• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN102: Trial Mission! A Freezing Raid Battle!!

I was excited for this episode when finding out that Indeedee and Sirfetch were going to appear, since Galar Pokemon need some desperate screentime.

I was disappointed that they only appeared briefly and were immediately taken down by Articuno. And of course, Lucario, Pikachu, and Gardevior (a Pokemon that has had it's fair share of appearances in the past) did most of the main battling.

I'm starting to think the writers really dislike Galar Pokemon except for Cinderace.

On a positive note, I was happy to see Thyphlosion, Bayleef, Gary's Arcanine again.

I'm starting to think the writers really dislike Galar Pokemon except for Cinderace.
You know I'd agree with that if not for the fact Sirfetch'd and Dracovish are getting a 2-Parter next week, if the writers didn't go out of their way to rush to get Inteleon on the cast, and if they didn't seem to be so particularly fond of Grookey

But that's just me

Like yeah they really did screw over most of Galar but thinking about it for a minute, they do seem fond of some more than others :unsure:

Inteleon had a pretty good role in this episode, I like how it led them to Articuno's lair.
At first I was wondering why it wasn't apart of the Raid Battle but after seeing what happened to all the others.... Lol Nevermind :wynaut:

But yeah I liked his role. It was a short moment but proved useful and we got to see another one of Inteleon's "Hidden Capabilities" that was mentioned in its Dex entries

Last edited:
A quick addition to my previous post: As much as I love the Ralts evolution line (Gallade is one of my favorites). I felt like this could've been an opportunity to introduce Hatterene if they wanted to give Tokio a Psychic/Fairy type support Pokemon.

We have yet to see Hatterene or it's pre-evolved forms in the anime.

A quick addition to my previous post: As much as I love the Ralts evolution line (Gallade is one of my favorites). I felt like this could've been an opportunity to introduce Hatterene if they wanted to give Tokio a Psychic/Fairy type support Pokemon.

We have yet to see Hatterene or it's pre-evolved forms in the anime.

You'd think Hatterene would've been a Pokemon to appear by now

I was honestly hoping she would appear when Inteleon was still Sobble so we could see how she'd react to Sobble's tears affecting her

Since Marnie appeared with Grimmsnarl I'm guessing they might be saving Hatterene for Bede?

I was happy to see it too. Unfortunately, it was only about ten seconds of it doing absolutely nothing.

Yeah the evolved forms of the Johto starters have been lacking representation in the anime since their debut in gen 2. I'm happy we got to see Meganium earlier this series, and Bayleef in this recent episode. Hopefully we get to see more of Quilava/Thyplosion and Feraligatr sometime.

Yeah but either way I prefer this route. Legends should be tough to take down and this ep proved it. Also anyone like we saw Seafoam Island in the anime properly for the first time? The original season glossed over it
Yep, first proper appearance of the Seafoam Islands in the anime. There was a Seafoam Island beach resort in a OG episode, but the Seafoam Islands themselves weren't even mentioned until the AG episode The Scheme Team, and that was in passing in the episode that introduced the Battle Frontier concept.

• I was wondering if the maze was part of the test, given that teamwork was the secret objective of the raid battle being assessed.
  • Why didn't Ash and Goh bring out Dragonite and Flygon to navigate the maze from the sky? I get that they would be the worst choices for the Articuno raid battle (then again, Tokio put Bayleaf in despite the type disadvantage), but they should have realised the aerial advantage
  • Why didn't Goh try to catch the Geodude?
  • Tokio returning was a fun surprise, and Ash being caught up on his and Goh's history from Time After Time was a good reminder Ash was entirely absent for an episode as well as that Goh has things outside of Ash. Bringing back characters of the days and in recurring roles is a good way to build up continuity.
  • As others have said, it's a relief to see Goh finally be confronted with a character flaw that's a detriment to his goal. It means there's a more of a case against him being a Mary Sue and gives him a secondary goal. Gary being more abrasive without being as rude as his Indigo League characterisation is a bonus. He's going to make Goh earn his respect.

• Why didn't Ash and Goh bring out Dragonite and Flygon to navigate the maze from the sky? I get that they would be the worst choices for the Articuno raid battle (then again, Tokio put Bayleaf in despite the type disadvantage), but they should have realised the aerial advantage
I think I can answer this one.

The entrance to the cave is a pretty small hole. Ash and Goh themselves even seemed a bit skeptical when Inteleon pointed to it.

They probably wouldn't have seen it from the Sky

Even Satoshi is tired of them.
Screenshot_20220404-002939_1.jpg
Screenshot_20220404-002957_1.jpg
Screenshot_20220404-003104_1.jpg

This episode wasn't too bad, glad to see Articuno being treated as a proper Legendary Pokemon in the anime who beats the literal s***t out of you if you're not careful. Also glad to see a Gardevoir again as well as Bayleef, always happy to see some of my favorite Pokemon. Not to mention Gary's Arcanine and Umbreon again after so many years.

1649359192010.png

Happened upon this on Twitter, and let me just say: this. THIS IS WHY I CAN'T STAND THIS KID! It's one of multiple reasons, actually, but this is a big one. Like, it's one thing to be confident, which is good, but it's another to be overconfident bordering on delusional, which is what I'm starting to think Goh is. (Overconfident people are extremely annoying to me, it's one of the reasons why I didn't care much for Dawn.) Does this kid even realize that most of his "skill" hinges completely on luck? Or as this episode showed, getting other people to do the work in weakening a Pokemon for him?

I watched this episode yesterday, and I really liked to see articuno being overpowered again. Its a legendary, so it should be really strong. In the second movie, the birds were a big challenge even for Lugia, and even managed to take him down. Box legendaries arent portrayed as being beatable by ordinary pokemon in the anime, the closer one was kyogre in SM , but it was poisoned, so it was somewhat excusable.

Someone said that Noland chose the wrong articuno to befriend. But he didnt actually CHOSE that articuno. He befriended it because it was wonded, and it was wonded likely because it is weaker than others of its species.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom