• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN091: The Ghost Train Departs...

This seems like a super disengenuous explanation of what ACTUALLY happened between him and Grookey. The dream was just a silly comedic opener for when he wakes up and meets the real deal. And watching the episode they pretty clearly explain where it came from and how he got there, there was conflict, and a actual effort had to be made to actually obtain said Pokémon, it wasn't just a flick of the rist and bam Grookey was his

Like part of what makes these criticisms of Goh hard to sympathize with at times is when people take these innocuous moments and deliberately interpret them in the worst possible ways imaginable when it's really not that deep.
Well, it’s just one in an example of many. The rest of my post highlights the nuance well. You just took the Grookey point out of context and painted my post as something it isn’t. I wrote a paragraph of constructive Go criticism and you focus on the one exaggerated point.

Last edited:
I just watched it now and y'all... I just. I just refuse to believe Goh caught a Pokémon without doing anything. He literally just stood there and that Shedinja entered his Pokéball. ...HOW? How does that even work???? You telling me this guy is such a god he gets Pokémon without even trying to??

Does anyone remembers when we used to joke about it getting to the point of Pokémon literally throwing themselves onto Goh, begging to be captured? Yeah... I guess Goh is so sexy, handsome and competent that one Shedinja just couldn't understand any future where it wasn't with him, so it decided to take matters into it's own hands (paws?) and enter the ball without Goh even asking it to, huh?

Also... Grookey. Yet again causing trouble for other people and not getting any consequences for it. I'm so sick of this monkey that I won't even say anything else for the sake of my blood pressure istg.

Anyways... Allister was nice and Gengar got some time to shine, which is also very nice. Overall mid experience 5/10.

I also enjoyed some of the smaller parts too, like how Goh actually scolded Grookey for once
If you ask me, that wasn't nearly enough of a scolding. Remember how Oshawott got scolded in BW for stealing the food of the Trubbish and the Garbodor? Yeah we need something like that for Grookey at this point.

I just watched it now and y'all... I just. I just refuse to believe Goh caught a Pokémon without doing anything. He literally just stood there and that Shedinja entered his Pokéball. ...HOW? How does that even work???? You telling me this guy is such a god he gets Pokémon without even trying to??

Does anyone remembers when we used to joke about it getting to the point of Pokémon literally throwing themselves onto Goh, begging to be captured? Yeah... I guess Goh is so sexy, handsome and competent that one Shedinja just couldn't understand any future where it wasn't with him, so it decided to take matters into it's own hands (paws?) and enter the ball without Goh even asking it to, huh?
That's how Shedinja are obtained in the games too: they appear in a Poké Ball when a Nincada evolves.

Yeah. You get Shedninja when the Nincada you own evolves while you have both an open space in your party and a spare pokeball. You don't just get one randomly while you travel because a nearby wild nincada evolves.

That's how Shedinja are obtained in the games too: they appear in a Poké Ball when a Nincada evolves.
Then, under that logic....
Why didn't Gou get four Nukenin?
He did have at least that amount of empty spaces, and always carries many Monster Balls.

Or in the anime......
Each time a person runs into a Tsuchinin evolving while having a Monster Ball and free slots, they get a free Nukenin.

I know others have said this, and I might just be repetitive:

The problem wasn't necessarily in Shedinja appearing in Goh's Pokéball after Nincada evolved. The problem is because Goh hadn't captured the Nincada in the first place. Shedinja shows up in one of your empty Pokéballs when the Nincada you already own evolves into Ninjask.

So, it makes no sense for that Shedinja to have appeared considering he didn't got none of the Nincadas. It's absolutely ridiculous because he won a whole new dex entry, got a new mon and progressed on his goal without doing anything to earn none of it. The Pokémon literally threw itself at him.

What makes it even stranger is that Goh, if they still show him catching every Pokemon on-screen, will then have to shove in a segment of him he catching a Nincada, and then a Ninjask. Letting him gain Shedinja has actually wasted time, in the aspect they could have just done all three in one swoop. This easily could have been avoided. If this is adjusted off-screen (saying he did catch one the Nincada), it would just suggest another two Pokemon were just handed to him.

You don’t get a Shedinja in the games without catching a Nincada. The way it happened in the episode "isn’t how it works in the game".
Goh caught a Pokémon without doing anything. He literally just stood there and that Shedinja entered his Pokéball
There were days when this used to be called "pointless exaggeration" and was a hyperbole, but now it actually happened in the show lol. It’s ridiculous.

You don’t get a Shedinja in the games without catching a Nincada. The way it happened in the episode "isn’t how it works in the game".
The anime isn't a 1:1 adaptation of the games. They just took that element from the games and twisted it around a little. Not the worst alteration of game logic the show has done by a long shot.

The anime isn't a 1:1 adaptation of the games. They just took that element from the games and twisted it around a little. Not the worst alteration of game logic the show has done by a long shot.
Well, I was just pointing out that saying "that's way Shedinja is caught in the games" like you did I’m the post I quoted (paraphrased, of course) is factually wrong.

It’s not the worst alteration, but when done to a character that can literally no fail while pursuing his goal, his flaws help him instead of deterring him and he can literally throw a Pokeball at nothing and own a Pokémon, it just adds to a string. You realise people view these as a string of events and not an isolated incident right?

Well, I was just pointing out that saying "that's way Shedinja is caught in the games" like you did I’m the post I quoted (paraphrased, of course) is factually wrong.

It’s not the worst alteration, but when done to a character that can literally no fail while pursuing his goal, his flaws help him instead of deterring him and he can literally throw a Pokeball at nothing and own a Pokémon, it just adds to a string. You realise people view these as a string of events and not an isolated incident right?
What’s even worse is, it’s honestly incredibly forced. While I’m sure that the writers thought they were being clever there, it comes across as that they’re basically one-upping themselves in the sheer ridiculousness of Go’s captures especially as of late. There’s willing suspicion of disbelief in fiction and, in a series that has had an establishment of over 20 years prior to his appearance, he stretches that to its limits.

I think someone else already said that, but I didn't really liked the pacing of this ep that much. Like,,, there was a surprinsing amount of moments where basically nothing happened in-between the moments where something did happened, so the ep felt longer than it should've been.

It almost feels like they tried to slow down on the narrative pacing of this ep, but there wasn't necessarily a lot of stuff to do to fill those gaps with, so it just felt like the ep was dragging itself along. Dk, kinda weird imo.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom