• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN086: Mega Evolution VS Kyodaimax

There was no rivalry, not between the Pokemon nor their trainers.

But I get that people wanted to give Sir Kamon some amount of closure.

Lucario once again gets Plot-armor and a Deus ex Machina. It's the Writers' Pet.

If there was a need for a Jobber, then it should have been Pikachu, due to him already being so overexposed this series.

I read a resume/review instead of watching.

I wouldn't have minded Sirfetch'd jobbing here if it at least landed its shield boomerang. Even though Hawlucha dodged the initial throw, I was fully expecting the shield to spin around and hit Hawlucha in the back while it was charging its Sky Attack. Instead the shield just... unceremoniously returns to Sirfetch'd. Bummer. At least we actually saw the shield blocking some attacks, so it wasn't completely useless, I guess. Also, when the leek shined right before clashing with Hawlucha, I was kinda expecting the attack to transform into Meteor Assault (especially considering that Sirfetch'd was literally falling from the sky), but I guess I was expecting too much.

At least Gengar felt like it did something in the Volkner fight, which is why I really didn't want to call it a "jobber" in that fight. Can't say much about Sirfetch'd here, though. Blocking Machamp's attacks and landing a Fury Cutter (?) on it was cool, but it didn't feel like it did that much damage compared to when Gengar landed a Psychic and a Night Shade on Luxray. Hopefully it'll get more chances to shine in future battles.

Even though Hawlucha dodged the initial throw, I was fully expecting the shield to spin around and hit Hawlucha in the back while it was charging its Sky Attack.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was expecting that. I was expecting them to clash and the shield would hit Hawlucha in the back of the head mid-clash.

Finally! It's been a long time since I truly enjoyed a PWC battle (Visquez). The animation was great with every attack having good speed and force behind it and a lack of noticeable reused shots, at least on first viewing. Music selection was also much better compared to previous episodes, adding to the intensity.

Some missed opportunities with storyboarding/choreography like the aforementioned Sirfetch'd boomerang that I was also anticipating, and while I'd appreciate Ash not being put in a comeback situation so often, the KOs felt reasonable.

I was wondering if there would be a hint (or outright reveal) of Ash's next opponent, but alas.

This episode just summarised what this rivalry felt like to me, nothing but a year of wasted potential glorified into the teasing of two powerful mechanics being put on display.

Whether it was Sirfetch’d not being able to atone for its previous loss, Lucario one-tapping it’s main “rival”, the short battle duration between opponents prior to Machamp v Lucario, nothing felt actually attached to an emotional story.
None of those plot-points matter apparently. All that matters is that this rivalry is to be nothing but a selling point of Gigantamax and Mega Evolution. How can I get invested? What’s the point when the only decently established rivalry between two Pokemon is settled in one-hit? When a Pokemon badly lacking battle-time, god-forbid screen-time, is out without doing much, making its journey of getting stronger (which had more focus than Lucario’s) essentially dictated by one battle against a Gallade that will never amount to something?
A saw a comment by someone where I watched the video, and they said that the writers might as well return to 2v2s, because all the writers care about is Pikachu and Lucario, with a pinch of Dragonite.

The only positives I can give is that Ash felt more like himself battling, with the mention that he’s using more fluid strategies with his Pokemon, like he did in previous seasons.
But, whilst I’m not surprised, I’m not exactly happy either. It’s not a bad episode, just could have been a lot, LOT better prepared

To cheer up Sirfetch’d fans, which includes myself, here’s an image that may make you smile.
Our little Captain America, the shield even came straight back to him.

50CF4745-C309-4FC0-916E-116868E9B614.png

BBE0C2C8-78F4-4AAB-B861-9D3865B06863.jpeg

Last edited:
This episode was pretty good.
We get the epic battle between G-Max Machamp and Mega Lucario, and we also get a very cool moment with Lucario learning steel beam.
If Sir Kamon wasn't yeeted so early, this episode would probably have been perfect, but it's still very great overall.

9/10

Sir’fetch’d losing was a bummer, but the back half of the episode made up for it. Lucario vs. Machamp was one of the best animated battles of the saga and I really liked all the different techniques and moves Lucario did. Gigantamax running out in 3 turns was a nice touch as well. To a lesser extent Pikachu vs Hawlucha was really good.

I’d give it an 8/10 for being a very well written battle, although I admit Sir’fetch’d not getting to do much brought it down a bit.

Should've had Lucario vs Machamp be the first fight, then Lucario gets too tired to maintain Mega Evolution, but ekes out a draw against Grapploct again (as a nod to the fact Grapploct wasn't healed from its previous fight in their last match before tying with Riolu) and then let Sirfetch'd be the one to net Ash the win while Pikachu's just there to soften up Hawlucha

Really? Really?! REALLY?! Half a year of waiting for Sirfetch'd to do anything other than be a glorified letter opener, and all it does is lose?! Meanwhile Lucario takes a majority of the wins two times in a row! This anime has never had me this frustrated before. Christ, this battle was awful.
I’m reminded of the Torterra/Infernape situation in the Volkner gym battle where Torterra was the fall guy so Infernape could get 2 wins.

I think this episode also proved how Gigantamax battles can work in the anime. The previous ones were too stiff as Iwane complained on Twitter animating giant Pokémon in fights is too difficult; but they managed to make Machamp look like a strong behemoth here even if it only got to do 3 attacks.

Sir’fetch’d though is a bummer. At least Gengar has his Gigantamax glory to look forward to eventually, but whelp

I never even watched that show, and I find the meme annoying, but there's absolutely no way that the part in the end of the battle wasn't a JoJo reference.

The writers are clearly playing favourites.

That only adds fuel to my hate of Lucario.

Give it all the buffs and I will never consider it a true Ace.

It’s basically the main Pokémon in a time of remakes. I just wish his other underused Pokémon like Dracovish and Sir’fetch’d got more battles to make up for it. At least Gengar likely has a big victory coming.

It’s basically the main Pokémon in a time of remakes. I just wish his other underused Pokémon like Dracovish and Sir’fetch’d got more battles to make up for it. At least Gengar likely has a big victory coming.
When/where will Gengar get this big victory?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom