• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN087: The Ice Queen and Glacia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me guess.....

It will make everything worse, or even cause the main conflict, due to falling in love once again....
I also hated that attempt at a running gag, it is so overdone.

....What annoucement gets Ash in a school. What contrivance could possibly be used?

The fact that they're forcing Ash and Goh into this episode's plot feels so annoying to me. There's nothing lost by excluding both from this episode unless they somehow make them important to the plot, which shouldn't happen given that this episode is supposed to be focused on Chloe. It would be interesting to see the story go from Chloe's perspective from the very beginning, where we follow her life at school. It's a very unique perspective and one that should be allowed to get more time to flesh itself out. Ash and Goh can easily be in the episode itself but there's no reason for them to be at school. Like, Ash doesn't even go to the school? And Goh just ceremoniously decides when he wants to go with no repercussions? Kids aren't dumb, this is going to get some heads scratching even if its found entertaining. I think I would find this episode far more interesting if it would focus solely on Chloe without any excess characters. It could briefly look into Ash and Goh from an outsider's perspective too, which we don't see very much in the anime. It's a new ground that I think the anime should explore in terms of fleshing other characters out, but alas the opportunity is wasted.

Okay. I'll come back for this one.

And it was for the class like I said before.

My retirement ended up being shorter than what I originally intended.

The fact that they're forcing Ash and Goh into this episode's plot feels so annoying to me. There's nothing lost by excluding both from this episode unless they somehow make them important to the plot, which shouldn't happen given that this episode is supposed to be focused on Chloe. It would be interesting to see the story go from Chloe's perspective from the very beginning, where we follow her life at school. It's a very unique perspective and one that should be allowed to get more time to flesh itself out. Ash and Goh can easily be in the episode itself but there's no reason for them to be at school. Like, Ash doesn't even go to the school? And Goh just ceremoniously decides when he wants to go with no repercussions? Kids aren't dumb, this is going to get some heads scratching even if its found entertaining. I think I would find this episode far more interesting if it would focus solely on Chloe without any excess characters. It could briefly look into Ash and Goh from an outsider's perspective too, which we don't see very much in the anime. It's a new ground that I think the anime should explore in terms of fleshing other characters out, but alas the opportunity is wasted.
Disadvantages of being a support character! :unsure:

Staff list courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Screenplay 松井亜弥 (Aya Matsui)
Storyboard 古川晟 (Noboru Furukawa)
Episode Director 古川晟 (Noboru Furukawa)
Animation Director 大西雅也 (Masaya Onishi)
Animation Director 伊藤京子 (Kyoko Ito)

Where's Team Rocket when we actually NEED them?

"They're getting ready the big Sinnoh arc!"

Oh...

Reactions: Jez
Let me guess.....

It will make everything worse, or even cause the main conflict, due to falling in love once again....
I also hated that attempt at a running gag, it is so overdone.
I think it's meant to be a play on Dewgong sharing its Japanese voice actor with Brock.

I keep saying I'll have to watch these Koharu ones and then end up not doing it, so we'll see if this one manages to be the one that I actually watch. I'll actually be home for it this time, so there's a good chance it will be.

wow ok I just watched this preview and Regina is so pretty! Definitely have a weakness for silver-haired characters, her design is super nice :bulbaLove: I already enjoy school-centric episodes so this is one I'll probably like. More focus on Chloe and her experiences at school is always welcome, though I honestly wish this could've leaned more in Chloe's direction than Ash and Go's - I'd have loved to see more of her personal day-to-day experiences at school. Sorry boys, love you both but Chloe always deserves more.

Oh, lovely, so it's an original Japanese gag that loses all meaning when dubbed. I thought we had enough of those with Samson Oak.
I mean, I don’t think it’s that bad because outside of Japan it can just be a random gag that has been done with many Pokémon before, but Samson Oak comes off as borderline insane.

Oh, lovely, so it's an original Japanese gag that loses all meaning when dubbed. I thought we had enough of those with Samson Oak.
The dub could have easily cast Bill Rogers (Brock's current dub voice actor) as that specific Dewgong; but I guess they either valued consistency with other Dewgong or missed the joke entirely.
I mean, I don’t think it’s that bad because outside of Japan it can just be a random gag that has been done with many Pokémon before, but Samson Oak comes off as borderline insane.
The biggest issue with Samson is that the Pokémon name puns were accompanied by a specific facial impression in the animation. There are certainly Pokémon name puns you can make in English, but having to follow the animation makes the timing unnatural, along with requiring the same Pokémon mentioned in the Japanese script to be kept, when a different one might fit the context better in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom