• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review JN103: Satoshi and Citron! Great Friendship Training!!

Sai

Reaction score
She's literally in the next episode, people. This debate is pointless

JinksChow

Reaction score
She's literally in the next episode, people. This debate is pointless

Are we going off the tweet in the other thread? Because while I would like to see Serena return, that's not yet an official confirmation.

Edit: With the most recent development, I am now more inclined to believe that the original tweet was legitimate. Now all that's left is the official magazine scan...

Basically Dogasu was right, moving on

I feel like, if anything, this proves Alola and me right. That the writers made the active decision to hold Serena back from the flashback in JN103, in order to hype up her eventual return. (Whether it be in the upcoming episode, or for a future unannounced episode)

Last edited:

Sai

Reaction score
Pretty sure the flashback either way was to reference how Bonnie/Clemont were the first two companions Ash met in Kalos. Remember he met them in the first few eps before Serena joined

Burakku

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Pretty sure the flashback either way was to reference how Bonnie/Clemont were the first two companions Ash met in Kalos. Remember he met them in the first few eps before Serena joined
Chespin and Dedenne were in the flashback and they were only caught in the show until after Serena was introduced though.

Sai

Reaction score
Chespin and Dedenne were in the flashback and they were only caught in the show until after Serena was introduced though.
I mean I'm sure the writers can overlook that to show them with their pokemon.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I think Clemont and Bonnie were the only ones in the flashback because they were the ones Ash was going to meet in this episode.

nickdt

Reaction score
So... with Serena coming back (Apparently), i think they are holding Misty for last (Since it would be weird to have Brock return, but not her).

Inb4 Misty is in the Masters Eight.

Islander Princess

My Little Ponyta
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching this episode (we've reached the point of a series where I only watch subs for returning characters or plots that I find extremely interesting) and I was kind of underwhelmed, sadly. It was great to see Clemont and Bonnie again, and Bonnie was so cute watching Goh try to catch Froakie! Plus it was nice to see Clemont shift into his inventive mode again since it's been so long. But the training/battle felt really rushed and only half thought out, so that was kind of lame. It also felt weird to me that Clembot was such an afterthought? Ash didn't even greet it and they had that whole emotional ending with it during XY. That was the least of what they could've done. Even Bonnie's interactions with Ash felt really hollow and pretty subdued. I'm always fond of episodes that feature returning characters, so this one is no exception, but the writers really skimped in terms of emotion and impact on this one.

Bonus points for them not allowing Chespin to hog screen time, though. That was a legitimate concern, especially since they could've paired it up with Grookey for the ultimate insufferable, time wasting duo.

Sai

Reaction score
It was subtle but really liked the way Bonnie matured here, she seemed older than in XY at least maturity wise. The way she patiently watched Go get Froakie instead of laughing at him, and remember how early XY Bonnie loved to hug pokemon but she stood by waiting for Go to get it instead of getting in his way.

During the Gym she had the same cute moments she was known for like finding a "scary" dragon pokemon like Dracovish cute and tickling it, and then hanging upside down from its neck. Also imitating the flag thrusts with her arms during Ash's training. Then of course the marriage gag but even then she felt more reserved.

I don't know if it was intentional or not but it really felt like Bonnie had grown a bit.