• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN102: Trial Mission! A Freezing Raid Battle!!

I know that I wished that the writers would make Gou be crushed in this Raid....

But it was so overdone by making Freezer a beast that they could barely scratch while brutally curbstomping everyone.

While still refusing to make Gou, technically, fail; he got tokens even after giving such an attitude, he should have received nothing.
Some people are already blaming him for such disastrous outcome.

I feel bad for the first Pokemon, they got thrashed.

Shigeru came up with a good plan, while Tokio focused on supporting the team.
I am relieved that Satoshi didn't end up being the designated fall-guy.

It was a nice episode, however, better than what I was expecting.
The writers should have made Gou utterly fail, but it seems that they are still not allowed to make him end empty-handed.

I really think the writers acknowledged the flaws of how Zapdos and Suicune were written earlier this series. Zapdos was knocked out by Raboot for example, but now Moltres and Articuno are back to being portrayed how legends should be. Legends are now powerhouses again as it should be.

Honestly makes me wish Project Mew started earlier because the Hoenn legends would have obliterated the cast.

I really think the writers acknowledged the flaws of how Zapdos and Suicune were written earlier this series.
I don't think those depictions were inherently "wrong". Suicune was badly hurt and low on stamina, while Zapdos was charging up at the Power Plant, indicating that it was low on power too. Plus, Raid Battle opponents are tougher than normal Pokémon of the same species.

I have to say, the Gary/Go dynamic is really great. I like that they manage to keep the semi antagonistic rival dynamic without sacrificing Gary’s character growth, and it shows us the ways Go isn’t a fully developed trainer yet.

Ash’s reactions to their interactions are perfect too lmao

I know that I wished that the writers would make Gou be crushed in this Raid....

But it was so overdone by making Freezer a beast that they could barely scratch while brutally curbstomping everyone.

While still refusing to make Gou, technically, fail; he got tokens even after giving such an attitude, he should have received nothing.

I feel bad for the first Pokemon, they got thrashed.

Shigeru came up with a good plan, while Tokio focused on supporting the team.
I am relieved that Satoshi didn't end up being the designated fall-guy.

It was a nice episode, however, better than what I was expecting.
The writers should have made Gou utterly fail, but it seems that they are still not allowed to make him end empty-handed.
Not got a chance to see it myself, but I'm hearing scattered bits. Did he get less tokens than the other two?

That could be seen as a punishment....

Huh, I wonder if this is one of those moments where a main character (Ash, May, Dawn) get a bit too confident and blow up in their faces. Though given Ash tends to get thrashed by an E4 and the coordinators lose a contest when that happens....yeah the token count didn't help. Fewer tokens works I guess, and I'd guess that the mission is a bit more forgiving than going after a Kingdra or something.

I'm not sure how to feel.

First off, there really was no need for another pointless catching spree. I thought the writers were past that. Its been a very long time since they did that and it was so unnecessary.

For the mission though, Gary and Tokio were nice. Gary's presence as an antagonist to Goh is amusing. I love him teasing Goh. Secondly, I like that Tokio took on a support role. It seemed right for him. And Ash at least wasn't exactly a fall guy, but I'm not happy they of course have Sirfetch'd do the worst. They all struggled and part of it was ACTUALLY Goh's fault. Finally an actual flaw on display. His inability to work in a team on display was actually great. Just finally. And thankfully he didn't catch Articuno.

It seems the mission was mostly learning about Articuno AND showing how well you work as a team. It seems this is technically the first major failure for Goh, which is great, but I don't think he should have gotten any tokens. He still got less than what Gary and Tokio got, so its technically a failure for him, but it still feels like he was given a consolation prize despite his behavior and poor teamwork. He really should have had a failure like this A LOT sooner though.

Overall I'd probably say a 6/10

Last edited:
My favorite part of the episode was Go incorrectly correcting Gary that Articuno was preparing Blizzard instead of Sheer Cold, and then Pikachu and Arcanine getting one-shot partly due to that misinformation. That’s not something we see in battles, so it was refreshing while also highlighting the experience gap between Gary and Go.

My favorite part of the episode was Go incorrectly correcting Gary that Articuno was preparing Blizzard instead of Sheer Cold, and then Pikachu and Arcanine getting one-shot partly due to that misinformation. That’s not something we see in battles, so it was refreshing while also highlighting the experience gap between Gary and Go.
It’s an interesting aspect of wild pokemon battling they could stand to approach more. Trainer battles give you the benefit of hearing the opponent’s commands, but silent wind ups that look alike may change everything.

As a side note, I really enjoy how Ash is completely unfazed by Gary’s attitude after dealing with him for so long. As soon as Gary started that whole “we are not friends” speech, Ash was the first to brush him off without getting frustrated.

Good to know that if MewLover151 joins the lobby it's time to find a new lobby, because he will just run in ahead of everyone and get the entire party wiped
Its legit one thing I actually like here. Seeing an ACTUAL flaw of Goh's that does have an impact on the story.

Just watched the episode with Subtitles and good ARCEUS

Lucario and Cinderace got taken out by a Blizzard lmao

The only ones who actually have the excuse of being taken out by Sheer Cold are Pikachu, Umbreon and Arcanine

How the hell did everyone else get knocked out cold (no pun intended) by a basic Blizzard?

Glad legendaries are being treated with respect after Zapdos and Suicune now. You shouldn't be able to solo them and they can one/two shot your pokemon. This battle was better than Moltres' imo, more strategy and drama throughout. I would've liked Tyranitar and Sirfetchd to do more but it's not a big deal

Gary was the GOAT this episode again. Love how he's alwaying prying into Goh and causing him to reflect. Hope we can see him and Tokio again in the next one. Goh's finally being challenged, both in battle and ideology

• So starting off the episode frames the missions the same way that WCS series battles are framed. I wonder how much the audiences, even in Japan, equate the two? We certainly don't treat the two as equal.
  • Goh can choose his missions, so makes me wonder what missions he declined to choose Articuno while being so bummed? Must have been really social events.
  • Given the Articuno bits here....yeah seriously what did Goh have as his other options that he went with this one?
  • You know Goh, that interrupting Ash pre-thunderbolt was a bit rude. Foreshadowing?
  • You know, without knowing or seeing ranks compared to Goh's....how far is he from his goal? Like how many points does Gary have? How many other people are competing? With badges or WCS ranks we have that info but Goh doesn't have that.
  • Honestly hitting that rock spike was the most useful think Grookey's done in ages, if ever.
  • That ball voice is so random and honestly not sure why it exists in universe.
  • So Tokio/Horace is doing a Psychic type run. It does explain his team comp. This should be used in future/remembered.
  • So very much unlike that um.....rabbit Horace/Tokio I may or may not be sadly familiar with....
  • Goh sounds like he's choking when Gary shows up.
  • Wait wait....Project Mew has a mon total limit. Just....just why?! I mean if it is entirely for a test but it just seems so...soo....soooo....Also has that monitoring drone always been a thing?
  • I don't like raid battles in the anime...
  • Oh hey Triple Axel!
  • I wonder if Goh's idea was that Boldore has Sturdy....wait that still doesn't make any sense....
  • You know, does Ash ever got points? He helps Goh out enough....
  • 'Think About That Yourself'. Honestly the message of this episode when it comes to Goh's consequences would hit harder if the point difference was bigger, even if Gary and Horace-Tokio got more than one extra for it.
  • Gary...are those words about Goh or himself as a trainer
  • Grookey, Inteleon, Cinderace, Caterpie, Boldore, Darmanitan, Golbat, Graveler, Cloyster.....and not a red locked ball or teleporting to be found

Well, this was an interesting episode. The raid battle against Articuno was cool, even if it does makes Zapdos' portrayal look even worse in hindsight. Gary continues to be great and I kinda love how he keeps annoying Goh and literally only Goh XD

Additionally, the strategies used against Articuno were great, especially Horace playing support with Gardevoir, Gary attempting to give the team an edge with Umbreon's Confuse Ray (even if it did fail), and Arcanine and Cinderace combining Fire-type attacks for maximum damage. I did have some problems with the raid battle though: firstly, Gary uses a Tyranitar (a Pokemon that he'd never been seen using before) while Horace uses an Indeedee in what is the species' debut battle... only for both Pokemon to get instantly taken out without getting to do anything. Really disappointing.

On a final note, I find it hilariously ironic that the last Pokemon to go down was Bayleef despite it being by far the most ill-equiped to face an Articuno of all the mons used in the raid. Anime Inverse Battle strikes again.

It seems the mission was mostly learning about Articuno AND showing how well you work as a team. It seems this is technically the first major failure for Goh, which is great, but I don't think he should have gotten any tokens. He still got less than what Gary and Tokio got, so its technically a failure for him, but it still feels like he was given a consolation prize despite his behavior and poor teamwork. He really should have had a failure like this A LOT sooner though.
Regardless of how bad Gou's teamwork was, he still contributed to the raid battle, so he definitely deserves to get some tokens out of it. Compare him to all those random challengers who couldn't even reach Articuno because a maze with some Geodude in it was enough to steer them away.

You know, does Ash ever got points? He helps Goh out enough....
Nope, since he is not applying.

But I wonder why are they still letting him tag along.

'Think About That Yourself'. Honestly the message of this episode when it comes to Goh's consequences would hit harder if the point difference was bigger, even if Gary and Horace-Tokio got more than one extra for it.
Gou shouldn't have got any Tokens, due to his selfishness and ornery demeanor.

Alas, the staff is obligated to give him something.

I liked the detail of Arcanine using Flamethrower to protect itself from the Blizzard, since the wind blew the fire back on it and kept it warm while everyone else was sent flying, and it was the only one to survive, only to then sacrifice itself for Bayleef who promptly lost anyway (but hey, points for trying!)

I wonder if that means Gary's arcanine has Flash Fire rather than Intimidate, since Articuno didn't seen particularly phased by it (never mind that Abilities haven't existed since Diamond & Pearl)

Nope, since he is not applying.

But I wonder why are they still letting him tag along.

Gou shouldn't have got any Tokens, due to his selfishness and ornery demeanor.

Alas, the staff is obligated to give him something.

The writers basically did a Kanto Ash 2.0 and gave Goh a Pity Token.

The difference is, Brock and Misty call Ash out on that, while you can bet that no one from JN will tell Goh otherwise.

I know I will now never understand those who try to power-scale the series after this. I mean, Jesus. Clearly, Noland picked the wrong Articuno to befriend to battle Ash. Even without Sheer Cold, that was ridiculous.

From a story standing, a good Journeys episode! Quite nice seeing Goh learn something, and I was spectacle about Horace’s contribution in this series, but after this, the dynamic between him and Gary can be extremely useful when laying out Goh as a Challenger, of who he is and why he’s got the best of both worlds in comparison. One side has the harsh reality, the other the purest element of it. What is Goh’s side of the spectrum? Exciting to know Goh will actually be getting insight.

Of course Sirfetch’d gets the wrong end of the stick, again, but at least it’s getting redemption later down the road.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom