• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN091: The Ghost Train Departs...

OK, feeling a bit confused here as to where the Shedinja came from as Goh never had a Nincada
It's a reference to how Shedinja is obtained in the games: when a Nincada evolves, its shed shell enters a spare Poké Ball and becomes a Shedinja, if the Trainer has room in their party.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Absol
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Gangar
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Chiyuki Miura: Masked Boy
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

In SwSh, it is possible to catch a Shedinja without evolving a Nincada first, albeit through Max Raids. Also, it's very nice to see that Goh has decided to take Absol with him to Galar. Wonder if they'll become one of his recurring like Greedent and Flygon?

I would never think the writers would add in a second Spiritomb into the anime, given the DP episode that portrays Spiritomb as one-of-a-kind and an expy of Genie Jafar (albeit, as one of the worst Pikachu shillings imaginable).

Was a bit disappointed after seeing Faba have his Alakazam use Miracle Eye on Umbreon in Sun and Moon to use a Psychic attack to see Gengar's Psychic used to lift Absol
The anime almost always ignores the rules of the games. M13 had the same thing, with a Bronzor using Psychic to lift a Zorua. Neither Bronzor nor Gengar can learn Miracle Eye in the games before the move was removed in SwSh and BDSP.

I don’t know if this is the same in other countries, but in the UK we really do have random platforms that are standalone and secluded away from the rest of the station, a bit like that.

Kinda disappointed Goh didn’t catch the Spiritomb given it would have meant the Pokémon could get some more appearances - kinda wish he caught other Pokémon too. I also wanted to see Nincarda physically become two Pokémon- but I suppose this makes fine sense, Ash must not carry empty Poke Balls.

Glad we’re getting more of Allister because this wasn’t a lot…

There’s not really much to say about this episode, aside from the music being nice? It’s one of the props I’ll give to Journeys. It felt a bit more engaging with the climax score.

Allister was quiet, but what’s new there. If they wanted to play up his mysterious and reserved nature, it probably would have been best if they introduced him around twenty episodes ago, not showing him disappearing, jut to reappear in the next episode. Kind of loses the infatuation part, having no real mystery to who he truly is. Maybe have fun with it and show him randomly popping up in corners of some episodes before we even meet him?

Otherwise, the only part I found a bit weird was Goh obtaining Shedinja. That’s not exactly how it works - you have to evolve a Nincada of your own, not a wild one, into a Ninjask, then the shaded skin leftover will pass onto the unoccupied Pokeball within the party, forming Shedinja. Goh didn’t even throw a Pokeball, let alone have a Nincada. Oh, what the hell, it’s the anime. It’ll get the complications of evolving Sycther right, but not this. I assume Goh had one Pokeball free in his party, allowing one Shedinja, whilst Ash had all six of his occupied? If that’s the case, how did they get that right, and not the fact you have to own a Nincada?

There’s not really much to say about this episode, aside from the music being nice? It’s one of the props I’ll give to Journeys. It felt a bit more engaging with the climax score.

Allister was quiet, but what’s new there. If they wanted to play up his mysterious and reserved nature, it probably would have been best if they introduced him around twenty episodes ago, not showing him disappearing, jut to reappear in the next episode. Kind of loses the infatuation part, having no real mystery to who he truly is. Maybe have fun with it and show him randomly popping up in corners of some episodes before we even meet him?

Otherwise, the only part I found a bit weird was Goh obtaining Shedinja. That’s not exactly how it works - you have to evolve a Nincada of your own, not a wild one, into a Ninjask, then the shaded skin leftover will pass onto the unoccupied Pokeball within the party, forming Shedinja. Goh didn’t even throw a Pokeball, let alone have a Nincada. Oh, what the hell, it’s the anime. It’ll get the complications of evolving Sycther right, but not this. I assume Goh had one Pokeball free in his party, allowing one Shedinja, whilst Ash had all six of his occupied? If that’s the case, how did they get that right, and not the fact you have to own a Nincada?

Wait....it feels odd that Goh would have the free mon slot and Ash doesn't. Like Ash has been ballless at times, I believe the XY Dunsparce for example

0b5.gif

Still feels kind of....weird. I won't lie, I may have to add this to a list of oddities with Journeys. Maybe subs will confirm the above or something.

What was the green light that Gengar was holding BTW?

So it’s now gotten to the point where Go gets a free capture just for existing in the same space as a Pokémon without even needing to own said Pokémon to trigger its evolution mechanic. I swear, anything to give this kid a new dex entry.

It's just....why not have him just catch a Nincada, have it evolve....bam. Like you'd get three new entries in one and it cannot have been that hard to do. IDK that is just....bizarre.

...Well off to trope.

So it’s now gotten to the point where Go gets a free capture just for existing in the same space as a Pokémon without even needing to own said Pokémon to trigger its evolution mechanic. I swear, anything to give this kid a new dex entry.
Remember this is Goh we're talking about. The same kid who caught a sobble by just randomly throwing a pokeball at nothing. Of course there would of been a day were he caught a Pokemon by doing jack crap. Arceus.... Hopefully when he finally spits from Ash, we can stop seeing these crappy captures.

Remember this is Goh we're talking about. The same kid who caught a sobble by just randomly throwing a pokeball at nothing. Of course there would of been a day were he caught a Pokemon by doing jack crap. Arceus.... Hopefully when he finally spits from Ash, we can stop seeing these crappy captures.

Yet at the same time I also feel like he got cheated out of catches.

....Weird ain't it?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom