• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN105: Eievui and Nymphia! Encounters and Reunions!!

It was really nice to see Serena again, although it really irked me how Satoshi just ran past her without initially noticing she was there. Having said that, I'd expected the two to miss each other completely (Serena walking off just as Satoshi returns) so having them actually get to catch up was a surprise.

Given the actual focus of the story, I’m quite happy they gave Serena and Ash at least a scene together without distracting from Koharu. Felt better that way.

Having said that, an enjoyable episode with some nice visuals, and from what I understood it was another message to focus on what Eevee has and build from there, which was nicely linked with Serena’s choice to adapt off Sylveon’s style of being a dancer.
Speaking of which, I don’t exactly think a lot of the returning characters have made that much of an impact (developing themes, or their own character) outside of Gary, and maybe Dawn, but Serena’s return was nice. It shows she’s grown quite a bit when she can draw against such a popular figure in Hoenn, and the fact she can mentor a compete rookie, like Koharu.

Also, I don’t remember Wallace being like that, but I wish he was always that way. Something about him being forgotten by Ash and being envious of Steven is quite funny, and reminds me of Harley from the Advanced Saga. Kind of makes me think every Coordinator from Hoenn is genuinely crazy.

So yeah, Chloe episode with Serena getting the Kenny treatment at the end

You could have given Serena's entire role in this episode to Lisia and it wouldn't change a thing

Regarding the whole ribbon situation, Serena still has it with her, it's just that you need a very keen eye to spot it.

When Serena rises out of the stage for her performance, you can see that she has a blue ribbon tied to her left ankle.

Edit: Ah, so it's actually a blue bead anklet.

Last edited:
Regarding the whole ribbon situation, Serena still has it with her, it's just that you need a very keen eye to spot it.

When Serena rises out of the stage for her performance, you can see that she has a blue ribbon tied to her left ankle.
That's not the ribbon

Going to enjoy the sub part but I'm curious to see the exact bits and bobs to it. Also I expect that the Serena and Ash bit at the end has a values dissonance in it where Japan's 'more subtle' preference for words causes us poor Western fans to freak out and think it isn't important but then someone (like, IDK, @Dogasu can translate how that is actually a giant romantic flag to the Japanese that we don't catch because romance to us is kisses and hugs and stuff

This was a really great episode...but it really should have aired next week. Not airing the Rocket-Dan episode on the Rocket-Dan's actual 25th anniversary is all sorts of wrong.

It also would've helped break up the back-to-back Mega Tyltalis appearances that we now have because of the episode reshuffling. It also would've given the show an extra week to hype up the return of one of the series' most beloved characters.

Mikuri and Satoshi were the best parts to me.

Last edited:
I waited for return of Contests in Anime over a decade and gotta extremely meh version of it... :(
Overall not bad episode, but definitely not what I waited for over a decade.
It's showcases in all but name. It is no coincidence that we never saw Dawn enter a "contest" this series.

(Nevermind the fact that this is closer to in-game contests now.)

You know, I won't lie...I'd have loved a battle like what I've seen of Ash's Wallace bit earlier. Like, seriously, if Ash had small battles during Goh episodes for the WCS, we'd probably complain about Goh less.

Lots to say about this episode, firstly how much this changes how we perceive previews… Serena didn’t appear in the opening nor the preview and (besides leaks) they only revealed she was in the episode yesterday - it kind of feels like the possibilities are endless now, they actually will keep things out of the previews for a surprise.

I think Serena’s new outfit is pretty nice, makes her look quite mature. Incredible to see her whole team together - newly evolved Delphox included and each with a new move. Her performance was great (there’s a key word there)

It’s good that Serena and Vhloe got most the attention while Lisa and Wallace were smaller parts - kinda wild that we’ve seen two Mega Altaria’s belong to two different Gen 6 characters debuting in Journey’s in as many episodes. And Goh catching one - surely he was keen to chase it down having Drasna’s Altaria is fresh in his mind? Was that mentioned.

I like how Some of these old character returns go, Chuck didn’t recognise Ash at first, Drake nor Ash recognised each other at first and now Ash didn’t immediately recognise Wallace - these are sort of the only real indication that time passes in the show. I do appreciate Wallace mentioning he used to be the Champion but now Steven is (I know we know that already, but it is just great to see it acknowledged that there was a swap over – I don’t know exactly what was said though) Kinda would have liked to see more of the battle, but I kind of like how this series now just portrays Ash battling as “yeah of course he can beat a former Champion, nothing to see here”

Flashbacks galore in this episode and I’m so happy to see both Dawn and May mentioned by Wallace - so nostalgic to be thinking about XY which I was watching at university and the Wallace Cup in DP which I can remember watching in school. Made me very happy!

Now, there can be noting more Journeys than an episode flaunting some of the most past series continuity an episode has ever had - at the same time as completely ignoring continuity to bring something more online with how they are portrayed in the games. This Pokémon ‘contest’ was just a Preformance in anime terms, that’s a little disappointing - Serena’s performance here was probable better than any of them from XY (they made more use of space, it certainly lived up a bit better to appeal rounds from DP) and, yeah - I suppose you could headcanon it that the battle round took place off screen but Serena using three Pokémon while everyone else just used one… makes me think they. It is a little lame they are sweeping it all under the carpet.

Again, I didn’t have subtitles, but it sounded like Ash was telling Serena to watch him in the PWC or something- I’m sure she’ll get another appearance or two.

Lots to say about this episode, firstly how much this changes how we perceive previews… Serena didn’t appear in the opening nor the preview and (besides leaks) they only revealed she was in the episode yesterday - it kind of feels like the possibilities are endless now, they actually will keep things out of the previews for a surprise.

I think Serena’s new outfit is pretty nice, makes her look quite mature. Incredible to see her whole team together - newly evolved Delphox included and each with a new move. Her performance was great (there’s a key word there)

It’s good that Serena and Vhloe got most the attention while Lisa and Wallace were smaller parts - kinda wild that we’ve seen two Mega Altaria’s belong to two different Gen 6 characters debuting in Journey’s in as many episodes. And Goh catching one - surely he was keen to chase it down having Drasna’s Altaria is fresh in his mind? Was that mentioned.

I like how Some of these old character returns go, Chuck didn’t recognise Ash at first, Drake nor Ash recognised each other at first and now Ash didn’t immediately recognise Wallace - these are sort of the only real indication that time passes in the show. I do appreciate Wallace mentioning he used to be the Champion but now Steven is (I know we know that already, but it is just great to see it acknowledged that there was a swap over – I don’t know exactly what was said though) Kinda would have liked to see more of the battle, but I kind of like how this series now just portrays Ash battling as “yeah of course he can beat a former Champion, nothing to see here”

Flashbacks galore in this episode and I’m so happy to see both Dawn and May mentioned by Wallace - so nostalgic to be thinking about XY which I was watching at university and the Wallace Cup in DP which I can remember watching in school. Made me very happy!

Now, there can be noting more Journeys than an episode flaunting some of the most past series continuity an episode has ever had - at the same time as completely ignoring continuity to bring something more online with how they are portrayed in the games. This Pokémon ‘contest’ was just a Preformance in anime terms, that’s a little disappointing - Serena’s performance here was probable better than any of them from XY (they made more use of space, it certainly lived up a bit better to appeal rounds from DP) and, yeah - I suppose you could headcanon it that the battle round took place off screen but Serena using three Pokémon while everyone else just used one… makes me think they. It is a little lame they are sweeping it all under the carpet.

Again, I didn’t have subtitles, but it sounded like Ash was telling Serena to watch him in the PWC or something- I’m sure she’ll get another appearance or two.
Ash just said that he's aiming to become the strongest trainer, and Serena said that she's aiming to become the best performer, that's it

They should have given us a episode focused on Chloe, Serena and the contest and then had a Wallace Ash battle in a different episode
Absolutely. This was their chance to bring back some of the old Performer girls from XY and they didn't do it because we saw almost none of the other Coordinators because they kept cutting away to Ash's battle. People who wanted a battle got snippets of a battle littered with contest and people who wanted a contest got a glorified showcase broken up by battle scenes. What they should have done was Team Rocket episode this week to mark the anniversary, Contest episode next week and Ash vs. Wallace the week after that still in Lilycove City.

I haven't had the chance to actually watch it yet, but I skimmed through it to see if any of the old girls like Concetta and Sara Lee showed up. I didn't expect them to, but I can't say I'm not disappointed that they didn't. I'm hoping when the subs come out that the rest of the episode will be good enough to make up for their absence, but trying to cram a battle and a contest into the same episode was an objectively terrible idea.

Back
Top Bottom