• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Preview JN101: One Stick, Bachinkey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengarzilla

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I was taking in terms of design.

That's why I disliked the line at first sight.

The anime just made me despise it.
Judging on design is pretty daft, particularly for Pokémon with evolutions. Popplio got so much grief for "being ugly" but then Primarina ended up being best of that trio in both typical battling and how it looks.

Anyways, I'd say I have personally been quite patient with Grookey's antics so far for the simple reason of "it's not Greninja" (the best thing Greninja did was give me that insurmountable low bar which I now measure all the anime starters against), to the extent where I really did throw more venomous hate at Oshawott in BW than I do with Grookey now. Maybe this episode won't be as big of a game changer for me as it might for 99.99% of folks here but it's still one I ought to keep an eye on.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I don't really recall Lotad doing much besides using water gun against TR once or twice. Not that it really matters, but Pokemon evolving after doing very little has always been a thing.
Those are the exceptions and not the norm, and also while Pokémon evolving after doing very little has been a thing, Pokémon evolving after doing nothing is pretty damning. Also just because Alola’s was handled badly doesn’t justify any other Pokémon being treated that way.

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
It's weird, you'd think Grookey would've at least have shown an interest in seeing Piers' Rillaboom considering he'll be bonding with Thwacky in 2 weeks

Sai

Reaction score
Those are the exceptions and not the norm, and also while Pokémon evolving after doing very little has been a thing, Pokémon evolving after doing nothing is pretty damning. Also just because Alola’s was handled badly doesn’t justify any other Pokémon being treated that way.
That's not really true. The majority of Brock and Misty's Pokémon used to evolve after doing not much more than Grookey. Besides Lotad look at whatever the hell Brock's Zubat or Pineco did before evolving, next to nothing. Misty's Poliwag evolved after literally only 1 real battle.

BTW I don't think Grookey is evolving in this episode anyway, so the point is moot.

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
That's not really true. The majority of Brock and Misty's Pokémon used to evolve after doing not much more than Grookey. Besides Lotad look at whatever the hell Brock's Zubat or Pineco did before evolving, next to nothing. Misty's Poliwag evolved after literally only 1 real battle.

BTW I don't think Grookey is evolving in this episode anyway, so the point is moot.
They at least appeared for a few episodes before evolving. Poor Drizzile couldn’t really be afforded that opportunity. Besides, whataboutism isn’t a valid argument anyways so I don’t know why you keep shifting to that

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm gonna say this right now, I will hate it if Grookey evolves. It being such a trouble maker shows how unfit of a match it and Goh are.

Ash had three regional starter trios, four now if you count Hisui, and 1/3 to 2/3 of them actually evolved, Johto and Unova not even making past their mid form. Are they telling me, that Goh, the guy who hardly trains his Pokemon, is going to do what Red did and have a fully evolved regional starter trio, before Ash, who actually trains his Pokemon.

Does anyone see where I'm coming from here?

Eclipsical

Goh’s Pokédex Completion Percentage: 12.0% done!
Reaction score
I don’t think Grookey will evolve here because they would never pass up having Grookey-Chespin antics in the Clemont/Bonnie episode. But after that, I wouldn’t be surprised if it does evolve. They already went all the way with Cinderace and Inteleon, they probably and may as well complete the trio.

I don’t necessarily think that all evolution needs to come strictly from constant battling, it could also just be natural maturity. If Grookey finds a motivation or goal that it can focus all of it’s rambunctious energy into instead of towards causing mischief and evolves into a more focused and capable Thwackey, I’d consider that acceptable and within Journeys expectations for development.

Last edited:

Rainbow-Rain

Reaction score
So considering Gen 9 is at the end of this year, How long so you guys think it'll take before Grookey evolves all the way to it's final stage?

It took Scorbunny and Sobble almost an entire year to reach their final stages

If Grookey does reach Rillaboom, I have a feeling they will pull an Incineroar on it where it doesn't evolve until the very end of the series

CharizardFan7

Though I'm also a Blaziken fan
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
So considering Gen 9 is at the end of this year, How long so you guys think it'll take before Grookey evolves all the way to it's final stage?

It took Scorbunny and Sobble almost an entire year to reach their final stages

If Grookey does reach Rillaboom, I have a feeling they will pull an Incineroar on it where it doesn't evolve until the very end of the series
The sooner Goh and Grookey are gone, the better. And if they do pull an Incineroar on Grookey, I don't think most of us will care that much.

BigDocFan

The Arcanine of Legend!
Reaction score
Summary and VA list courtesy of Adamant

One day Satoshi and his friends encounter a Bachinkey that only has a single stick. There's a certain reason for this, but since Sarunori greatly admires its evolved form, it does something unexpected...

Summary:
Satoshi and Go are visiting the Wild Area in the Galar region when they encounter a Bachinkey. Go's Sarunori greatly admres its evolved form, but... Bachinkey are normally supposed to have two sticks, and for some reason this one only seems to have one? And there IS a reason for it! What will Satoshi, Go and Sarunori do with this Bachinkey?!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu

Kurolegacy

Reaction score
Lmao they pretty much copy pasted the same plot line as last year's rushed evo
At least Sobble had a reason to admire Inteleon given that it was brave and suave, pretty much the polar opposite of it and gave it something to strive to be. Grookey on the other hand has no real personality, just an unfunny gag.

Rainbow-Rain

Reaction score
Everyone look! A female Thwacky!

Screenshot_2022-03-04-09-35-50~2.png

Female Starters besides Primarina and Delphox actually existing in modern times?

Well slap me silly that's a rarity right there!

Makes me want to imagine what a Female Raboot or Female Drizzile would look like

Or better yet, SHOW ME A FEMALE CINDERACE, FEMALE INTELEON AND FEMALE RILLABOOM NOW!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.