• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN100: Close Contact! Dande's Special Training!!

Zzz

Nothing to say about the episode but it does highlight a question I’ve had for a while: we saw Flint go from rank 7 to rank 8 - but what happened to whoever was rank 8 before? Have they gone up to 7 now?

And now we realise that Ash’s rank should have been fluctuating as the other 88 people in the Ultra rank and other ranks went up and down - it’s beginning to make little sense.

Ash is rank 15 now, how does he even enter the Masters 8? Does he have to beat rank 9; does he have to beat number 8 to then become number 8? How can he at 15 be given the same chance to join the masters 8 as ranks 14 through 9 with organised battles?

If Ultra class trainers can only raise their rank in battles organised for them, and not whenever they want - everyone rank 99 or lower has to be given enough battles to get to the top 8?

I suspect there will be no answers, but I’d like to see Ash have to battle a masters 8 trainer in order to take their place (Flint or Raihan, and at least be a 3 on 3)

Last edited:
Zzz

Nothing to say about the episode but it does highlight a question I’ve had for a while: we saw Flint go from rank 7 to rank 8 - but what happened to whoever was rank 8 before? Have they gone up to 7 now?

And now we realise that Ash’s rank should have been fluctuating as the other 88 people in the Ultra rank and other ranks went up and down - it’s beginning to make little sense.

Ash is rank 15 now, how does he even enter the Masters 8? Does he have to beat rank 9; does he have to beat number 8 to then become number 8? How can he at 15 be given the same chance to join the masters 8 as ranks 14 through 9 with organised battles?

If Ultra class trainers can only raise their rank in battles organised for them, and not whenever they want - everyone rank 99 or lower has to be given enough battles to get to the top 8?

I suspect there will be no answers, but I’d like to see Ash have to battle a masters 8 trainer in order to take their place (Flint or Raihan, and at least be a 3 on 3)
This has been one of my biggest complaints about the PWC ever since it debuted: the ranking system makes no sense and was never explained.

This has been one of my biggest complaints about the PWC ever since it debuted: the ranking system makes no sense and was never explained.

There's probably an ELO ranking system behind the scenes, which is probably too hard to explain in the show itself.

In real life, a lot of sport organisations are keeping track of the ranking of national teams. You can gain points by winning or drawing in official matches, but also recognised practice matches. You can lose points by losing or drawing.

The number of points you gain or lose has a lot of possible factors. For example an official match will be more important than a recognised practice match. A win against a team who is much higher will be worth more points than a team which is a little higher or even bellow you. Etc.

Most sports organisations have their own (complex) method to calculate. This way it is possible you go up or down the ranking, even if you or your team weren't active, if the teams before you do a bad job or those behind you do a good job.

However, Ash seems to be stable in between his own matches and the jump from 36 to 15 with only a single win against the number 29 (?) is still a big jump in my opinion.

In universe there will be a complex way to calculate the ranking I think (out of universe I don't think there is math behind it, the writers just give him a new, higher place if he wins and a lower place if he loses).

Nice episode, disappointing battle although showing more of leon's character and bonding with Ash was good .

Onto more exciting matters, The opening was massive mype . Paul ? Iris and Marnie again ? ASH GRENINJA ? The OP seems to focus more on Ash, wonder why ? Ash wearing Dmax band, Z Ring and Mega glove at once was awesome . Transition from Regigigas and new regis to G Max Charizard was SMOOTH .

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Shinichiro Miki: Amorga
Risa Shimizu: Amorga
Kenta Miyake: Lizardon
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Shogo Sakata: Goukazaru
Daisuke Ono: Dande
Tohru Nara: Oba
Marina Inoue: Sonia
Yuji Ueda: Commentator
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Maxwell Powers: Drone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Such a decent episode for the boys having their little adventure with Leon and Sonia respectively at the same time of learning their past encounter especially Leon from the Darkest Day experience that make him more stronger to bond with pokemon more. Also, Sonia still a bad driver as usual.

Overall rating: B-

There's probably an ELO ranking system behind the scenes, which is probably too hard to explain in the show itself.
If it's complex to the point where they literally cannot explain it, then they shouldn't have made it like that.

Just yet another proof the PWC was deeply flawed from the start.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom