• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN093: Your Name is Françoise

So no one watched this live huh…
I did for the first time in like 6 months or more, but I was only half paying attention. It was another episode based in Vermillion City about a Kanto Pokemon that has had multiple other episodes in the past, so it didn't have much to offer to retain my interest. The Kirby boss part was kind of cool I guess, but they really haven't done enough with Renji prior to this to make me interested in him. At least they gave Kikuna a few scenes and the eating contest episodes before to drop hints of her personality leading up to her episode with Koharu, but Renji might as well have been a character of the day despite being a recurring cast member. The aerial shots of Vemilion City were kind of cool and it was nice to see Goh's Flygon doing something. It's not that it was a particularly bad episode or anything, but it followed the standard 'help the COTD' plot with Pokemon and locations we've seen plenty of times before. It might be better with subtitles for Renji's backstory segments, but I can't see myself seeking this out again until it ends up on TV or my DVD shelf. Or unless Renji does something interesting in the future and I decide to come back and check out his backstory, but I don't imagine that's very likely with how this series likes to handle things.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Aceburn
Yuichi Nakamura: Professor Sakuragi
Yuji Ueda: Francoise
Kenta Miyake: Kairyu
Risa Shimizu: Flygon
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Seiro Ogino: Proprietor
Sayaka Senbongi: Kikuna
Noriaki Kanze: Renji
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Wasn't that keen on the episode, felt so boring with the only good thing being the backstory for Magnemite and some character from Ren

Goh didn't catch a Magnemite, Francois didn't evolve into Magneton

I'm curious, does anyone know if this was said to be Magnet Pull?
Magnemite Magnet Pull.png

This was kinda heartwarming,seeing how Francois came to be attracted to Ren, I guess.
However, in the end, ignoring the above factor, the episode does not accomplish that much, and was kinda boring. I think the main issue was choosing this episode to focus on Ren when we barely saw him do anything previously.
The episode also has some rather confused pacing and overall a very confusing plot and finishing. While it’s not inherently total trash, it’s still not a good episode.
Also am I the only one who thinks that this screenshot of the Magnemite from the episode reminds me of Stellaris’s Aetherophasic Engine?
FC0B2358-1C60-434C-BC1A-4C9D8337182E.jpeg

Overall, not very good and thus gets a 4/10.

Meh...Didn't care too much for this episode. It gave us some backstory for Ren and we did get that Kirby-esque boss battle, but not too much interesting. Dragonite got to do something though Cinderace can't ever seem to be on screen for long. No pointless captures though is nice. Overall kinda meh, but not the worst thing.

I’m so glad we finally learned how that one guy, who I suppose is a character on the show, met his Magnemite.

I love episodes in Vermillion city focusing on over-exposed Kanto Pokémon doing something unspecific and vague, with epic music played in the background only to further highlight how I don’t know what’s happening.

I wonder how many of Gary's extra pikachu Ash's Pikachu had to eat to get enough power to blast apart the hundreds of magnemite that made up that swarm

What a nothing episode to come back to, and very unpolished to boot, like with that weird freeze on Cinderace for several seconds before they realized they weren't actually going to animate anything beyond that and awkwardly transitioned away

I wonder how many of Gary's extra pikachu Ash's Pikachu had to eat to get enough power to blast apart the hundreds of magnemite that made up that swarm

What a nothing episode to come back to, and very unpolished to boot, like with that weird freeze on Cinderace for several seconds before they realized they weren't actually going to animate anything beyond that and awkwardly transitioned away
So I'm not the only one who seemed to noticed the puzzling transitions throughout this episode, nice to know

What a great backstory episode of Ren and his Magnemite, Françoise to show how bonding of them are in separatable. Also, the biggest surprise of the episode is the biggest eye from rampage Magnemite with the Man made satellite. Thankfully, Françoise come to it sense. Otherwise, another tearful episode will occurs.

Overall rating: B-

I’m so glad we finally learned how that one guy, who I suppose is a character on the show, met his Magnemite.

I love episodes in Vermillion city focusing on over-exposed Kanto Pokémon doing something unspecific and vague, with epic music played in the background only to further highlight how I don’t know what’s happening.
While it was for from the most exciting episode ever, I thought it was a necessary episode that fleshed out a recurring character who still needed a backstory. Chrysa had her backstory episode last year, now it was Ren's turn.

While it was for from the most exciting episode ever, I thought it was a necessary episode that fleshed out a recurring character who still needed a backstory. Chrysa had her backstory episode last year, now it was Ren's turn.
Chrysa's had the advantage of being good. It served as a look into her private life and gave Koharu some development on the side, making it fresh and unique. This episode on the other hand was the same basic 'help the cotd' episode we've all seen hundreds of times before. The backstory for Renji was good to get, but I would have liked to have seen it attached to a more unique and interesting episode like the Chrysa one was.

Yeah, solid "Renji episode" though as is being pointed out, not to the point of Kikuna's was, that being said, really solid job showing off Magnemite...odd emotiveness.

hold on WHAT DO YOU GUYS MEAN DARK MATTER WAS IN THIS EPISODE HELLO.. i don't feel like watching journeys so i doubt i'll make an exception for this ep (although i know there'll be an upcoming ep focusing on sophocles, so i think i WILL watch that one atleast) but i need to see dark matter in the pokeani hello... funny thing is i just started kirby 64 the other day too

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom