• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN099: Mary of Spike Town!

This episode gives me the vibes of "here, your game characters, now leave us alone."
Honestly, gonna have to disagree with you, and not just because of the new OP. The writing in this episode respected Marnie, Piers and Team Yell’s characters from the games perfectly. For example, I really liked that moment where it seemed like Piers was gonna drive his motorcycle super-fast only for him to be all like “safety first.” It makes total sense for him, since he’s probably ridden with Marnie before.

Honestly, gonna have to disagree with you, and not just because of the new OP. The writing in this episode respected Marnie, Piers and Team Yell’s characters from the games perfectly. For example, I really liked that moment where it seemed like Piers was gonna drive his motorcycle super-fast only for him to be all like “safety first.” It makes total sense for him, since he’s probably ridden with Marnie before.
They still introduced and wrapped up all of Spike Town, Mary, Piers, and Team Yell in a single episode

Maybe if we're lucky they'll help out when the Super Sword & Shield Bros interrupt Ash and Leon's match so Ash can go wander the ScarVio region for 3 years before fighting Leon again

They still introduced and wrapped up all of Spike Town, Mary, Piers, and Team Yell in a single episode

Maybe if we're lucky they'll help out when the Super Sword & Shield Bros interrupt Ash and Leon's match so Ash can go wander the ScarVio region for 3 years before fighting Leon again
Spike Town in the games is 1 hallway you walk down.

Team Yell in the games are nothing more then cheerleaders who do next to nothing.

Marnie in the games barely appears and has almost no story relevance.

Piers being a Gym leader is a bit more important, but we're likely seeing him again anyway. So there's nothing that was lost overall

I don't think we're disagreeing in anything?

Spike Town in the games is 1 hallway you walk down.

Team Yell in the games are nothing more then cheerleaders who do next to nothing.

Marnie in the games barely appears and has almost no story relevance.

Piers being a Gym leader is a bit more important, but we're likely seeing him again anyway. So there's nothing that was lost overall
I'd say they flushed out these characters the most they could given how little they had to work with from the games.
I agree. It was a very good representation of their characters from the games in my book. Especially Piers, like you said. That's his whole thing, like he comes off as a bad guy because of the type he trains, where he's from, and his overall appearance, but he's actually a really cool dude, nice guy, and great big brother to Marnie.

One other thing I forgot to mention about this episode when it first aired was I thought the battle wasn't too bad, it had its moments. (Namely Gengar literally inhaling Grimmsnarl to cancel its attack just as the Gigantamax wore off, very strategic thinking Ash!) And Gengar's new moves are both great, we all knew Dazzling Gleam was coming but Sludge Bomb was a very welcome surprise. (I'm so glad it got a Poison move, and a good one at that!) This is no doubt Gengar's final moveset, and it's fantastic. (It kinda reminds of Naganadel's moveset.)

Edit: Also really liked Marnie's character in this episode, the way she chewed out the Team Yell Grunts for tricking Ash, the way she spoke in subtitles with British-style speak like in the games, and, of course, her smile at the end. Too precious. :giggle: It's been said many times already, but I too am very glad that Gengar got a win here, it needed it badly.
1650591583974.png
1650591430962.png

(Two of the best screenshots in the episode in my opinion, the smile's obvious as to why, and I've always loved the congratulatory hug Ash will give one of his bigger, non-Pikachu Pokemon after they've won a battle. :giggle:)

Double Edit: As of this episode, I think Ash's Gengar is the first Gengar (or any of the Gastly line for that matter,) in the entire anime to use a Poison type move. Crazy. :oops:

Last edited:
I took a peek on the episode because of Piers and... I'm kinda disappointed with the seiyuu trade. Damn, I love Kishou so much, he's a perfect match for Piers, since both are rock singers, after all. I like Shimono, but... Meh. Though I do understand Kishou is on tour right now, so me might've been too busy to voice him. And he had covid, too. Good thing he's fine now.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom