• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN085: Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Saitou!!

I don't think Force Palm is that universal compared to Aura Sphere, though. We've seen plenty of Lucarios that don't have Force Palm in their moveset in contrast to the grand total of one single Lucario that wasn't shown using Aura Sphere. If anything, I'd argue that Bone Rush is more common in anime Lucario movesets than Force Palm is.
Agreed. Riley's, Korrina's, Gurkinn's, Prof. Kukui's, and Sorrel's Lucario did not know Force Palm, it's only been Maylene, Cameron, and now Ash’s that knew it. Bone Rush, on the other hand, has been known by all but four Lucario in the anime: the aforementioned ones belonging to Maylene, Cameron, and Ash, and Prof. Kukui. Also, some one else said this too I believe, but I can't help but notice the similarities between Ash’s Lucario's moveset and Cameron's. Three damaging Fighting type moves, then a Normal type status move. Weird.

Last edited:
Also, some one else said this too I believe, but I can't help but notice the similarities between Ash’s Lucario's moveset and Cameron's. Three damaging Fighting type moves, then a Normal type status move. Weird.
That someone else was me, actually :D

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, but Maylene's Lucario actually did know Bone Rush, so it's only been Cameron's, Kukui's, and Ash's Lucarios who've never used it.

Last edited:
That someone else was me, actually :D

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, but Maylene's Lucario actually did know Bone Rush, so it's only been Cameron's, Kukui's, and Ash's Lucarios who've never used it.
Well how about that. And oops, I messed up before. I should have said Bone Rush has been known by all but three Lucario in the anime. Thanks for pointing that out.

By the way Ghost Diplocaulus, I noticed you're a bit of a night owl like me, huh?

If a move's getting replaced, it's definitely not Force Palm. That move has inexplicably become near-equal to Aura Sphere in the anime at least as far as Lucario are concerned. No way would they have a Lucario forget Force Palm.

Force Palm is the closest thing we have to One Piece in Ash’s team. We can’t get rid of it.

Yet Pikachu infamously forgot its species' actual signature move and coup de grace in Volt Tackle; getting rid of Force Palm, a move that isn't even used by every Lucario we've seen in the anime, doesn't seem as outlandish in comparison.

Plus, looking at Lucario's moveset, it makes the most sense:
  • Aura Sphere gives Lucario a ranged move (and the only one it currently has); it's also more affiliated to the species than Force Palm.
  • Reversal is Ash's trump card for dealing big damage the closer Lucario is to being knocked out/after having taken a lot of damage. It's Lucario's finisher, essentially.
  • Double Team is there for utility & subterfuge that the other moves don't provide. It also serves as a vehicle for writers regarding making Lucario's battles visually engaging.
Thus if something were to go, the relatively simple physical contact move would be the more likely option. Maybe for Metal Claw, Shadow Claw, Close Combat, Iron Tail, Extreme Speed, or whatever else really; they should really give it a unique move.

Yet Pikachu infamously forgot its species' actual signature move and coup de grace in Volt Tackle; getting rid of Force Palm, a move that isn't even used by every Lucario we've seen in the anime, doesn't seem as outlandish in comparison.

Plus, looking at Lucario's moveset, it makes the most sense:
  • Aura Sphere gives Lucario a ranged move (and the only one it currently has); it's also more affiliated to the species than Force Palm.
  • Reversal is Ash's trump card for dealing big damage the closer Lucario is to being knocked out/after having taken a lot of damage. It's Lucario's finisher, essentially.
  • Double Team is there for utility & subterfuge that the other moves don't provide. It also serves as a vehicle for writers regarding making Lucario's battles visually engaging.
Thus if something were to go, the relatively simple physical contact move would be the more likely option. Maybe for Metal Claw, Shadow Claw, Close Combat, Iron Tail, Extreme Speed, or whatever else really; they should really give it a unique move.

I'm kind of feeling Meteor Mash myself. Maybeeee Blaze Kick, as they do some sort of Cinderace kinship thing there.

By the way Ghost Diplocaulus, I noticed you're a bit of a night owl like me, huh?
Haha, yeah, I am XD I've had that problem for severeal years now and I haven't really been able to fix it. My sleep schedule is all over the dang place as a result.

Reversal is Ash's trump card for dealing big damage the closer Lucario is to being knocked out/after having taken a lot of damage. It's Lucario's finisher, essentially.
Plus, Reversal is a move that no other Lucario in the anime has used (in fact, Ash's Riolu/Lucario happens to be literally the only Pokemon in the anime to have used that move so far), meaning it gives Ash's one its own unique flair. It also fits perfectly with its personality and battle style, since Lucario is noticeably determined and has a tendency to endure brutal beatings, so Reversal fits it like a glove.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom