• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN099: Mary of Spike Town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't understimate the staff, they can still rush this episode.

Seeing how many things are attempting to cram into it.

It has happened before, and history can repeat itself.

Ngl a 1v1 is disappointing but at least Gengar gets a battle all to himself. Poor guy's still hanging onto that W from Raichu.

I suppose another positive is that Dynamax/Gigantamax is finally getting a battle with Ash using it, coming all the way from that unofficial battle against Leon. Crazy how the last time we saw two users doing this was Goh against a random grunt, and how this is Ash’s second time of acquaintance with it in battle against a trainer…
Personally, I think the gimmick just looks clunky, with not much movement to make note of any strategies. That is to say, that’s only when both Pokemon are using it, cause the Machamp v Lucario was alright. So, yay.

My lack of posts recently just shows I literally have nothing to say about this show anymore. It’s either been said a million times, or the show keeps repeating silly things over and over. This rushed aspect, Gengar’s development, and Marnie’s, I’m generally not surprised by.

I suppose another positive is that Dynamax/Gigantamax is finally getting a battle with Ash using it, coming all the way from that unofficial battle against Leon. Crazy how the last time we saw two users doing this was Goh against a random grunt, and how this is Ash’s second time of acquaintance with it in battle against a trainer…
Personally, I think the gimmick just looks clunky, with not much movement to make note of any strategies. That is to say, that’s only when both Pokemon are using it, cause the Machamp v Lucario was alright. So, yay.

My lack of posts recently just shows I literally have nothing to say about this show anymore. It’s either been said a million times, or the show keeps repeating silly things over and over. This rushed aspect, Gengar’s development, and Marnie’s, I’m generally not surprised by.
Despite this, this is still the only episode of Journeys that I'm actually looking forward to this month.

Staff list courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Screenplay 冨岡淳広 (Atsuhiro Tomioka)
Storyboard 矢嶋哲生 (Tetsuo Yajima)
Episode Director 牧野吉高 (Yoshitaka Makino)
Animation Director 山崎玲愛 (Rei Yamazaki)
Animation Director 新岡浩美 (Hiromi Niioka)

I still think Ash might lose, the amount of promotion they're giving Marnie and Piers in those magazines doesn't make sense if this is just a one off episode. Even if Gengar takes another loss, I'll take it if we get a 3 on 3 rematch in the future.

Staff list courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Screenplay 冨岡淳広 (Atsuhiro Tomioka)
Storyboard 矢嶋哲生 (Tetsuo Yajima)
Episode Director 牧野吉高 (Yoshitaka Makino)
Yajima...
Screw it, I can’t favor any director anymore after the Kalos league. The directors are puppets to the higher ups who don’t care about the show and just want to make money.

Yajima...
Screw it, I can’t favor any director anymore after the Kalos league. The directors are puppets to the higher ups who don’t care about the show and just want to make money.
Team Rocket were ahead of the times (skip to 0:28)
Basically every decision the show has made since 8/18 (James and Jessie are the higher ups)

This is a good sign.
Sure, Tomioka as a writer is great and all, but...

...those two are a bad sign. I checked what they've produced previously and they've only ever done stuff that's looked average at best. So I guess we can forget this battle being visually impressive, unless Maenami or some other freelancer makes a surprise appearance. This will probably go down the same path as the Rinto fight where animation prevents the battle from being enjoyable. And then there's the fact it's a one parter so it has the rushing-issue looming over it too. Hope I'm wrong about all this though.

...those two are a bad sign. I checked what they've produced previously and they've only ever done stuff that's looked average at best. So I guess we can forget this battle being visually impressive, unless Maenami or some other freelancer makes a surprise appearance. This will probably go down the same path as the Rinto fight where animation prevents the battle from being enjoyable. And then there's the fact it's a one parter so it has the rushing-issue looming over it too. Hope I'm wrong about all this though.
Is there really anyone out of the JN animation directors who'd be better suited for this episode? Reminder than Iwane just worked on 6 consecutive episodes (5 of them being solo KA'd), so there was no chance he was going to be working on this one. I mean, Yamazaki's episodes haven't been terrible compared to the usual output of this series (22, 30, 45, 90 stand out), and Niioka's have been fine as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Oshida on this. Even if it turns out to be mediocre visually, I'm sure it will look better than most of Journeys anyways.

I had hoped that 1v1 battles were a thing of the past, but alas...

I'll admit I'm incredibly torn here: on one hand, Gengar absolutely can't afford to get yet another freaking loss. On the other hand, losing to Marnie would mean the chance for a rematch that hopefully would be better or at least involve more Pokemon. Granted, this issue would be nonexistent if this battle wasn't a 1v1, since if we had at least a 2v2 we could give Gengar a win but still have Ash ultimately lose.

Seriously, though, 1v1 battles should not be happening this late into a World Tournament. I just find that they're rather unreliable for properly determining the skill of a trainer since they have to bank everything on just one Pokemon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom