• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN089: Dialga & Palkia! The Space-Time Cataclysm!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand.

I should be excited for this.

It's a 2-Parter and it has Dawn and Cynthia in large roles

I should be feeling hyped.

But.... I can't. I just can't feel hyped for this

And the worst part is that I can't even understand why?

thumb_tired-stu-rugrats-know-your-meme-53150099.png

I don't understand.

It's a 2-Parter and it has Dawn and Cynthia in large roles

I should be feeling hyped.

But.... I can't. I just can't feel hyped for this

And the worst part is that I can't even understand why?

thumb_tired-stu-rugrats-know-your-meme-53150099.png
Probably because a lot of Journeys can be summed up with the following:

It's probably because it's another self contained arc to advertise DP. I also notice all of Dawn's cameos are never really about herself but being included in arcs for legendaries or other characters even back in BW. I think if the AU counterparts prove interesting it could be fun enough to see the differences.

Whilst it can be cool to view the possibilities, mirror-dimensions, when it comes to storytelling, is pretty redundant to me. It may be due to the fact that the episodes are visualising something the characters aren’t, and not necessarily what they are.
Like, if that Dawn is truly a championship-winning battler, okay? What does that tell me about our Dawn? We know she’s already a good coordinator, and that must take a lot of skill to pull off, especially when you have people like Nando competing in the Leagues, and the Grand Festivals.
What does TR being competent symbolise in the TR we follow? Was there something that set them apart - a situation anomaly that makes them more driven? If the episode gives time towards that, then excellent! They can establish a polarising part of what makes them, and what defines our TR. However, I’ll doubt that’ll happen, cause this two-parter seems filled with stuff already.
Clemont from XY’s mirror-world, as well as Bonnie (despite being background characters there), what did I gain from that about ours?

The only thing that I can detract is that a mirror Ash that’s cowardly and downbeat, is reflective of our Ash being always optimistic and assured of himself.

It just leaves questions of their character traits, and overall the viewing is just left to be desired, so I can’t really say I’m too excited to see this. It’s not like this is world-class story-building, but, hey, I’ve been wrong a lot of times prior.

The concept of a parallel world story would be really cool had this not been the third series in a row to do it.
Honestly, the series that handled it the best was Sun and Moon. It handled the "parallel world" trope better than XY had in that it actually presented a parallel WORLD, not just a parallel world in that "its the same world but the characters are different". That's honestly rare to see in media because every parallel world concept I've seen mainly focuses on the parallels of characters, and unless its done for a reason(e.g a character confronting his past when he sees the road he could have gone down in his parallel self), it doesn't really serve a real purpose in the narrative. In Sun and Moon, the entire two-parter where Ash went to that parallel world actually felt relevant to its narrative because not only did it help the world-building of Alola, but it also looked into Ash's character. Simple question: when have we seen Ash act homesick before? It's pretty telling that the answer is from that two-parter and it really deserves more love than it gets. (I swear, I could write an essay on those two episodes alone...)

I can't really see what purpose the mirror world counterparts will serve here other than to maybe establish the chaos that is happening in regards to Dialga and Palkia...? I don't know, it's really hard to come up with something that'll actually impact any of the characters when according to the previews, so much is already happening.

The writers seem against showing Ash and Dawn together in any of these cameos. Looking at both previews Ash is paired with Koharu and Go with Dawn, and then later on when they're in the Dialga/Palkia dimension Dawn/Koharu are riding together. I wonder why they're purposely avoiding having Ash and Dawn have any meaningful interaction

Because Ash and Dawn already had 180 eps of DP, however many eps of BW, 4 movies, and several manga worth of screentime together.
Would still be nice since these cameos are also aimed at people who grew up with DP and are used to Ash and Dawn interacting. Not to mention in-universe it's been a long time since Dawn and Ash saw each other too since Unova prior to these cameos. I don't remember the writers going out of their way not to have Ash interact with a main girl in any past cameo arc

I agree that Satoshi and Hikari had a huge amount of past focus.
But a little call-back to it, or having their combi back once more, wouldn't hurt.

However, I won't press the issue since I am very interested on seeing more of Satoshi and Koharu.

There's something that I have to totally disagree......
I prefer the Parallel Universes with counterparts and seeing the main character trying to adapt to the alternate companions.
A sudden change of dynamics is a refreshing move.

Last edited:
Really hoping that with Piplup kidnapped, we'll see more of Dawn's team this episode
Yea, it would honestly be sad if, with her partner out of the picture, the writers still pretend that he’s her only Pokémon.
Because Ash and Dawn already had 180 eps of DP, however many eps of BW, 4 movies, and several manga worth of screentime together. Sure, it'd be NICE to have them together again, but they already had plenty and Ash isn't the only important character here.
So what if they had that much together, it’s a reunion of old friends. One thing that’s generally looked forward to when it comes to a reunion is the characters that are reuniting interacting and showing how they’ve grown since being apart. Sure they can have Dawn interact with Go and Koharu, but they shouldn’t just cut any dynamic between her and Ash. You wouldn’t go to a reunion of some old friends and never interact in any meaningful way while most of the interaction is with the friend you brought. Like look at Sun and Moon’s reunion with Misty and Brock; they got interaction with the classmates, but it didn’t come at the expense of their interaction with Ash. The same should be the case here.

Last edited:
Because Ash and Dawn already had 180 eps of DP, however many eps of BW, 4 movies, and several manga worth of screentime together. Sure, it'd be NICE to have them together again, but they already had plenty and Ash isn't the only important character here.
I mean, that never stopped the other returning characters from having screen time with Ash? A major part of a returning character, returning is the reunion aspect.

Anyone notice Brock hasn't been brought back for any of the DP arcs but he was in the Kanto SM arcs? Even though Brock was a main character in DP it seems the writers don't associate him with Dawn at all as if he's been relegated to Kanto status only. The DP trio hasn't ever been reunited as a trio since DP ended, which shows how little the writers think of Brock in DP.

Anyone notice Brock hasn't been brought back for any of the DP arcs but he was in the Kanto SM arcs? Even though Brock was a main character in DP it seems the writers don't associate him with Dawn at all as if he's been relegated to Kanto status only. The DP trio hasn't ever been reunited as a trio since DP ended, which shows how little the writers think of Brock in DP.
Brock was important during DP. He just is more associated with the Kanto era, since that's where he debuted.

Brock was mentioned a couple of times during the Dakrai/Cresselia arc, with Dawn crediting him for her knowledge of using herbal medicine. The writers definitely didn't forget his role as a travelling companion in DP. He simply hasn't appeared in the Sinnoh mini-arcs yet because there's no real reason for him to do so. As Finnish mentioned, Brock's mainly associated with Kanto, so having him randomly appear in mini-arcs that are clearly meant to be Gen 4 advertisements would feel kinda weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom