• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN096: Reach Out to Space! Denryu's Light!!

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Aceburn
Mika Kanai: Togedemaru
Risa Shimizu: Denryu
Kei Shindo: Raichu
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Fumiko Takekuma: Māmane
Yuki Hoshi: Hirota
Shogo Sakata: Staff member
Tatsuki Kobe: Staff member
Haruka Shamoto: Staff member
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Don't mind me, I'm just here cause Pikachu reuniting with Togedemaru popped up on my Twitter feed and as a S&M fan, that made me smile.
FKvsy0eXoAMalZu.jpg
FKvsy7JWQAE00JC.jpg

Booo where was Vikivolt?

Nice episode, I wanted since the Alola episode back at the school in the Jourbeyd for the classmates to just turn up from time to time like regular characters - not entirely sure what was going on with the satellite and everything but it all seems very relevant to Sophocles’s dream in a way we haven’t seen much of before.

Yeah given the mention of Kiawe, I'm pretty sure each SM character is going to get their own cameo episode now.

Lillie will probably get a 2-parter especially if it's Ultra beast related, Lana will get an ep meeting Manaphy, Mallow something cooking/restaurant related, and I guess Kiawe something battle oriented.

That feeling when all the SM characters are probably going to get more cameos than anyone from XY or AG, lol

Cinderace screentime pog

Once you get that though, the episode was pretty ok honestly. It has it's heartwarming moments between Ampharos and Soph, and ofc with Pikachu and Togedumaru. Always nice to see those and Cidnerace again. Also found the Kiawe mention funny, as a callback to JN037. The ending climax was also pretty lit, especially with the lightshow that was the powering up, the beam of death light, and the deorbiting of the satellite.
The only issue I have is that lowkey Ampharos powering up was a horrible mistake because Goh gets to be reunited with the Little Shit, but otherwise it's not that bad, especially because he didn't do much bad other than getting lost (and unfortunately didn't stay lost).

I'd give this a 7/10, which I think is good enough considering the potential shitstorm that next week's episode could be.

Yeah given the mention of Kiawe, I'm pretty sure each SM character is going to get their own cameo episode now.

Lillie will probably get a 2-parter especially if it's Ultra beast related, Lana will get an ep meeting Manaphy, Mallow something cooking/restaurant related, and I guess Kiawe something battle oriented.

That feeling when all the SM characters are probably going to get more cameos than anyone from XY or AG, lol
Do you think more of Goh's Pokemon or even Chloe's will meet with some of the Alola Companions?

Like today with Cinderace, Grookey and Raichu?

I can see Cinderace having a Rematch with Kiawe's Turtonator in Kiawe's episode

I could also see possibly see Inteleon and Dewgong having a role in a hypothetical Lana centric episode.
Heck I could also see Chloe appearing in this since Lana and Chloe both have an Eevee.

Grookey could play a bigger role in Mallow's hypothetical episode.

All of the Starters could meet Lillie in her episode

Average episode.

Since I love the Denryuu line, its scenes were the highlights.

But I still dislike Mamane and would have preferred seeing Fuu and Ran.

Glad to see our little fat boy genius again for chasing his dream to be astronaut with his cousin partner, Ampharos can't handle the stuff with no confidence. He can make the satellite comes down from Orbit, but not with the help from Pikachu, Raichu and Togedemaru energy. Otherwise, it won't enough. Nonetheless, it a decent episode.

Overall rating: C+

Last edited:
Yeah good ep all around. Got character moments, continuity and was entertaining throughout. Don't really have any notable complaints about this one. I hope we get more of these, giving returning characters 1 ep to focus on their goals again. At least with alola ones (like Lillie/Gladion especially).

For a filler episode I must say it was a decent and entertaining one.

What I particularly liked was the idea of Ampharos being not only a "sea lighthouse" but also a "space lighthouse" (as Ash put it). With modern technology the ocean nowadays is probably not as dangerous as it used to be, so giving Ampharos a new purpose so to speak, namely using it to safely guide satellites home shows to me there was some creative thinking behind this episode. And that "coming home safely"-motif also had something comforting about it. I really liked that.

As for the rest ofthe episode, it was a solid plot with some fiting pieces of music, especially at the end.

The good:
+Seeing Sophocles again, advancing on his goal and learning to do new things with new Pokemon. It's what should be expected from companion returns so it's nice they nailed it with him.
+Related to the above, Ash and Goh didn't get on the way of Sophocles development and only helped when it was necessary.
+Interesting and creative plot with intriguing fake science.

The bad:
-The backgrounds were kinda boring for a space-themed episode, they looked like BW's at best and AG's at worst.
-Ampharos got over its crisis too quickly.

8/10, as one of the few Sophocles fans that exists it was serviceable enough.

Is it just me or is the music in this episode really unfitting and overly emotional?

Also, were the writers just "Hey, isn't Cinderace supposed to be a Walking Pokemon?" in this Episode? I mean, I don't mind it, I missed when it was a Walking Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom