• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN089: Dialga & Palkia! The Space-Time Cataclysm!!

By the way, what is the English equivalent of "Reversed Scale", the moves Garchomp and Kommo-o were using? Reversal? I'm not sure if it was translated correctly in the subs because I couldn't find it on the internet.
It's Outrage.
Screenshot_20211204-151655.png

Time to take a watch

• First guess is that either Dialga or Palkia are from the Alt World and the other is from the main world. Hence why their classes create this specific effect.
  • Hey nice, Aura Sphere from Palkia and Hyper Beam from Dialga. Movie reference in moveset
  • So Dawn...you could just not use Piplup if he's being lazy. Contests are two mon games, so just use the ones who are active. I mean I get that Piplup shouldn't be lazy, just obvious solution.
  • I appreciate how Ash is the person Dawn calls. It's like 'okay things are completely bonkers, hey Ash!'
  • Oh Chloe...I have no idea if Chloe x Regina became a thing but if you aren't careful Chloe x Dawn will happen, and then you will possibly be in the shipping wars. You ceded your archetype's role to the slash fans, don't get dragged in especially when you could interfere with Ash x Dawn. I believe they bite.
  • Ash flew over to Sinnoh. That's.....why 'sorry for the wait' dialogue. That's just.....did they teleport to Sinnoh? Did they think that would happen? The globe trotting is warping space for Palkia guys! Time too.
  • Oh hey, Pearlship stuff.
  • I wonder if the hat and clothes was meant to be a subtle 'yeah not like the Princess who looked like me' comment?
  • So Dawn knows about Ultra Wormholes? Also all the jennies changed outfits it seems.
  • Oh come on Team Rocket, you could have waited....I mean it was a smart time to grab Pikachu but it is kind of mean of them.
  • I miss a good clean Rocket blastoff.
  • You know how people say XY Ash is always serious to complain in a mass exaggeration? Are these Alt Rockets exaggerations of how BW Rocket Trio were less comedic and more competent?
  • Sinnoh is to the north, but as this place looks more Twinleaf and less Snowpoint, yeah I'd say that aurora is not usual.
  • The short Twinleaf rush could also cover the missing mon bit.
  • Okay guys, in at least one universe you get silver trophies for league placements. Where's Ash's silver Kalos trophy? This must be rectified!
  • So so far we have Mirror Ash, Dia's world, and Alternate World. This is definateley not Mirror World, so I wonder if this is also Dia's world, or would Dia's world have Shiny Dialga and Palkia?
  • So the slippers they are wearing are Johanna's typical shoewear. So as there are three sets...I'm guessing Johanna's out doing something, so did Goh use the mythical 'slippers of the father', or did Johanna often have spare slippers for guests. Anyone got images of Ash and Brock's feet from DP?
  • Did they start in Sandgem town or did they go there after the fact?
  • Think Alternate Dawn's had her own interactions with crazy stuff to not scream at seeing her duplicate in her room, or is she just less prone to that than regular Dawn?
  • Pre SM, this sort of mass loss of Pokemon would feel a lot worse than just a funk...
  • Not bad touch for Rowan, given his study is on Evolution
  • Fortunately Grookey will not be effected by forgetting things as I don't think it has ever shown a move. That thing makes Togepi look productive. Piplup....well ouch.
  • Oh bah, I'm too associated with Blossoming Trail to not think of that when Chloe talks about doors to other worlds. Insert Parker rant here.
  • On talk of the lack of mention of Nebby...well I won't lie I think more people would know what Palkia is compared to Ultra Beasts and related mons.
  • SPACE IS WARPED AND TIME IS BENDABLE!? I choose to believe this Dialga and Palkia time space madness is the cause of Journey's space crunch.
  • Oh hey, the balloon blew all the way to Canalave. In the old series I could buy that.
  • I like the line of Arceus being considered 'A God'. Not 'GOD', but just one of many.
  • Interesting, the Alt Rockets seem to be using the move distortion effects to their advantage. I wonder if the tech Meowth and Wobb are wearing keeps it from happening and lets them still use moves. Kind of like that thing from Boruto...
  • Team Rocket lurking in the tree.
  • No one notices people jumping through the holes? Not even a good old fashioned angry mob blaming them for it?
  • So Pokemon and Flowers are affected....and given the preview it will eventually start affecting humans. That....is actually a kind of creepy looming apocalypse. Won't lie.
  • Given that Ash has been in at least two true alternate worlds before this one...well yeah, he's probably fine. I mean worst to worst he can go to Alola and hope Taku Koko can do that electricity synch thing again.
Well I'm off to trope the apocalypse.

• First guess is that either Dialga or Palkia are from the Alt World and the other is from the main world. Hence why their classes create this specific effect.
But it was said in the episode that Palkia is from BEYOND space and time, so it's fair to assume Dialga is too, and if so, then wouldn't it imply all realities share the same Dialga and Palkia?

I finally had the time to sit down and watch this episode, and I really enjoyed it. Most of it was just setting up for the next one, but all of it was interesting and entertaining: I like that Ash got paired with Chloe, as the two don't really get to interact all that much, and seeing both Goh and Chloe react to their respective partners was quite cute. Goh especially what with him noting how similar Ash and Dawn are personality-wise, as it neatly recalls how close they were during the DPP saga and how much they influenced each other. It's also really cool how both Dialga's and Palkia's powers are being involved, as not only are there portals to parallel dimensions, but Pokemon in the alternate world are being eventually rewound all the way back into eggs. It's all really awesome. I also liked seeing Dawn's team, though I am a bit sad that it's still identical to the last time we saw it. Hopefully they get a bigger role next episode, but I'm not holding my breath on that. AND there's alternate Team Rocket, which I see people comparing to BW Team Rocket, but imo they're honestly more competent than even them, as even in BW Meowth didn't really feel that much stronger than past incarnations (Meowth has been known to get random bursts in power at odd times: remember Fury Swipes of Love?) while this one seems to have a strong moveset and was even able to trade blows with Cynthia's Garchomp of all Pokemon. Sad that even alernate Team Rocket doesn't use any other Pokemon though: how cool would it be to see butt monkeys like Seviper and Carnivine fighting competently? Heck, how cool would it be to see alternate Mime Jr. as an evolved Pokemon to further highlight just how much more threatening alternate Team Rocket is? Ah, well...

Cool to see Cynthia with a Kommo-o, which I admit I wasn't expecting because I don't play Masters Ex so I had no idea she used one there. The theorist in me also believes that Kommo-o might possibly be Cynthia's go-to Z-Move user in PWC matches, with Garchomp obviously being the Mega (possibly Lucario too, but since Lucario is already one of Ash's main Pokemon this series I highly doubt we'll see Cynthia use one). Wonder what her Gigantamaxer could be...

Cool to see Cynthia with a Kommo-o, which I admit I wasn't expecting because I don't play Masters Ex so I had no idea she used one there. The theorist in me also believes that Kommo-o might possibly be Cynthia's go-to Z-Move user in PWC matches, with Garchomp obviously being the Mega (possibly Lucario too, but since Lucario is already one of Ash's main Pokemon this series I highly doubt we'll see Cynthia use one). Wonder what her Gigantamaxer could be...
I would say Grimmsnarl since it's the only G-Max Pokemon that I can see Cynthia using and I've given up hope for Marnie appearing in this show so Grimmsnarl would have to be shown off in some other way

I would say Grimmsnarl since it's the only G-Max Pokemon that I can see Cynthia using and I've given up hope for Marnie appearing in this show so Grimmsnarl would have to be shown off in some other way
Well, I do admit I'd much prefer for Grimmsnarl to debut under Cynthia's ownership than Paul's, so... XD

I like Jessie comment about the other Team Rocket being creepy. I hope this sets up our Team Rocket taking out AU Team Rocket, while Ash and the others will take time for Palkia and Dialga.
It’s kinda funny that Jessie finds the AU TRio creepy for being competent at their job all while they too work for a criminal organization with goals if world domination. Of course, with the boss fantasies the TRio used to have, it wouldn’t surprise me if they somehow have no clue about their own organization’s goals.

That does not sound like a dragon move...
Imperial Rage is a possible translation for the Japanese term "gekirin" that the move was named after:
  • The Japanese name げきりん (逆鱗) gekirin ("wrath of one's superior", literally "reversed scale") may refer to the idiom 逆鱗に触れる gekirin ni fureru ("to infuriate one's superior", literally "to touch the reversed scale"). In East Asian mythology, dragons are benevolent and tamable creatures, but possess a scale growing in reverse (some sources say, on their chins) which, if touched, will incite the dragon's fury.

Some Japanese Pokémon move names are based off Asian idioms or sayings. For instance Night Slash is "Crossroad killing":

• The Japanese name 「つじぎり」 Tsujigiri (lit. "Crossroad Killing") refers to a way in which some samurai would test new swords in feudal Japan. This was by hiding in wait by a road (typically a crossroads, thus its literal translation) and waiting for an unsuspecting commoner (i.e. lower class, and so with far fewer rights than the samurai class) to pass by. He would then strike to kill, and in this way learn how well his new sword could cut.

Love dialga and palkia. This is also the first time Arceus is mentioned in the anime. They said that he is "A God" in the english subtitles? In the Brazilian subtitles, they say " Arceus, a quem chamam de Deus", which is better translated to english as "Arceus is called God". These two translatios have two slightly different meanings. The english ones could mean that Arceus is one of the gods , while the brazillian one means that people call Arceus God, but maybe he isnt really god. I wonder which one is right.

I really think that Cynthia might defeat Leon before Ash battles him in the championship. I dont want to see Cynthia lose. Ash might win against Leon and lose to Cynthia. They made Leon the best in the world to promote sw/sh , but now bdsp are the most recent games .

I can actually see him, and wish that it will be, losing to both.

It will feel totally undeserved seeing him beating Champions.

I remember the Gekirin thing from another anime, but the character turned into a Dragon when a certain part was touched.

What can I say about Dialga and Palkia, the whole thing is very weird.

Imperial Rage is a possible translation for the Japanese term "gekirin" that the move was named after:

Some Japanese Pokémon move names are based off Asian idioms or sayings. For instance Night Slash is "Crossroad killing":
I'm confused now. Is "Imperial Rage" the right translation or is it "Reversed Scale"? And is it the move that is know in the West as "Outrage" after all?

Finally, after much procrastination, I decided to watch the episodes 89-90 of Journeys. And honestly, I really liked what I saw. These episodes feel more like a special, as they have a very different tone and plot from the rest of the series.

As for episode 89, I loved seeing Dawn and her team again, as well as her love-stubborn relationship with Piplup (Sounds like me and my cats Lol). Personally, I thought Dawn was represented much better in this episode than she was in her first Journey appearance. And even though Goh said that Dawn looks a lot like Ash, I believe she was entirely herself in this episode.

The fear and apprehension of the protagonists, especially Dawn's one, with the kidnapping and involution of their Pokémon, seemed legitimate to me and added a lot to my perception of the episode.

The powerful, merciless and tech Team Rocket was invigorating, as their deeds and plans, for the first time, appeared threatening.

As others have said, the splitting of the group into two was excellent as it gave us the opportunity to see more of the relationship and interaction between Dawn/Goh and Ash/Koharu.

----------------------------------------

PS: Finally, I wanted to say, how easy is it to travel in this world, huh? A friend calls you from the other side of the world with a problem and Ash, Goh and Koharu say: Hold on, I'm on my way to meet you. Does Koharu's father realize that something very strange is happening in the region? Even so, does he let the inexperienced girl participate in the endeavor? Whatever, huh?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom