• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN101: One Stick, Bachinkey!

Reading this thread Im pretty convinced they could've done anything with Grookey in this episode and it wouldn't convince people to not despise the thing LOL
Well when you’ve dug a hole that deep even throwing the longest rope down from the top you’re not gonna reach the bottom to pull it out. After a year of it being nothing but a pest or a prop, it’s too little too late.

At least he didn't evolve lol
If he evolved, his character might've changed for the better

They keep having grookey learn about not being a piece of work, but whoops, they keep walking it back because they're afraid to change it for mew-only-knows why

An alright episode for the boys tried to restore confidence for Thwackey to drum it. And we thought that Grookey going to be release, thankfully they didn't do that trolling segment like they did with Raboot. Sorry for very late from my thought, but is better late than never.

Overall rating: C+

Says a lot about Goh's aptitude as a trainer, Goh's Grookey, and Journeys in general that a random wild Thwackey got more development in this one episode than Grookey has gotten in over 40. (I'm pretty sure someone might have already stated this.) At least Sirfetch'd made an appearance though (I think I was happier about that than anything else.)

Says a lot about Goh's aptitude as a trainer, Goh's Grookey, and Journeys in general that a random wild Thwackey got more development in this one episode than Grookey has gotten in over 40. (I'm pretty sure someone might have already stated this.) At least Sirfetch'd made an appearance though (I think I was happier about that than anything else.)
Speaking of Sirfetch’d appearing, says a lot about all of the above that Ash had been as helpful towards the situation in what you’d think would have been a Grooke/Go episode. Really reopens old wounds of how they should have given Grookey to Ash in the first place. It would’ve been in much more capable hands that way.

It's just that for the last 3 Generations the Grass Starter has been the Least popular of it's Trio in Japan, so they tend to show up later than usual
That's not entirely true though as Rowlet was and is the most popular of the Alolan Starter base forms in Japan (hence Ash having one and in such a significant manner); Rowlet and Decidueye ranked within the top five of Google's Pokémon of the Year poll for Alola as well.

That's not entirely true though as Rowlet was and is the most popular of the Alolan Starter base forms in Japan (hence Ash having one and in such a significant manner); Rowlet and Decidueye ranked within the top five of Google's Pokémon of the Year poll for Alola as well.
Rowlet itself was popular in Japan. Hence why it didn't evolve in the Anime.

But Rowlet's evolutions, not so much in Japan

dc3vkbs-2f85d1c1-9eb1-4b0f-bb69-23498d783f87.png

The Pokemon of the Year poll, had a lot of people from all over the world voting on it. Not only just Japan but it was mostly the West voting on it. And since the West is way bigger than Japan, the Japanese fandom's taste got overshadowed

(plus that poll came along when Gen 7 had already been long over)

Last edited:
My own guess is if Rowlet had evolved it would probably with the idea of a fast evolution from the 'ugly' stage. That might have been why Brionne did not take long to evolve into Primarina.

That would likely be more preferable to the Drizile approach, shall we say.

Rowlet itself was popular in Japan. Hence why it didn't evolve in the Anime.
As I wrote.
But Rowlet's evolutions, not so much in Japan
Looking at the poll you're referencing, all three of the Starter families have an evolutionary member within the top 10, but Rowlet is number one. Disregarding two members of the Litten family, whose vote was split upon, Rowlet is higher than Primarina and thus the Popplio-line representative. Based on this sole evolutionary member representation and where each ranked, objectively, this means the Grass Starter family is more popular than the Water Starter family in Japan, making your initial claim incorrect. Individually evaluating all three stages of a Starters evolutionary line and summating them feels pedantic to me as no Starter line has ever had all three members equally loved and highly popular; and in this case, most Japanese people picked Rowlet, and subsequently its Starter line, regardless in their games.
View attachment 157106

The Pokemon of the Year poll, had a lot of people from all over the world voting on it. Not only just Japan but it was mostly the West voting on it. And since the West is way bigger than Japan, the Japanese fandom's taste got overshadowed
And even then, their taste in Rowlet would have been more popular than Popplio's entire evolutionary line. Which cycles back to my entire point that it isn't the least favored member of its trio in Japan.

As I wrote.

Looking at the poll you're referencing, all three of the Starter families have an evolutionary member within the top 10, but Rowlet is number one. Disregarding two members of the Litten family, whose vote was split upon, Rowlet is higher than Primarina and thus the Popplio-line representative. Based on this sole evolutionary member representation and where each ranked, objectively, this means the Grass Starter family is more popular than the Water Starter family in Japan, making your initial claim incorrect. Individually evaluating all three stages of a Starters evolutionary line and summating them feels pedantic to me as no Starter line has ever had all three members equally loved and highly popular; and in this case, most Japanese people picked Rowlet, and subsequently its Starter line, regardless in their games.

And even then, their taste in Rowlet would have been more popular than Popplio's entire evolutionary line. Which cycles back to my entire point that it isn't the least favored member of its trio in Japan.
Fair enough.

Perhaps I should've said, the EVOLUTIONS of each Grass Starter since Gen 6 has been the least popular of it's group, which is why they're usually the last to be introduced in the series so late

Fair enough.

Perhaps I should've said, the EVOLUTIONS of each Grass Starter since Gen 6 has been the least popular of it's group, which is why they're usually the last to be introduced in the series so late
Yeah, it's been that way now since XYZ with Quilladin (although to be fair I don't care much for Quilladin either.)

So seeing the episode...yeah Thwackey was solid. His popularity was more than just Grookey spite, but that did add to it

Reading this thread Im pretty convinced they could've done anything with Grookey in this episode and it wouldn't convince people to not despise the thing LOL
They had 40+ eps to make us like this demon. If they threw it away and didn't bother making the monkey likable, that's squarely on them.

Cry all you want, you brought this to yourself, writers.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom