• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN106: A New Show! Rocket-dan's Covert Kingdom Radio!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't expect to read this kind of comments on bulbagarden... So the Team Rocket TRio/QuaTRo doesn't matter anymore in the eyes of pokefans apart from their core fans? I'm so disappointed and depressed… TT_TT
Sorry to disappoint but they just don’t serve any purpose. Since they’re joke villains they’re never gonna really be actual good trainers to be a real threat, the show decided to replace them actually having their own with rental Pokémon so they don’t even have a bond with what they have, they’ll never actually develop towards any actual goal like the other cast members and the only time they’re really allowed to be credible is when there’s a competition that isn’t a League. Maybe if they were more punch clock villains it could work for them but so long as they’re just joke villains stuck to the same role as they’ve had for 25 years, they’re kinda just a joke that’s run on for a ridiculously long time. People talk about Ash being static but TRio takes the cake. Not gonna take away from your live for them but I just can’t see any real purpose in them.

Last edited:
I feel that, if anything, JN is showing the writers just don't know what to do with them at this point and/or they just don't care about them enough anymore. I'm definitely leaning more towards the ''The TRio won't leave after JN'' end of the spectrum, but I do think it opens up a very valid and important question:

Did the TRio surpassed their value to the show and ''expired'' to both writers and audiences?

I mean it's really no different than Misty and Brock being written off permanently. We're not in the 90's or even early 2000's anymore, characters who were once considered staples are not anymore.

I think Team Rocket will stick around anyway, but I'm just saying if it eventually gets to the point where they and Giovanni get a conclusion it wouldn't surprise me. They're no longer basically the major parts of the show they used to be. Even in SM they weren't really despite still getting some focus.

Yeah, the showrunners are keeping the TRio in their back pocket to for antagonism or comic relief as needed. And even then they're finding other sources for those these days.

At first I got excited thinking that the radio show was back and then disappointed that this is just an episode for the writers to mess up, but THEN I read Dogasu’s translation from the scan that the radio element was recorded pre-animation… which means that the TRio themselves have essentially written at least a segment of the episode! I thought I was done with this series, but apparently it is not yet done with me :wynaut:

Netflix is planning an animated spin-off about the Team Rocket TRio… it is the reason why they are less and less in « Pokémon Journeys « ?
F2461A89-159B-4AD5-8238-25D64F42EF30.jpeg
0E78A76A-AEB3-4A7F-8DBE-F6EB66122A59.jpeg

I didn't expect to read this kind of comments on bulbagarden... So the Team Rocket TRio/QuaTRo doesn't matter anymore in the eyes of pokefans apart from their core fans? I'm so disappointed and depressed… TT_TT
At least in my experiences looking at the past of Pokemon anime forums, this type of response is regular, that being said, particularly for Pokemon, every sort of "fan" should get something out of it is my opinion.

Netflix is planning an animated spin-off about the Team Rocket TRio…
Ok WHAT. Obviously this isn’t validated yet but I am terrified. Pretty sure I’ve mentioned before, a western Disney/Marvel style TRio spin-off is my actual worst nightmare… I cannot imagine them getting it right without somehow resurrecting Takeshi Shudo to write it. I am scared. This may be the start of my personal villain origin story ngl…

However, I will accept this upcoming episode as my birthday episode!

Netflix is planning an animated spin-off about the Team Rocket TRio
But wait. Would this be a japanese or an american production? And with which voice actors?

Reactions: Jez
I would loooove for some reanimated shots/scenes from EP002, especially their first motto like the one we got of Yamato's & Kosaburo's in their episode. Or hell, just make it a recap of their best moments thus far to remind younger viewers of how great they used to be...

Oh god another filler . I can't care if it's Team Rocket, Journeys has the record of most boring filler by now . Well except that Glaceon episode .
Journeys, you can't afford fillers anymore. Stop With Them
At this point I'd rather have Ash battling a random Cotd or Goh and Chloe having an interesting conversation for the whole episode rather than whatever Journeys wants to do .

A few random thoughts:

- I'm personally looking forward to this episode more than the two-parter we're getting next week.

- The current series can absolutely afford to do more fillers if Pocket Monsters (2019) continues until Generation 9. I notice that a lot of you are absolutely convinced that the current series will end once Scarlet & Violet hit the shelves but I honestly think it's still 50/50 at this point. We could very well still be following the adventures of Satoshi and Gou this time next year.

- The problem isn't that there isn't anything left to do with the Rocket trio; the problem is that the writers for this series, as a whole, have just been doing a really terrible job these last few years. "The writers of Pocket Monsters (2019) are bad at their jobs" isn't just limited to the way they're writing the Rocket trio, y'know.

- These comments about the show "no longer needing" the Rocket trio are absolutely absurd. A lot of the episodes that don't feature the trio have been freaking terrible (the recent Bachinkey episode comes to mind) and prove that no, sometimes you do need the hijinks of the Rocket trio to make an episode entertaining. The trio isn't a magic bullet that can suddenly cure the show of all its problems, of course, but having them appear too little has proven to be just as harmful (if not moreso) as having them appear too much.

- These comments about the show "no longer needing" the Rocket trio are absolutely absurd. A lot of the episodes that don't feature the trio have been freaking terrible (the recent Bachinkey episode comes to mind) and prove that no, sometimes you do need the hijinks of the Rocket trio to make an episode entertaining. The trio isn't a magic bullet that can suddenly cure the show of all its problems, of course, but having them appear too little has proven to be just as harmful (if not moreso) as having them appear too much.
To be fair tho, these eps have been poorly written because the writers are awful at their jobs. And please, let's not act like the eps featuring the TRio have been this great in JN either. I mean, that ep featuring them trying to dechyper what Pikachu was saying? Man, that has to be arguably the worst JN ep to this day. Point being: the writers being bad at their job is harmful to every single ep, regardless of the TRio being featured or not.

And I don't even think it's squarely about not "needing" them, exactly. Yeah, they've shown that the TRio is not needed all the time, but it's also because I just don't think they know what to do with the TRio anymore. The whole ''The TRio suddendly appears, recites their motto, does a move exchange with Ash and his friends for 1 minute and then gets Thunderbolted into the sky as they scream 'Team Rocket blasting off again!' " is just not working anymore. Frankly, I think everybody is tired of that. Especially the writers.

Am I advocating for the TRio to pack their stuff and leave the show? No. But I do think it's worth debating on whether or not the TRio's shelf life has expired.

Oh god another filler . I can't care if it's Team Rocket, Journeys has the record of most boring filler by now . Well except that Glaceon episode .

At this point I'd rather have Ash battling a random Cotd or Goh and Chloe having an interesting conversation for the whole episode rather than whatever Journeys wants to do .
This TR episode is their 25th anniversary of their debut in episode 2 in 1997. At least realize why TR are getting their own episode before complaining it's another filler. It's clearly for their 25th anniversary and more for the voice actors themselves since they recorded this ep as a radio drama before animation was decided. They're celebrating 3 of the longest voice actors on the show.

Also fillers in general was far worse in mid-Johto, late Hoenn, early Battle Frontier, and late DP too. So I don't see how this is a recent thing.

Ah yes these forums the only place where people are mad that some of the show's most prominent characters are getting one spotlight episode out of 30 because apparently that's not something you do when the series is approaching its end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom