• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN097: Yadoking! Curry Encounter!!

This is the only Journeys episode I turned off before finishing. I even tolerated the Blue Pokemon episode. But the """"rap"""" battle was so bad. It was basically "Yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo hey hey hey hey hey hey" with like 2 actual sentences thrown in between. And rap battles aren't supposed to be so slow. Also, if the original episode was such a traumatic experience for Goh, why did he even come back to the Island? Because that episode was pretty much his whole previous experience with the Island, so his view on it should have gotten tarnished. He's even acting friendly towards the same Slowking from the original episode. This was terrible.

Last edited:
1644700877364.png

...You and me both, Goh. Even if I imagine Rica had some fun with this.

This episode was slow. Previous one was so much better.

Question: Considering the dub treat Gou as a black character, would this episode seem offensive to American audience?

As much as this episode sounds like it was legitimately terrible and literally nobody would miss it if the dub skipped it, since the issue is primarily with script it is something the dub could easily fix by simply not having crappy, "yo hey yo hey yo," lyrics, thereby giving them no reason to skip the episode.

As much as this episode sounds like it was legitimately terrible and literally nobody would miss it if the dub skipped it, since the issue is primarily with script it is something the dub could easily fix by simply not having crappy, "yo hey yo hey yo," lyrics, thereby giving them no reason to skip the episode.
I guess it could turn into one of those cases where the dub is legitimately better than the original if they added in proper lyrics.

I think the least they could do was not stereotype rap culture if all other aspects of the episode are copy pasted anyways.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom