• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN091: The Ghost Train Departs...

Wonder if that thing is at Scrappy levels yet.
I thought Grookey's mischief was entertaining the first few episodes but that little sh*t is really testing my patience now. Even Piplup had more manners.

Edit: This was originally its own post but I thought better to tack it onto this post here.

I tried to read the manga, I think it was at mangarockteam or something and for whatever reason I got a popup saying my IP address has been banned.

Last edited:
Opinion:

Quite honestly, this is one of the episodes I don't actually have much to say about. Allister was fine, and the ghost conflict was ok.
The only issues in my opinion are:
1: Type effectiveness being completely ignored with the Absol lifting up psychic (although the anime never seems to remember that type interaction even exists)
2: The fact that aside from obligatory Gengar and Allister stuff this episode is rather confusing as to whether or not it ties into next week's episode
3: The little shit causing trouble that sets up the whole conflict to begin with
4: The weird way in which Goh caught Shedinja. Like dude, you're supposed to CATCH the Nicada and then it should evolve. Isn't that what you want to do?
Overall, it's ok, not much to say.
6/10

I thought Grookey's mischief was entertaining the first few episodes but that little sh*t is really testing my patience now. Even Piplup had more manners.
Honestly, though. And I thought Piplup was annoying. Not to mention Oshawott and its long lost twin brother Chespin. My main problem with Grookey, though, is that it just does nothing. It literally only exists as a shouldermon and as a gag, and not even a funny gag. An irritating and annoying gag that's gotten very old by this point. Hell, the damn little sh*#@t still has yet to use a move! How the hell do you go 30+ episodes and not use a single attack?!

Honestly, though. And I thought Piplup was annoying. Not to mention Oshawott and its long lost twin brother Chespin. My main problem with Grookey, though, is that it just does nothing. It literally only exists as a shouldermon and as a gag, and not even a funny gag. An irritating and annoying gag that's gotten very old by this point. Hell, the damn little sh*#@t still has yet to use a move! How the hell do you go 30+ episodes and not use a single attack?!

Maybe the writers were like, oh s**t, we forgot to put in a rude annoying gag Pokemon in SM, we better double down in JN to make up for lost time!

And thus, the little green gremlin known as Grookey was born.

Maybe the writers were like, oh s**t, we forgot to put in a rude annoying gag Pokemon in SM, we better double down in JN to make up for lost time!

I think that's because SM was heavy on the gags as a whole, but it did have Rowlet with that stupid sleeping schtick.

SM had Sandy in it

And yet......
Rowlet did more things than Grookey.
Even Sandy did more than Grookey

Rowlet did more things than Grookey.
Yes it did, and I really can't say that much bad about Rowlet, seeing as how I love the species and I'm a bird fanatic and owls are my favorite birds of all. Still, the sleeping was stupid, and don't get me started with that Everstone/Seed Bomb crap.

I feel as though the cute mons are less hated, at least here, when they are with Ash. Presumably as they generally get to do more than be cute.

They are never team favorites but....I don't get the idea they are hated

A decent episode that had some final destination vibe with Ash being possessed by the ghost making the segment more creepy and sinister. Also, love to see Gengar in action by using ghost against ghost. Looking forward to see the fat ghost boi in training torture.

Overall rating: B+

I feel as though the cute mons are less hated, at least here, when they are with Ash. Presumably as they generally get to do more than be cute.

Because Ash trains them more than the others usually and they aren't just glorified plushies when they're with him. And while I wouldn't say they're hated, they can get annoying sometimes, especially since the cute ones also tend to be gagmons (Oshawott, Rowlet.)

That's because some of the "cute" mons with Ash(and by extension other characters) had gags that were more tolerant at worst(Oshawott), and also receive a lot of training and focus (Piplup).
Grookey does neither of those, with it's gag without a doubt being the absolute worst of all the "cute" Pokemon.

Unless you're talking about the Japan Fandom.

The small, cute base form starter is almost always a Fan Favorite over there lmao

Gen 8 might be one of the few exceptions

The only others I can think of are Gen 6, and maybe Gen 2

Gen 1 had Bulbasaur and Squirtle

Gen 3 had Mudkipz

Gen 4 had Piplup

Gen 5 and Snivy and Oshawott

Gen 7 had Rowlet

Gen 6, and Gen 8 are the only Generations where none of the 1st Stage Forms of the Starters feel exceedingly popular
(Froakie, Fenniken, Chespin, Scorbunny, Sobble, and Grookey)

Idk what the overall verdict on Gen 2 is in Japan

Last edited:
Schilly and Manabu are way more interesting
Schilly is less flat than Sodo, for sure. But her way of always shouting everything she says and no one almost ever telling her to quiet down annoys me so much. Reminds me of a person I used to (somewhat) know, who literally always talked really loud.

Annoying and doesn't get called out on their flaws... Kinda reminds me of Grookey, actually.

I think that's because SM was heavy on the gags as a whole, but it did have Rowlet with that stupid sleeping schtick.

SM had Sandy in it

And yet......

Even Sandy did more than Grookey

I did think about Rowlet and Sandy while making my post, but I ultimately think that, while they can be annoying at times, they haven't actually exhibited overtly rude behavior.

On the other hand, I do feel that Oshawott and Chespin have been portrayed to be rude at times, but they are nothing compared to Grookey.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom