• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN105: Eievui and Nymphia! Encounters and Reunions!!

The large Ribbon decorating the entrance to the Contest Hall is the exact same given to May after she won the Lilycove Contest all those years ago, so the Pokémon Contest Spectaculars are not a different, separate competition from the old Pokémon Contests. The writers rebooted the way Contests work in the anime, which is a total shame considering how much effort they put into developing them.

It is sad that the Contest Battles were removed, as I liked them better than the Performance Stage, which was also trashed in this episode seeing as how Serena was allowed to use three Pokémon while Lisia and Chloe used one each. In the Diamond & Pearl series, there were Single and Double Performances, but it was not up to the Coordinator to decide how many Pokémon they would display, they had to adhere to the format.

It is worth noticing that there is an episode in the Advanced Generation series where it was established that Pokémon Contests could never end in a tie. If there was a tie at the end of the five minutes, an extra battle would be held to decide the Coordinator who would take home the Ribbon. However, Contest Battles no longer exist, and so Lisia and Serena were both winners here. Lame.

Pokémon Contest episodes were my favorite. I had hopes that they would make a return one day, and I think I could not be more displeased. Honestly, it is no wonder that Dawn never mentioned how the Hoenn Grand Festival was. The Grand Festival probably does not exist anymore. Depressing.

The large Ribbon decorating the entrance to the Contest Hall is the exact same given to May after she won the Lilycove Contest all those years ago, so the Pokémon Contest Spectaculars are not a different, separate competition from the old Pokémon Contests. The writers rebooted the way Contests work in the anime, which is a total shame considering how much effort they put into developing them.

It is sad that the Contest Battles were removed, as I liked them better than the Performance Stage, which was also trashed in this episode seeing as how Serena was allowed to use three Pokémon while Lisia and Chloe used one each. In the Diamond & Pearl series, there were Single and Double Performances, but it was not up to the Coordinator to decide how many Pokémon they would display, they had to adhere to the format.

It is worth noticing that there is an episode in the Advanced Generation series where it was established that Pokémon Contests could never end in a tie. If there was a tie at the end of the five minutes, an extra battle would be held to decide the Coordinator who would take home the Ribbon. However, Contest Battles no longer exist, and so Lisia and Serena were both winners here. Lame.

Pokémon Contest episodes were my favorite. I had hopes that they would make a return one day, and I think I could not be more displeased. Honestly, it is no wonder that Dawn never mentioned how the Hoenn Grand Festival was. The Grand Festival probably does not exist anymore. Depressing.
A lot of conclusion jumping here honestly, nothing in Dawn's cameos indicated she doesn't battle regularly, and it was made obvious with the lack of a ribbon win here these are different venues of Contests even if they're in the same Lilycove city contest hall. Obviously we weren't going to get a battle in this ep with the limited time left so the writers focused on the appeals that both Serena and Lisia's ORAS contests are known for.

Also don't know where you got thqt Grand Festivals don't exist anymore, but whatever. For a one off episode they weren't going to go into details about Contest lore since I doubt Koharu will be in another one so this will probably be it.

Episode was cute. My only actual complaint is that the contest was a bit on the boring side in comparison to the contests from AG and DP and even the showcases.

Final score, B

This was such a sweet episode! We really got a taste of how much Serena has progressed in her absense and I loved how well she bounced off of Chloe.

The music was also fantastic, especially during Chloe’s performance (which was kinda underwhelming, but I suppose that was the point). I also recognized a lot of XY tracks throughout Serena’s scenes as well and they fit so nicely.

I’m rather annoyed as to the reason Ash was kept out of the main plot, but Wallace being so salty about Steven outshining him was far too amusing for me to dwell much there. I wish we could have had a longer battle, but I do like to see Ash’s team fight in episodes where they aren’t the main focus.

For all I feared in regards to Ash and Serena’s reunion, I’m pleasantly surprised by how concise and respectful it is for both of them. No baiting, no drama, just two companions catching up and reaffirming how much they inspire each other.

I’m glad Journeys can score when it’s allowed to.

And Goh catching one - surely he was keen to chase it down having Drasna’s Altaria is fresh in his mind? Was that mentioned.
Turns out, yes. That was exactly why he wanted to catch one.
I’m rather annoyed as to the reason Ash was kept out of the main plot
I feel it was done to keep Ash and Goh from interfering with Serena and Chloe's interactions.
but Wallace being so salty about Steven outshining him was far too amusing for me to dwell much there.
I genuinely smiled when Wallace called him "Champion What's-His-Name".

Thanks to subtitles, I realised that when Koharu wasn’t sure on joining, Serena said this -
“Even if you fail, you’ll be left with something. Nothing you do is ever pointless.”

Okay, Journeys, you get extra brownie-points for that. That is my favourite quote from Ash, and the entire anime, since it just captures the spirit of what their world is about, and genuinely could inspire someone to do something they’re anxious of.

Interestingly when Serena asked Koharu what she thought of Contests, her response was that she and Eevee learned something new about themselves. So while it doesn’t confirm that she’ll take that path, it also doesn’t seem to confirm this as a one-off thing for her. Plus she has a Contest Pass and Pokeblock dispenser so who knows, even if she doesn’t do any more Contests this series, there’s always the possibility that Journeys ends with her starting her own journey to compete in them.

Hahaha Ash and Wallace were hilarious this episode, was not expecting Ash to beat him in a 3v3 but I’ll take it. Wallace was so over the top here and Ash remembering steven instantly instead cracked me up. Also loved the continuity; from little things like the vaporeon trainer telling them about Sylveon, to Goh wanting to catch an Altaria cause Ash just beat one, the constant flashbacks showcasing may/dawn/steven/serena in XY clothes and Serena quoting Ash to motivate Chloe

Serena was amazing this ep, we got to catch up with her, see team changes and got a brief but great reunion with her and Ash. It’s poetic how last time the escalator separated them, but now it’s a ship sailing away. This episode was paced really well imo, it cut out unimportant things (like Goh’s capture, finally they realised you don’t have to show each one) and moved through important events without feeling that rushed imo

Overall great solo ep that uses old characters to develop new ones, brings new characters entirely and even gave Ash something to do. Glad XY is being treated with respect

Hahaha Ash and Wallace were hilarious this episode, was not expecting Ash to beat him in a 3v3 but I’ll take it. Wallace was so over the top here and Ash remembering steven instantly instead cracked me up. Also loved the continuity; from little things like the vaporeon trainer telling them about Sylveon, to Goh wanting to catch an Altaria cause Ash just beat one, the constant flashbacks showcasing may/dawn/steven/serena in XY clothes and Serena quoting Ash to motivate Chloe

Serena was amazing this ep, we got to catch up with her, see team changes and got a brief but great reunion with her and Ash. It’s poetic how last time the escalator separated them, but now it’s a ship sailing away. This episode was paced really well imo, it cut out unimportant things (like Goh’s capture, finally they realised you don’t have to show each one) and moved through important events without feeling that rushed imo

Overall great solo ep that uses old characters to develop new ones, brings new characters entirely and even gave Ash something to do. Glad XY is being treated with respect

Honestly I think XY's been one of the most respected series of all the anime sagas in previous. Honestly the ones that seem to have the main issue with 'spect seem to be Johto and Hoenn, if we discount the filler seasons, and one of those has the big voice actor problem.

Not sure how'd I rate BW's treatment, even if I think it is fair to say Kanto, Sinnoh, Kalos, and Alola are handled better.

I’m rather annoyed as to the reason Ash was kept out of the main plot, but Wallace being so salty about Steven outshining him was far too amusing for me to dwell much there. I wish we could have had a longer battle, but I do like to see Ash’s team fight in episodes where they aren’t the main focus.
Wallace was an absolute gem in this episode lol.

"Oh you forgot me? You forgot me but you didn't forget Steven? I'm not hurt by this. Nope. Totally not hurt at all." (drops Ash Ketchum)

His expressions were also gold.

Four pages of Contests being retconned when they haven’t been retconned, this is why you wait for subs lol

To be fair, this isn't explicit even with subs.

The Contest in this Episode was called Contest Live, so we can't assume is a different kind from previous Contests.

However, this isn't directly explained. It's never mentioned that there are different types of Contests, we only assume this due to the information we have.

Kinda weird how we didn't see who won the non-Master-class contest performances, and then the only two Master-class performers... tied the Master Class performance

There were four Master-class performers at least (and I think one of them was male), but we only see performances of Serena and Lisia.

Is it just me or was that moment at the end with Serena waving goodbye to Satoshi as she watches the ship disappear in the horizon and the sun setting a little bittersweet? It's like she had to accept that he has new friends now and that their goals in life are very different, perhaps not always compatible with each other.

I don't think it's that. Ash has many friends before and after, just like Serena in her journey in Hoenn. The bittersweet is more of the fact they just happen to encounter each other at the very last moment. You can tell that they would love to talk about their past adventures and ask each other of their progress, but the ship cut them short. At best, they can only declare their goals to each other.

It's not about incompatibility but rather how time is fleeting, and you have to make the most of what you have.

Time to start and go....let's see what I think of it.

• The whole 'Eeveelution quest' set up is kind of odd....IDK feels like that cross country (?) trips to see a Sylveon is a bit much. Nothing says there can't be on in Kanto. Honestly this works best with an additional set up to it like the Flower Arrangement Class, but minor nitpick. Meeting up with the boys at least gives it some grounding.
  • So...who does pay for Ash and Goh to fly on non-Cerise job trips? I assume Professor C pays for them to do work trips and school trips with Chloe and I think the WCS pays for Ash's Ultra Class tickets and maybe even that one event in Kalos (heck, maybe Iris paid for Ash's Unova tickets)....but the other trips? Like....sometimes I fanon Ash has a pretty deep bank account he doesn't know he has, so does he pay for it?
  • The Gen 6 Girl Contest Outfits....urrrggghhh. I have never liked them. Ever. Eh, then again we western fans aren't really huge into Idol stuff are we, unless they star zombies.
  • Good luck Goh, Altaria have a low catch rate. Also did you really catch that thing, sort of, in Lilycove or did you chase it into the city?
  • Honestly I could buy that Lisia has some awareness of Chloe showing up and planned it. Stuff like Idols are really regulated like that. IDK, I could see Talia being involved. She seems to be a bit mischievous (MOM!)
  • Also Idols and dating are a no no so...well hopefully Serena isn't considered an Idol. Urggghhh....
  • Sorry Chloe, but pretty much every Lady Companion has a TV thing. Contests, Championship stuff, that one magical girl program...yeah you are going to join Ash in TV land. Get comfy.
  • Will I use Serena's outfit in Reset?
  • Oh hey, Serena has earrings!
  • Even Serena thinks the travel abroad's a bit much....eh who knows. Maybe Professor Cerise tutored some airline exec and the guy owes him free tickets.
  • Flashbacks, Oh I remember those episodes. Did Dawn and Iris get specific episo...oh wait Iris got at least one specific flashback with Drayden.
  • Kind of like having Pokemon center music as Serena explains her history with finding her passion. Honestly Serena's a Jill of All Traits with everything she can and did do before Showcases. I can even get away in Reset with having Serena been taught mechanics by Grace (...and hating every minute of it) in a way I don't think any other lady companion can.
  • Goh, you hung up....also interrupting the Amour. This makes people nervous Goh, as do I who dreaded this episode causing mass hatred and locking down TV tropes again.
  • Yeah, I'd say they rennovated stuff since Ash was last here. Poor guy, the art style shifts must make navigation a pain.
  • He met you once Wallace...
  • MAY!
  • I like this Wallace gag.
  • Wonder why Wallace isn't competing. Is he like, the first trainer to outright say they aren't part of it?
  • Goh, Chloe could get Ash to not battle Feeby. You can't get him to not battle Wallace.
  • Yes! Yes it is gaudy!
  • If May's the 'dancing girl of Hoenn'.....that opens some jokes about Chloe she may come to dread.
  • If the contest format was adjusted to fit with the series historically I'd like this shift. The appeal round stuff does seem to be familiar, if perhaps with less props and stuff.
  • You know Journeys, if you had Ash do battles like with Wallace during Goh episodes, we would probably complain about him less
  • Ren and Chryssa could have warned the poor Professor in a way that didn't sound like a Beautifly got Chloe's bodily fluids.
  • Not a bound appeal showing, though a dedicated contest episode could probably make it better.
  • I'm being a bit mean, this episode does a lot in a short period of time pretty well, even if it could probably each be an episode all its own.
  • Give the Queen respect! Respect Serena! Everyone today gets respect! ....except maybe Goh.
  • Now that is a contest. Triple Performances should be a thing!
  • Ash getting the swag tonight.
  • This time the episode cuts Wallace off.
  • Oh yikes Wallace talks a ton.
  • Do not join an idol duo. You will get creepy fans Serena! CREEPY! FANS!
  • Wait, a boat....time and space are madness in Journeys.
  • You know, for how people talk about it, Ash and Serena just went so quickly into synch when they saw the other
  • Honestly the shouting bit works, as it is clear they'd talk more without the time limit of the boat.
  • So this is the end of Chloe's known episodes. What...comes next?

I’m going to be honest: I was scared about how they would handle Serena’s return. I thought that they would ruin Amourshipping because of how JN has been a complete clusterfuck. But this? This was better than what I expected.

I feel bad for Lisia as she was overshadowed by Serena, but it seems like Lisia fangirls over Serena which is cute. I also loved seeing Yamper, Cerise watching his daughter was funny, and the Altaria gag was cute too. Serena mentoring Chloe is amazing and I’m so glad they had Serena’s Sylveon be the last Eeveelution or otherwise it would’ve been a huge missed opportunity. The bond between Sylveon and Eevee was so cute and I love how there were flashbacks to Serena’s Eevee. Serena’s appearance shows how much she’s matured and how she wasn’t really kidding when she said that she would become a more mature woman. I love how Serena quoted Ash’s exact words of inspiration to Chloe, that made me tear up. It shows that Serena still holds Ash very dear to her heart. Serena told Chloe that she was just like her when she started her journey, not knowing what to do in life, which is super inspiring, and how now she makes others smile, just like she said she was going to in XY. There was a baity scene where Chloe was on the phone with Goh and Ash and Serena turned her head to the side… yeah. I like how Chloe was remembering all her past experiences with the Eeveelutions when she was getting on stage. Serena’s performance was amazing, but it was a huge missed opportunity not to play Dori Dori. WE GET TO SEE MY BOY PANCHAM AGAIN!!!! Serena’s Braixen also evolved into Delphox, which further showcases her growth not only as a trainer, but also as a person. Lisia’s performance was decent as we see a Mega Altaria for the second time in a row, but I like Serena’s better. I like how there were glowsticks similar to the ones seen in showcases.

I loved seeing May and Dawn in a flashback, but sadly I think this is May’s only appearance she’ll get in this series. Wallace was very annoying and it was clear that he was only there to be a roadblock that prevented Ash and Serena from spending significant time together. Even without that, it seemed like a very dickish move to hold Ash by his shirt to prevent him from seeing a friend in a contest. Swampert only got 5 seconds of screen time of course. Honestly it should have been a 1v1 instead of a 3v3. And Ash wins, but Wallace gives him a badge and his scarf. Then the Altaria comes running past and Goh chases after it lol.

Now comes the big finale. At sunset, Serena bids Chloe farewell at the dock and gives Chloe’s Eevee the same ribbon that her Eevee previously wore. Chloe says that Serena let her discover a new side of herself, which is just what Serena was there to do. I love how Serena inspired Chloe just like Ash inspired her. And speaking of Ash… he comes running past her and onto the boat. Serena notices him, and he notices her as they both call each other’s name out and ask how the other is doing. I thought that Serena and Ash wouldn’t meet at all in this episode, so I’ll take this, but I’m also sad because I wanted them to talk longer. The boat begins to depart with Ash on it, so similar to how the escalator pulled Serena away from Ash after she kissed him. Although they don’t blush, both Ash and Serena’s eyes sparkle as they tell each other about the other’s goals. Ash then says to Serena that he’ll see her again, and Serena is seen waiting until the boat departs. Ash and Serena’s long awaited reunion, although only a minute long, is super powerful and shows how strong of a bond they have. This was so sweet and I loved it, and it leaves room for them to meet again. This scene also makes me think that both Serena and Ash feel something that is more than a friendship. We already know that Serena loves Ash (evidenced by her kissing him), and Ash’s eyes were shining just like they were when she kissed him. Ash saying that they’ll see each other again seals it for me. Both of them reaching for their goals, reaching for the highest heights, and inevitably, reaching for each other. It's moments like these that make me love Amourshipping so much. However, I don’t think Serena will show up again in JN as she wasn’t in the opening and JN is on a time crunch plus I feel like they’ll keep Ash on, but I hope I’m wrong. The only thing that I disliked was the lack of Serena’s ribbon, considering how it signaled her and Ash’s relationship. Overall, this was a great episode, and Serena’s return is one of the best companion returns for JN considering how much she helped Chloe develop and had a satisfying reaction with Ash.

The Ash-Serena interaction was really well handled. I was afraid it would be a bit difficult for the writers to set it up considering the way they parted from each other.

While I'm not a big fan of this Contest format where it's essentially a Performance without the Trainer, I'm glad they went the extra mile of explaining everything. No, they didn't retcon anything, and they didn't bend the rules for Serena. Please stop drawing conclusions without subtitles, guys.

I'm also glad they keep making sure Ash doesn't remember everyone he's met before, it's more believable and it made for good comic relief here. If you had told me yesterday that today's episode would have Wallace, Steven, May, Dawn, Serena and Bonnie all appearing in some capacity I would've thought you were pulling my leg. The best part is that they didn't even have to do all those flashbacks, they just chose to.

All in all it was a great episode for Koharu and Eevee, with natural character development, tons of fanservice for older fans, decent comedy moments, and also nailed an Ash and Serena reunion that could've been easy to screw up. I think that's quite the accomplishment to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom