• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review JN100: Close Contact! Dande's Special Training!!

BigDocFan

Cubone's Ghostly Parent
Reaction score
That was rather disappointing, Leon had a battle with Flint that only lasted a few minutes.

It was great to see more character from Leon

L-05308

Reaction score
Zzz

Nothing to say about the episode but it does highlight a question I’ve had for a while: we saw Flint go from rank 7 to rank 8 - but what happened to whoever was rank 8 before? Have they gone up to 7 now?

And now we realise that Ash’s rank should have been fluctuating as the other 88 people in the Ultra rank and other ranks went up and down - it’s beginning to make little sense.

Ash is rank 15 now, how does he even enter the Masters 8? Does he have to beat rank 9; does he have to beat number 8 to then become number 8? How can he at 15 be given the same chance to join the masters 8 as ranks 14 through 9 with organised battles?

If Ultra class trainers can only raise their rank in battles organised for them, and not whenever they want - everyone rank 99 or lower has to be given enough battles to get to the top 8?

I suspect there will be no answers, but I’d like to see Ash have to battle a masters 8 trainer in order to take their place (Flint or Raihan, and at least be a 3 on 3)

Last edited:

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Zzz

Nothing to say about the episode but it does highlight a question I’ve had for a while: we saw Flint go from rank 7 to rank 8 - but what happened to whoever was rank 8 before? Have they gone up to 7 now?

And now we realise that Ash’s rank should have been fluctuating as the other 88 people in the Ultra rank and other ranks went up and down - it’s beginning to make little sense.

Ash is rank 15 now, how does he even enter the Masters 8? Does he have to beat rank 9; does he have to beat number 8 to then become number 8? How can he at 15 be given the same chance to join the masters 8 as ranks 14 through 9 with organised battles?

If Ultra class trainers can only raise their rank in battles organised for them, and not whenever they want - everyone rank 99 or lower has to be given enough battles to get to the top 8?

I suspect there will be no answers, but I’d like to see Ash have to battle a masters 8 trainer in order to take their place (Flint or Raihan, and at least be a 3 on 3)
This has been one of my biggest complaints about the PWC ever since it debuted: the ranking system makes no sense and was never explained.

JinksChow

Reaction score
This has been one of my biggest complaints about the PWC ever since it debuted: the ranking system makes no sense and was never explained.

There's probably an ELO ranking system behind the scenes, which is probably too hard to explain in the show itself.

90'sPokéfan

Reaction score
In real life, a lot of sport organisations are keeping track of the ranking of national teams. You can gain points by winning or drawing in official matches, but also recognised practice matches. You can lose points by losing or drawing.

The number of points you gain or lose has a lot of possible factors. For example an official match will be more important than a recognised practice match. A win against a team who is much higher will be worth more points than a team which is a little higher or even bellow you. Etc.

Most sports organisations have their own (complex) method to calculate. This way it is possible you go up or down the ranking, even if you or your team weren't active, if the teams before you do a bad job or those behind you do a good job.

However, Ash seems to be stable in between his own matches and the jump from 36 to 15 with only a single win against the number 29 (?) is still a big jump in my opinion.

In universe there will be a complex way to calculate the ranking I think (out of universe I don't think there is math behind it, the writers just give him a new, higher place if he wins and a lower place if he loses).

Alola

UltraMysteryDungeon, when?
Reaction score
They could have done Flint and his Infernape better than that, lol; he put on a much better showing against Cynthia and her Gacrhomp.

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
I got so distracted by the new OP, I literally forgot about there was an episode somehow

So did they show Leon's full Team yet?

ShashaR

Sinnoh Leauge Crusher
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Nice episode, disappointing battle although showing more of leon's character and bonding with Ash was good .

Onto more exciting matters, The opening was massive mype . Paul ? Iris and Marnie again ? ASH GRENINJA ? The OP seems to focus more on Ash, wonder why ? Ash wearing Dmax band, Z Ring and Mega glove at once was awesome . Transition from Regigigas and new regis to G Max Charizard was SMOOTH .

BigDocFan

Cubone's Ghostly Parent
Reaction score
Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Shinichiro Miki: Amorga
Risa Shimizu: Amorga
Kenta Miyake: Lizardon
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Shogo Sakata: Goukazaru
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Tohru Nara: Oba
Marina Inoue: Sonia
Yuji Ueda: Commentator
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Maxwell Powers: Drone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Singaporean

Reaction score
Such a decent episode for the boys having their little adventure with Leon and Sonia respectively at the same time of learning their past encounter especially Leon from the Darkest Day experience that make him more stronger to bond with pokemon more. Also, Sonia still a bad driver as usual.

Overall rating: B-

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
There's probably an ELO ranking system behind the scenes, which is probably too hard to explain in the show itself.
If it's complex to the point where they literally cannot explain it, then they shouldn't have made it like that.

Just yet another proof the PWC was deeply flawed from the start.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
If it's complex to the point where they literally cannot explain it, then they shouldn't have made it like that.

Just yet another proof the PWC was deeply flawed from the start.
The point system had never bothered me about the WCS. I've overall enjoyed the concept.

Enzo

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
The point system had never bothered me about the WCS. I've overall enjoyed the concept.
The problem is because this showcases yet another writing flaw in it. How do you create a system in your lore you just can't even explain to your audience?

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
The problem is because this showcases yet another writing flaw in it. How do you create a system in your lore you just can't even explain to your audience?
They've explained how the ranking system works. They just don't need to go into the details.