• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN098: Pokémon Circus! Booster and Thunders!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww the Jolteon looks cute. Want to badly know what episode 100 is

I have a suspicion its a Project Mew Episode. We haven't gotten one since JN88 and Goh has pretty much taken a backseat in terms of focus episodes since then
JN89 and JN90 - Shared focus of all protags (But more Chloe than Ash and Goh)
JN91 and JN92 - Ash focused (And Gengar for that matter)
JN93 - Renji focus (Ash and Goh were supporting characters
JN94 - Pinsir and Heracross focus (And a little bit of Goh, since he was the catalysator for the drama, although unknowingly)
JN95 - Team Rocket focus
JN96 - Most likely shared
JN97 - Shared again
JN 98 - Chloe focus
JN99 - Ash focus

I still just wanna know what exactly is the point of these "Chloe meets an Eeveelution" episodes, outside of marketing the Eeveelutions. They haven't been bad, but they haven’t necessarily pushed her towards any goals and her Eevee can't evolve. Its not like Eevee is waiting to decide and they're gonna surprise us with a new Eeveelution. That Eevee just simply can't evolve, like your partner in Let's Go Eevee. Its even shown resistance to evolution stones. Unless they're gonna use this episode specifically to push her towards contests after she learned more from Dawn, I just don't get the point.

Last edited:
I still just wanna know what exactly is the point of these "Chloe meets an Eeveelution" episodes, outside of marketing the Eeveelutions. They haven't been bad, but they haven’t necessarily pushed her towards any goals and her Eevee can't evolve. Its not like Eevee is waiting to decide and they're gonna surprise us with a new Eeveelution. That Eevee just simply can't evolve, like your partner in Let's Go Eevee. Its even shown resistance to evolution stones. Unless they're gonna use this episode specifically to push her towards contests after she learned more from Dawn, I just don't get the point.
To be fair, one of the researchers speculated that Eevee's inability to evolve wasn't actually an inability at all, but just her resisting evolution out of indecision. Of course, it becomes a bit weird when this was showcased via Evolution Stones, which in the games cannot be "resisted" at all (not even by pushing the B button), but it's possible that the anime created its own rules about that.

Another possibility is that they're building up to the reveal that Chloe's Eevee has the Gigantamax factor, but it feels way too late at this point: Gigantamax Eevee has been common knowledge for almost four years now, and it feels weird to make a big deal out of something having the Gigantamax factor when such forms were randomly showcased in abundance early on in Journeys without anyone so much as batting an eyelash, especially since the reveal that Pokemon can obtain the factor with Dynamax Soup just like in the games, so why should it be so special for Chloe's Eevee to have it? Partner Eevee would be a much more unique and interesting reveal, but Let's Go is even older than Gigantamax Eevee and was entirely restricted to one set of games, so it still feels odd to wait until now to showcase it unless there's plans for the Partner Pokemon (or at least their Partner Moves) to appear in future games or something of the like, but I think that's pretty unlikely to say the least.

My guess is that these Eeveelution episodes, if they're actually leading up to something, can conclude three different ways:

1) It'll be revealed that Chloe's Eevee was indeed holding herself back from evolving, but will make a definitive decision at the end, which will in turn be mirrored by Chloe choosing a path in life. If this is the case, then I'd say that Chloe's Eevee will evolve into either Espeon or Leafeon. Espeon mainly because Chloe's Eevee seemed to show some precognition abilities in the Espeon/Umbreon episode, meaning the Psychic Eeveelution would make the most sense; Leafeon because Chloe's surname evokes cherry blossoms, so Eevee evolving into the Grass-type Eeveelution could be symbolic of Chloe "blooming" into her own.

2) There'll be a new Eeveelution in Gen 9, and the reason Eevee cannot evolve will turn out to be because she was already on her way to becoming this new Eeveelution and just needed to meet a few more requirements before that happened.

3) It'll never be clear exactly why Eevee cannot evolve: she just can't and that's it. Chloe and Eevee will be sad about this at first thinking that this means they can never have a goal in life, but then something will happen that makes them realize that they can still find a path of their own anyway even with this disadvantage. Perhaps Eevee could be inspired on this by Ash's Pikachu, a Pokemon who did have the option to evolve but deliberately chose not to. Maybe Eevee will think "hey, if he can become strong without an evolution, why can't I?", and so she and Chloe resolve to become stronger together and then go on to travel the world and do their own thing.

Whatever happens though, Yamper should be a part of this. Why isn't Yamper allowed to participate in this plotline when he was technically the one who kickstarted it? Give Yamper screentime already, dangit.

Summary and staff list courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Satoshi, Go and Koharu visit a Pokémon Circus where they meet the two performers Karen and Billy. Karen loves Fire type Pokémon and Billy loves Electric type Pokémon, and they both intend to evolve their Eievui into a Booster and a Thunders respectively before the upcoming performance. However, they accidentally evolve the two Eievui into the opposite evolved form. There's not much time left before the curtain goes up; Can the performance still play out successfully?

Screenplay 柿原優子 (Yuko Kakihara)
Storyboard 齋藤徳明 (Noriaki Saito)
Episode Director 上野史博 (Fumihiro Ueno)
Animation Director 篠原隆 (Takashi Shinohara)

Summary and staff list courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Satoshi, Go and Koharu visit a Pokémon Circus where they meet the two performers Karen and Billy. Karen loves Fire type Pokémon and Billy loves Electric type Pokémon, and they both intend to evolve their Eievui into a Booster and a Thunders respectively before the upcoming performance. However, they accidentally evolve the two Eievui into the opposite evolved form. There's not much time left before the curtain goes up; Can the performance still play out successfully?

Screenplay 柿原優子 (Yuko Kakihara)
Storyboard 齋藤徳明 (Noriaki Saito)
Episode Director 上野史博 (Fumihiro Ueno)
Animation Director 篠原隆 (Takashi Shinohara)
This actually sounds somewhat interesting now.

Plot twist: Grookey somehow causes the stones to fall on the wrong Eevee.
To be fair, one of the researchers speculated that Eevee's inability to evolve wasn't actually an inability at all, but just her resisting evolution out of indecision. Of course, it becomes a bit weird when this was showcased via Evolution Stones, which in the games cannot be "resisted" at all (not even by pushing the B button), but it's possible that the anime created its own rules about that.
I mean, Pikachu is the most evolution resistant Pokémon we know and isn’t it heavily implied that if someone were to just bonk it with a stone it would evolve? I remember Pikachu doing its best to avoid contact with Thunder Stone at points.

3) It'll never be clear exactly why Eevee cannot evolve: she just can't and that's it.
I feel this is what's going to happen.

At least the fears of Koharu doing a Contest without Dawn around are averted. Looking at this though circus acts really would fit right in during Contests or showcases

I mean, Pikachu is the most evolution resistant Pokémon we know and isn’t it heavily implied that if someone were to just bonk it with a stone it would evolve? I remember Pikachu doing its best to avoid contact with Thunder Stone at points.
shrugs the anime is no stranger to retcons, but if Eevee can resist stone evolution and Pikachu cannot, maybe Pikachu is just a big wimp :p

I mean, it's either that or Pikachu simply doesn't want to take any chances, so it's better to just avoid the stone altogether than try and see if he'll resist evolution or not. But yeah, I agree that the most likely outcome will be that Eevee's inability to evolve simply won't be explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom