• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN105: Eievui and Nymphia! Encounters and Reunions!!

Ash just said that he's aiming to become the strongest trainer, and Serena said that she's aiming to become the best performer, that's it
Ah okay, shouting about goals as Pokémon trainers love to do - still reckon we will see her again though.

I'm giving this episode a B- due to how they've demoted and put Wallace THROUGH THE MUD to a certain degree of disrespect (and NO, it's not the humour. That one's awesomely hilarious to watch); just because he ISN'T Champion of Hoenn anymore but once more a Gym Leader DOES NOT MEAN HE GETS IGNORED INTO OBSCURITY - at least to SOME critical degree (and please, don't get me started with Ash being his usually DENSE towards him). Give the Artiste Water-Type Expert his usual RESPECT DAMMIT!!!

The ending of this episode was intentionally rushed me-guesses as leakers annoyed me to no end to reveal anymore spoilers, especially those annoying-to-no-end Amour-shippers of this type. Yes, I was glad to see Serena again and was hoping that Goh would annoy Ash teasingly if he had noticed already. But for Ash to share that he's in the World Coronation Series should be enough, and perhaps he'd share more to his other companions.

Last edited:
1649429507152.png

This episode is interesting regardless of the lack of interaction between Ash and Serena despite an acknowledgement.

The episode has everything I want to see out of a Journeys episode. Serena returns and is shown to have actually development. She actually seems more mature, especially with her interactions with Ash. It's used to develop Chloe, a hilariously underdeveloped character. The episode has flashbacks and callbacks galore to not just Serena, but Chloe's past developments as well. Chloe and Serena's performances were beautiful. Lisia's brief introductions weren't half bad either, although it does feel odd to have Chloe ready to enter contests just by being present. As for lack of AmourShipping teases, I actually didn't mind that. Just because Serena is back doesn't mean you have to force an AmourShipping moment into the episode, although I like the subtle hints that Serena still has feelings for Ash. I also enjoyed the many subtle references to parts of the games and earlier anime.

However, the writers fell very far for the perfect episode ranking with the Ash Vs Wallace battle and the portrayal of contests. Ash vs. Wallace feels like a waste of time and to be honest it was funny the first one or two times, but it started to get annoying. Also RIP Wallace, your reputation has forever been destroyed from that moment. The bigger issue is the "rebranding"of Contests that were done in this episode. They're now just glorified Showcases (and not even glorified in some categories to begin with!). This isn't a huge issue for me personally since I didn't grow up with DP and AG and thus don't have the nostalgia factor for them, but I can see why people are upset. Besides, if the Contests are just Performances, why not just call them Performances and not destroy the continuity?

Overall, this episode had the potential to be one of the best Journeys Episodes, and it unfortunately didn't succeed in that regard. It's still a good episode, but not a great one.
7/10

Seems that this Contest was called a Contest Live so maybe the lack of a battle round isn’t them removing them from Contests but rather this being a different variation of them. Still doesn’t explain why Serena was allowed to use Pokémon in her appeal while everyone else only used 1 though.

Ash vs. Wallace feels like a waste of time and to be honest it was funny the first one or two times, but it started to get annoying.
I thought it was executed well enough without it taking away from Serena and Chloe's interactions. In fact, keeping Ash occupied with the battle kept him from getting in the way of the girls' time together.
Still doesn’t explain why Serena was allowed to use Pokémon in her appeal while everyone else only used 1 though.
Could be just a choice. The others simply didn't feel like they needed more Pokémon in there appeals.

Seems that this Contest was called a Contest Live so maybe the lack of a battle round isn’t them removing them from Contests but rather this being a different variation of them. Still doesn’t explain why Serena was allowed to use Pokémon in her appeal while everyone else only used 1 though.
Well, Contest Lives are what ORAS's Contest Spectaculars are called in Japanese. And Journeys seems to prioritize accuracy to the most recent (chronologically and/or by release date) game incarnations of the returning regions and characters. Contest Spectaculars completely replaced normal contests in ORAS, so while I don't think this is exactly a retcon (the Wallace Cup still happened, after all), I don't think it's very likely that we'll see the old anime contests in Hoenn again. And I wouldn't be surprised if BDSP's "Super Contest Shows" are the new rave in Sinnoh if Chloe ends up going there later.

The Ash/Wallace stuff was my favorite part of the episode though, although Wallace went down too easily. This is the one thing this series has done well for the most part is utilizing old gym leaders, elite four, champions etc. Chuck being present for Ash vs Bea, the Erika and Leafeon episode, Drake assisting the boys for Go's Project Mew task. This is the sort of world building that I have wanted to see the series tackle since the end of DP.

Seeing Serena again was just so nice. You can really tell that she's grown. She seems a lot more mature. It was so nice to see her and her Pokemon in action again! I didn't catch what she and Ash were saying, but glad there was some interaction. I did enjoy Wallace also and I do like that they acknowledged he was the Hoenn Champion, though that title belongs to Steven. I really hate the changes to contests though. By trying to stick closer to the games, they robbed contests of what made them unique. Doesn't seem like Chloe will really do them after this, but now what? She's seen every Eeveelution. What are they gonna do with her now?

Pretty decent despite the horrible contest change.

I think it's pretty obvious there are different types of Contests now. Do people really believe May and Dawn stopped battling? Of course not

My guess is there's Lisia's contests which is what we saw and the old style Contests with a battle round.

I think it's pretty obvious there are different types of Contests now. Do people really believe May and Dawn stopped battling? Of course not

My guess is there's Lisia's contests which is what we saw and the old style Contests with a battle round.
This Contest was actually based on the Contest Spectaculars in ORAS.

Now we have bland and uninspired Contests, that doesn't have the spark they used to.
What a shame, the time and effort to establish and develop them during AG and DP got trashed.

I would have liked to see more of the battle, Laglarge deserved better.
It should have been a separate episode, the next week would have been great.

Serena was fine, bonding with and mentoring Koharu.
I didn't get all what they talked about, didn't have the time to replay the scenes.

Two controversial takes:
The reencounter at the end wasn't needed, it could have been saved for another episode.
I am going to pretend that Gou didn't catch Tyltalis, I love that Pokemon and seeing it become a prop upsets me.

Now we have bland and uninspired Contests, that doesn't have the spark they used to.
What a shame, the time and effort to establish and develop them during AG and DP got trashed
These are new Contests designed by Lisia, the old ones were around for 2 entire series and this was just 1 episode. They appeals shown here were at the same level as most DP contest appeals too.

We probably aren't going to see another contest in Journey's so I don't see how what the issue is for a one off episode.

Is it just me or was that moment at the end with Serena waving goodbye to Satoshi as she watches the ship disappear in the horizon and the sun setting a little bittersweet? It's like she had to accept that he has new friends now and that their goals in life are very different, perhaps not always compatible with each other.

Reminds me of that moment when Kasumi/Misty sees him battle on TV and smiles but then she is like "oh well, let's get back to work".

The Misty thing is a bit interesting, since May might make a voiceless cameo that way, seeing Ash battle Leon on the telly alongside her family and her Pokemon. And if they aren't in the stadium, all of the old travel companions and some of the rivals might make cameo's that way (Including Cilan and Tracey).

I fully expect at least Delia, Oak, Gary, Misty and Brock (As the OG's) watching in the stadium (And i kinda think Jessie, James and Meowth will be there in disguise as well, cheering Ash on, since they did the same in the past).

Seeing Serena again was just so nice. You can really tell that she's grown. She seems a lot more mature. It was so nice to see her and her Pokemon in action again! I didn't catch what she and Ash were saying, but glad there was some interaction. I did enjoy Wallace also and I do like that they acknowledged he was the Hoenn Champion, though that title belongs to Steven. I really hate the changes to contests though. By trying to stick closer to the games, they robbed contests of what made them unique. Doesn't seem like Chloe will really do them after this, but now what? She's seen every Eeveelution. What are they gonna do with her now?

Pretty decent despite the horrible contest change.
Yeah wondering Chloe end goal is now. Maybe the theory of evee not evolving due to gmax might actually be true

Back
Top Bottom