• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN088: Trial Mission! The Deep Sea Diver Research Team!!

Previously on the two Journeys episodes, Ash's flashback of his battles against Johto and Sinnoh Gym Leaders Chuck and Volkner had appeared. However, his flashback of his battle against Drake from Vanity Affair! had not, so I wonder why you think?
It took this long for a character from AG to reappear in the series when every other gen got a character included much earlier. The lack of a flashback, not even showing Pikachu vs Shelgon which would make sense in this context, makes me think the writers don't really care to bring up things from AG at all. Even Brandon could have been included in this Regi subplot they have going.

Gou is an inept battler, that's nothing new.

Having the plot doing the bulk of the work instead of him and his own skills, doesn't change that.

And Satoshi's cheers don't add, multiply instead.

I am mourning poor Kingdra. That mon really got trashed.

It took this long for a character from AG to reappear in the series when every other gen got a character included much earlier. The lack of a flashback, not even showing Pikachu vs Shelgon which would make sense in this context, makes me think the writers don't really care to bring up things from AG at all. Even Brandon could have been included in this Regi subplot they have going.
XY didn't get a flashback when Korrina first returned, either, so I don't think it's because of it being an AG reference. It's just that not every callback necessarily needs a flashback.

While this is true, Ash vs Korrina was referenced via Gurkkin though, so no flashback really needed for that one.
Ash and Korrina mentioned it too. And Ash and Drake's battle wasn't really that notable to mention for the purpose of this episode, since this episode wasn't about battling, unlike with Korrina's return.

Surprised there was no flashback at all when even Chuck got one. The writers really don't care about AG at all do they? lol
Why remind Ash of his loss when Drake wasn't brought back for a battle? Common sense.

I actually appreciated Ash and Drake not remembering each other's names. Let's stop the pretense that every battle Ash has had is worth remembering. Drake was no Prima (although it wouldn't hurt to correct her English name).

Last edited:
The first half had very bad pacing. It was nice to see Drake again and to know new things about him, but there was just too much exposition and unnecessary diving jokes that really made the episode boring. And that Sharpedo capture was hilariously bad, is this how you want to treat a very dangerous Pokemon, writers?

The second half flowed much better, like other Project Mew episodes it's savaged by small ingenuity moments like Goh using Dragonite recordings or connecting the dots between Kingdra and the whirlpool. The battle was decent but a bit too short, If they hadn't introduced all that lore about the submarine I'm sure it would have lasted more. I guess the Seadra plot was a nice twist, but the way they ended it was kinda weird.

A really overstuffed episode, but with some great moments here and there. 6/10

Going to give the episode a watch through, have some time and been curious as I remember the Drake episode fondly enough.

• I won't lie, the whole 'most people just trade evo' for Kingdra is a weird bit of world stuff. Like trade evolutions have always been a thing, but I find mentioning it out loud to be....IDK this is a personal gripe more than anything.
  • These trial missions also make me wonder if Goh could have gotten then earlier, like we say Ash should have done WCS earlier. Wonder how'd that have gone?
  • X used Surf! X used Dive! Those guys have good lungs.
  • Hello Cloyster you weren't in the Hoenn Pokedex. And here I thought they were trying to be more accurate to game rosters. I don't honestly mind but it isn't like Hoenn lacks water types to choose from
  • I actually like the touch that A: Drake was stumbled on and not immediately and directly involved, and B: that he does remember Ash but not fully. I like Ash the center of the story, but some of that is a nice touch.
  • Goh seems to have tailored his team for water, which makes sense.
  • Hoenn seems to just have a lot of ancient civilization in it. Even in game canon, as the anime adds at least 4 to each region.
  • The boat note: given he's taken to treasure hunting as a hobby it makes sense to shift the boat type up. Also given how much underwater shards you can find in the hoenn underwater routes, I believe, not the oddest connection make. Now if it was Glacia doing it that would be odd.
  • Ash, being surprised that someone would go to the next adventure isn't that odd to you...
  • Funny accidental catch Goh. 8 out of 10
  • Someone can probably get a Death Fic idea out of this episode, won't lie...
  • Kind of wonder if bringing Dragonite would have been a good idea: it would draw out Kingdra but it would also possibly be very unsafe to be around when you do it.
  • Poor Seadra. Welcome to the list of mons that everyone's going to wish were done with something....would it be Goh's first?
  • I like the ending lines with Drake: Drake did some whole 'I was like you at your age' with Ash back in Hoenn and it is a bit of a nice feeling for this series in particular. No matter the change to the verse, stay to eternal adventures Ash. Same to you Goh.

I loved how Ash and Drake couldn't actually remember each other's names lol
For all intents and purposes, Drake was a one-off character in AG, we shouldn't expect Ash to fully rembember the +800 people he's met by now.

Edit: I think Drake's Japanese VA sounds pretty unique, I'm glad they bought him back even for such a small-scale return.
A big flaw in the episode is that Drake mentions the extra oxygen lasts for 10 minutes, but this is never brought up when they actually use it later.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom