• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN099: Mary of Spike Town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found these on twitter

FLz1UwIVIAIrOL4.jpg

FLz1UwIVUAQyYOM.jpg

IIRC, Pokédex says that Grimmsnarl can jump well. At least its physical strength is great, so I could see it jumping high.
It's cuz his body is covered in hair, and is not only super strong, but also magic (think something like Marvel's Medusa or SPOP's Entrapta). It seems like an interesting Pokémon to see fighting.

If only Ash could've had one...

Marnie looking like a straight-up villain in that last shot. If Gengar didn't have all of this build-up, I'd say that Ash is gonna get pounded.

That move that Grimmsnarl is charging through is Dazzling Gleam, I'm sure of it. And I don't think Grimmsnarl used it if it's charging through it, so guess what that means? Gengar Dazzling Gleam confirmed. (Marnie's probably going to lose now, though I won't make any judgement on the outcome just yet, it could still go either way.)

I love how when it was first announced Gengar learned Dazzling Gleam, there was a vocal opinion that it was a serious error due to it not using the move in the immediate battle with Volkner that aired shortly afterwards (despite it only using 3 moves in said battle). But what do you know, they did in fact speak true.

I'm looking forward to this as it's been a while since we've had any decent battling. Hopefully Gengar gets a much needed win here.

That move Grimmsnarl is using I'm nearly positive is Spirit Break; it seems to resemble the animation from the games (the pinkish glow.) Also, anyone else notice that about 14 seconds into the preview, when Grimmsnarl jumps to attack Gengar, because of the lighting Ash's Gengar seems to resemble a normal colored Gengar in the anime for about a second or two (Gengar's backside, note the darker shade of purple.)

Edit: It was more like a split-second with Gengar's color being different.

Last edited:
I love how when it was first announced Gengar learned Dazzling Gleam, there was a vocal opinion that it was a serious error due to it not using the move in the immediate battle with Volkner that aired shortly afterwards (despite it only using 3 moves in said battle). But what do you know, they did in fact speak true.

I'm looking forward to this as it's been a while since we've had any decent battling. Hopefully Gengar gets a much needed win here.
The announcement showed that Dazzling Gleam would be replacing Psychic, even though Gengar was still seen using it in the Volkner battle and more recently in the Spiritomb episode. So up until this point, I think it was fair to assume that Dazzling Gleam being included in Gengar's moveset was an error since there have been zero indications of Gengar replacing Psychic with a new move, aside from that announcement around half a year ago. Of course, we now know that Gengar's eventual moveset update was most likely leaked early in that announcement.

The announcement showed that Dazzling Gleam would be replacing Psychic, even though Gengar was still seen using it in the Volkner battle and more recently in the Spiritomb episode. So up until this point, I think it was fair to assume that Dazzling Gleam being included in Gengar's moveset was an error since there have been zero indications of Gengar replacing Psychic with a new move, aside from that announcement around half a year ago. Of course, we now know that Gengar's eventual moveset update was most likely leaked early in that announcement.
I did say in an earlier post that Gengar was probably getting a new move here, either Dazzling Gleam or a Poison type move. It realistically didn't stand much of a chance against Grimmsnarl without something new, its best bet would have been Ice Punch. Looks like that announcement was right after all though. But is it really going to be Psychic that gets replaced? Should be Night Shade instead. Personally, I'd like Gengar to get a Poison type move here instead/in addition to what it already has, since I stand by the notion that a dual-type Pokemon should be able to take advantage of both of its STABS, I always do so with dual types if I'm able. Eh, Dazzling Gleam's not bad though. Looks like Gengar will the first of Ash's Pokemon to use both a Ghost and Fairy type move. Eat your heart out, Mr.Mime! (Seriously though, why didn't it just stay with Ash's Mom in Pallet Town? Like, I get the Detective Pikachu promotion early on, but what's the point of it even being there anymore?)

We'll almost definitely see G-Max Snooze here from Grimmsnarl, but what about Max Starfall from Gengar? G-Max Terror might also be used, but its additional effect would be useless in this battle, since its 1v1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom