• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN087: The Ice Queen and Glacia

Kindness, unexpected battle sharpness, world travel, oh friendship. A lot about that one
Friendship and kindness i suppose could work, but the other two are more just things he ends up doing than things he actively thinks about, which i think was specifically what the thing was about. Might be wrong though just basing it off of visuals.

LOL
20211112_180720.jpg
20211112_180701.jpg
20211112_180639.jpg

Ash can understand how his Pokemon feel?
Damn son the Reluctant Pikachu episode could've fooled me! :ROFLMAO:

Also I like the implication that Goh can understand his Starters feelings except for Inteleon's. Lmao Truly the Middle Child syndrome :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
And there is it, the cursed Satoshi drawing.

One thing this episode left us was a new meme template.

I would actually argue Journeys is a decently funny show, and is only outranked by the Indigo League and S&M in terms of humour. D&P may beat it, but only slightly.
Just a shame the writing isn’t up there…

This was actually not a bad episode. The episode was filler, but it was good filler, as it was heartwarming to see the relationship between Regina and Micie, and the part where Micie was revealled to have a tragic backstory, while it's been done to death and back,it still works here. Regina also feels like a good character and one we could potentially (and by potentially, I mean never) see in the future due to the ending where it's implied that Ash,Chloe and Goh have allowed her successfully integrate into school life and even start battling. I also like how the parents support Regina throughout this.
However, regardless have how good it is, it's still filler.

7/10

Always love an episode about bullying where the bullies get rewarded at the end of the day

Good grief what a slap in the face to kids who suffered in school because of how they looked or were named

Rather abrupt ending too - SUDDENLY SHE'S A TRAINER

How long was that time skip?

ok if my current avatar is any indication, I loved this episode. Regina is as adorable as I knew she'd be and I was attached to her/her story the whole time. I was a little worried when we first saw her parents speak with the Professor about Glaceon but it's great they understood in the end. Knowing she got into Pokémon battles was a nice way to end the episode too - I really hope we actually do see her come back when summer vacation starts and potentially battle someone. Please pokéani, don't forget her <3 The art and animation for this episode was better than most and you can tell more effort/work went into fleshing her out. Here's hoping for a return!

I can see why some people may not enjoy the lack of action in these slower-paced episodes, but for me, seeing the struggles of everyday life laid out and characters overcoming them is one the many charms of this series to me.

Now let's see this episode. I'm curious, as alongside Reset I actually do work in the Blossomverse of Blossoming Trail and co (Mostly in stories where Chloe is on less of a moral high ground and where she has to deal with problems without the I.T) and this episode premise feels like one that could come up in a future story or oneshot there.

• I love Ash's depressed expression as they go out. It just screams 'I get stalked by the Yakuza weekly so I don't have to go to school'.
  • There is something I like about Ash is worried about Goh doing an 'Ash is awesome!' presentation. Also, this bizarrely reminds me of an idea I've thrown around to Green once or twice about Ash being taken to the school as part of a friendship festival where a person has to bring a friend to school with them (though in the idea I tossed to Green it was Chloe who did so, as Goh has his Pokemon to bring instead so he lends Chloe Ash.)
  • 'People you are friends with'. Oh yikes it was like that idea. If I had written that idea out it would probably get troped by Green and co already (I instead went with a Reset-Blossom fusion fic where the solution to Blossom Chloe's lack of friends was to trick her to go to a family reunion of Ash and his hundreds of Reset-verse half siblings and hope she makes friends that way, and in worst case she'd still get paid for helping to feed them)
  • Ash is funny. Goh said it. Add it to the list.
  • Girls staring at each other....well glad the series isn't just fueling the Ash slash for a change.
  • ....Wow Goh....Ash's art skills fluctuate but yours......oh dear. I guess this friend showcase was a requirement so Goh had to come to school for it.
  • ....You know, if this was Blossoming Trail I think these kids would be worshipping Ash the Alolan Champion and not laughing at him about his head. Though Chloe did call it a comedy duo, so that is a work around to the two interpretations. Personally I'd add a large touch of 'why does he get to be free and we have to go to school', because I legit wonder why this kids have Pokemon partners yet aren't booking it.
  • I like the subtle reminder of Ash having some level of empathetic sense with Pokemon that comes up from time to time, and I also like how Ash noted that Goh isn't lacking it either.
  • Teach better mean 'Ash, you can go to the teacher's lounge and eat the extra doughnuts'.
  • So Regina is in Vermillion only for a short while....ouch. The frequent mover. Also I wonder why no one told her she can't have Glaceon on her before she got to class. That seems.....a little weird.
  • I'm reminded of that Meowth death fantasy where Glaceon appeared with Lopunny and Gardevoir at this Glaceon touching scene.
  • Ash really doesn't have anything else he could be doing? Like if he really had Pokemon in his head all day you'd think he'd be off in the woods or something right now. Also interesting how Goh is part of the new student greeting mob.
  • Wow out of context just a bit and the kids look like a mob. I mean also good on Ash for trying to settle the mob down. Very good, it's almost like he's probably older than them or more experienced or something.
  • Okay parents.....you can put that Glaceon might get in the way of Regina having friends, but maybe not ask why Glaceon might think mobs of children are bad? .....You risk yourselves with dangerous fanfics that way.
  • Oh hey that 'don't do X!' 'You thought I was doing X?' trope.
  • So Glaceon falls ill because it makes too many Blizzards.....it's an Ice Type......does Glaceon swallow a lot of the things or something?
  • You feed Glaceon, you brush Glaceon, you let Glaceon sleep on your bed, you do plenty to pay Glaceon back for bully control.
  • ....Wow, you didn't notice your withdrawn daughter whose partner freezes people might have had bullying problems? B.T, B.T, B.T
  • And hey, this was a problem because of lack of communications....B.T, B.T, B.T. Bizarre.....
  • What....what did you two think Glaceon was!? Glaceon was either a overprotective friend, or you thought that something unspeakable was going on.
  • ....IDK, I feel like 'I'm sorry but my Glaceon reacts to situations that remind her of my past bullying problem with ice' would be better than apologizing. I suspect Japanese V.D.
  • A time skip? So...does Ash get that package before his next WCS battle or after one?

well with that....nifty and cute. Still not sure why Ash stayed there and I suspect some value hiccups exist about how Regina was handled but....fine and dandy.

What....what did you two think Glaceon was!? Glaceon was either a overprotective friend, or you thought that something unspeakable was going on.
Regina's parents could think that Glaceon was jealous because of attention from other kids to Regina and wanted to be her only friend. You know, bullies usually don't admit that they were bullying.

Regina's parents could think that Glaceon was jealous because of attention from other kids to Regina and wanted to be her only friend. You know, bullies usually don't admit that they were bullying.
Mieze thought the students were bullying her trainer (they were) and attacked them

Problem is that Regina never talked to Mieze, so she kept attacking anyone that got near her, preventing her from making any friends, which her parents were worried about and considered taking the glaceon away so Regina could have a normal life

Mieze thought the students were bullying her trainer (they were) and attacked them

Problem is that Regina never talked to Mieze, so she kept attacking anyone that got near her, preventing her from making any friends, which her parents were worried about and considered taking the glaceon away so Regina could have a normal life
The problem was in Regina herself. She chose such behaviour when someone else protects her from dangers and didn't regret about it before. She used her pokemon's love as an excuse to stay shut-in, not to be hurt anymore by anyone else.

Rather abrupt ending too - SUDDENLY SHE'S A TRAINER

How long was that time skip?
I don't think it was that hard to get that Glaceon to be destructive on command; Mieze-chan is all too eager to oblige in that department. Getting her to cooperate with others must have been harder, but I found it believable.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom