• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN102: Trial Mission! A Freezing Raid Battle!!

This was a pretty intense raid battle. Twelve Pokemon were used and they still managed to barely scratch Freezer (with the first wave all being knocked out immediately).

Go went on a catching spree for the first time in a while. The show also seemed to suddenly remember that the Poke Balls call out "Good/Great/Excellent".

I couldn't understand what was being said but I got the sense Go failed this mission (we didn't see him getting tokens and them seemed downbeat). If that's true he's sure got some work to do if he's going to earn his chaser spot.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Megumi Hayashibara: Aceburn
Yuichi Nakamura: Professor Sakuragi
Satomi Koorogi: Blacky
Shinichiro Miki: Negigaknight
Daisuke Namikawa: Lucario
Kei Shindo: Sirknight
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Hihidaruma
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Shogo Sakata: Inteleon
Yuko Kobayashi: Shigeru
Hiroshi Kamiya: Tsurugi
Ryoko Shiraishi : Asahi
Ayahi Takagaki: Tokio
Sayaka Senbongi: Kikuna
Noriaki Kanze: Renji
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

My mistake. I thought it was only the other two that got them, plus with how Go seemed unhappy afterwards.
Knowing Goh, he was probably upset at not being able to catch Articuno

The trouble with Ash’s Pokémon barely appearing is I get most excited about their appearances and disappointed when they aren’t much of anything- even when they were never meant to be the point of the episode…

Sirfetch’d disrespect aside… it was alright - probably the best raid battle we’ve seen in the anime.

When it comes to disrespecting Pokemon I think the award has to go to Bakphoon. This was the first time one has appeared in the series in years (I think the last time it appeared was in Hoenn) and all it did was sit miserably behind its trainer.

When it comes to disrespecting Pokemon I think the award has to go to Bakphoon. This was the first time one has appeared in the series in years (I think the last time it appeared was in Hoenn) and all it did was sit miserably behind its trainer.
This is what happens when your series tries to feature every single Pokémon... which let's be honest, this series immediately failed when Gen 9 walked up to it's house, knocked on the door and said "Allow me... to introduce myself."

My mistake. I thought it was only the other two that got them, plus with how Go seemed unhappy afterwards.
All of them got tokens for clearing the mission, but Gary and Tokio received extra tokens due to their exceptional performance during the raid battle (Gary for his leadership, and Tokio for his teamplay).

youch, that was one incredibly tough Articuno. RIP Tyranitar, you had a good run of about two seconds :cry:

I'll likely come back here later in the day once I've watched the episode again, but the battle itself was very intense. It was pretty interesting seeing Tokio filling a support/healer role, since I don't think we've seen much of that in any of the previous raid battles before this one.

I also liked the environments in this episode, it was nice to finally see Seafoam Islands after all this time!

What an intense battle episode going after the third and final of the legendary birds despite a bit rush. Unfortunately, the plan didn't goes well as Goh didn't follow introduction from Gary that ultimate cost them. Hopefully, Goh can learn from mistaken in the next upcoming research mission in future.

Overall rating: B+

Remember how some people feared Go capturing Articuno? Lol, I knew that wasn't going to happen, legendaries are back to being portrayed as having God like power unlike how weak the Zapdos and Suicune were earlier in the series.

Overall the episode was good for what it was. Gary got some attacks in and nice teamwork and the characters failed for the most part. Articuno wrecked them all. Only negative thing about the episode was Gary's Tyranitar was introduced to do nothing but what can you do. Hopefully it gets a battle later on.

This was a decent episode.
I like how not only is Horace reintroduced, but also shown to be a Project Mew member and he also plays a support role (a role you usually NEVER see trainers take up, even in multiple trainer battles) . Also this episode grants us one of the best raid battles ever seen in the anime.
The only real gripe I have is the first Pokemon involved in the battle. I get that it's supposed to show Articuno's power, but don't you think all of them being knocked out in 30 seconds and in one hit is a bit too fast?

In any case, this episode is a decent Project Mew episode....but the true gem is that Goh returned Grookey into his Pokeball so he wouldn't cause any shenanigans. I would give the episode a 10/10 for this alone, but I'll hold back my hate for a while and give this episode it's true ranking: a 7/10.

Best part of the episode was seeing Typhlosion in the main anime for the first time in nearly 20 years
This was an underwhelming episode. I like how they portrayed Articuno as unbeatable but with Pikachu plus support they really should have beaten it. I like Goh failing but this feels like this episode is a waste of time.

Lmfao these maniacs didn’t give Gary a Tyranitar just to have it go down in two seconds.

The raid battle was good for what it was, though I don’t like how much hype was built into pokemon that did… nothing.

I like to think they didn't just debut Gary having Tyranitar for a 5 second appearance, hopefully it gets used when Gary appears next time. Given they seem to be cycling through his pokemon since neither Blastoise nor Electrivire appeared this time. It seems likely.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom