly are only supposed to care about Lucario's progress! Events like these are providing full vindication for my concerns from way back when Ash got that Riolu egg, it truly seems to be the second coming of Ash-Greninja!

Yes, a team can have more than one Mega-capable Pokémon. No, I do not expect Ash to also get a Gengarite, or a Salamencite, or a Sablenite, or any other type of Mega Stone. The writers have proven in past seasons that they utterly suck at giving such balanced treatment to Ash's teams; there's usually at least one new Pokémon that soaks up the lion's share of growth and development at the full expense of their teammates and winds up mostly carrying everything by the end of their season. Charizard, Infernape, Sceptile during its Sinnoh League reappearance, arguably Krookodile, especially Greninia, and now Lucario.

For that reason, I beg of everyone: Do not delude yourselves into thinking this new love might be spread around. There will inexplicably be no room for a Mega Gengar or any other Mega Evolution on Ash's Journeys team as far as our writers are concerned. This is all going to be for their super precious aura doge and nobody else is allowed to touch it, I fucking guarantee you.

Here's my newest issue with Ash's upcoming Mega Lucario. Yes, I somehow found another reason to utterly despise the direction Journeys is taking lately, as though I didn't already throw this season in the trash next to BW and XY already.
Do you think XY is bad just because of the AshGreninja focus? I recall you saying you gave up on XY during the Diantha ep and I’m not sure why that would bother you.
But nooooo, apparently Lucario is the one who so desperately needs and deserves the boost more, because it's just so popular and the writers love giving a Lucario all kinds of special and preferential treatment. Never mind the fact that one of Lucario's teammates has been one of the biggest and most consistent letdowns since Ash's Torterra and may well need the Mega Evolution just to overcome this slump it's in. Fuck Gengar's legitimate issues that Ash has never once bothered to try and rectify, and fuck the fact that he hasn't used Sirfetch'd in any major battle since its evolution, in this season we suddenly are only supposed to care about Lucario's progress! Events like these are providing full vindication for my concerns from way back when Ash got that Riolu egg, it truly seems to be the second coming of Ash-Greninja!

Yes, a team can have more than one Mega-capable Pokémon. No, I do not expect Ash to also get a Gengarite, or a Salamencite, or a Sablenite, or any other type of Mega Stone. The writers have proven in past seasons that they utterly suck at giving such balanced treatment to Ash's teams; there's usually at least one new Pokémon that soaks up the lion's share of growth and development at the full expense of their teammates and winds up mostly carrying everything by the end of their season. Charizard, Infernape, Sceptile during its Sinnoh League reappearance, arguably Krookodile, especially Greninia, and now Lucario.

For that reason, I beg of everyone: Do not delude yourselves into thinking this new love might be spread around. There will inexplicably be no room for a Mega Gengar or any other Mega Evolution on Ash's Journeys team as far as our writers are concerned. This is all going to be for their super precious aura doge and nobody else is allowed to touch it, I fucking guarantee
We already know through the toys Gengar will be Gigantamaxing at some point. It’s pretty much confirmed. It was always obvious they would Mega evolve Lucario and it makes sense to do so.

Also no team in the past has ever had a proper division of screentime, all his Kanto/Johto and Hoenn teams screwed over certain Pokémon, and of course so did BW and to a lesser extent XY.

DP probably came close to decent balance but even then Gliscor and Gible didn’t do much and Torterra got progressively worse as it evolved.

Also no team in the past has ever had a proper division of screentime, all his Kanto/Johto and Hoenn teams screwed over certain Pokémon, and of course so did BW and to a lesser extent XY.

DP probably came close to decent balance but even then Gliscor and Gible didn’t do much and Torterra got progressively worse as it evolved.
SM had decent focus as well. Outside of Naganadel in the last episodes, hell not one guy was the fall guy in the last matches and even the lowly Rowlet got to shine

Lucario "soaking up screen time" is a pretty laughable argument for one to make with any of his Pokémon in JN like yeah I guess Lucario has the most focus but it barely meets the level of focus a middle tier significant Pokémon like Hawlucha, Gliscor, or even Corphish got in every other series like it's that dire right now. What was even Lucario's last significant focus episode? The one with Cinderace last year? Cmon now, there are no winners when it comes to the Pokémon focus this saga only lesser losers

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom