• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN107: Help, Big Brother Wanpachi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gou's Personal Collection, like Gelardan's as someone pointed once, you mean.

Nope, I don't care about any of those Pokemon/Living Props.

I am willing to give Wanpachi a chance, though.
But not feeling really optimistic at what the staff have planned.
Ah yes, "personal collection." Not sure if that's better or worse than a zoo.

Golurk? Who's that? (I'm kidding.) In all seriousness, though, I'm curious-is there anyone who actually cares about Cerise Park and Goh's Pokemon "zoo" that lives there? (That's what they feel like to me.)
I couldn’t care less about Go’s zoo. All they are is an ever growing group of props that do nothing for 90% of the time and exist as a tool or a red shirt the other 10%. I still remember how the writers wanted us to care about the white flower Flebebe‘s plight and release despite the fact that it was caught offscreen and didn’t even appear again until that episode.

Pokémon of the Day feel more organic because at least they don’t come with the forced baggage of the writers acting like there‘s some deep bond with Go we’re supposed to resonate with despite the writers never actually giving focus to them beyond once in a blue moon superficial scenes of him acting like a zoo keeper and doing the bare minimum that one would do in animal care. Heck, Pokémon he actually bonded with or were fleshed out before capturing them like Cubone, Absol, Aerodactyl and Falinks haven’t even really appeared since being caught so if the writers don’t care, why should I?

Last edited:
Summary and Staff List courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Wanpachi plays the role of the reliable big brother to the Pokémon in Sakuragi Park. It normally does a great job solving the problems that occur in the Park, but this time it notices that the water in the river flowing through it has become dirty. Wanting to help the Pokémon living by the riverside, Wanpachi joins Satoshi, Go and Koharu as they attempt to figure out the cause of this... Will Wanpachi manage to uphold the peace in Sakuragi Park?

Screenplay 柿原優子 (Yuko Kakihara)
Storyboard 齋藤徳明 (Noriaki Saito)
Episode Director 門田英彦 (Hidehiko Kadota)
Animation Director 谷澤泰史 (Yasushi Tanizawa)
Animation Director Kwon yong sang

Wanpachi plays the role of the reliable big brother to the Pokémon in Sakuragi Park. It normally does a great job solving the problems that occur in the Park, but this time it notices that the water in the river flowing through it has become dirty. Wanting to help the Pokémon living by the riverside, Wanpachi joins Satoshi, Go and Koharu as they attempt to figure out the cause of this... Will Wanpachi manage to uphold the peace in Sakuragi Park?

Sounds to me like this is where Suicune is going to return.

It is certainly great to see Yamper getting some much needed focus, guessing Suicune will turn up to save the day in the end

Could the hunters be behind this getting their revenge

Then I guess every single problem we’ve seen in this park happened while he was on a smoke break.
Yamper: Alright guys I’m gonna take a quick break. Ima be back in like 10 minutes. Don’t do anything crazy while I’m gone
10 minutes later Yamper comes back to the park on fire
Yamper: Alright guys I’m ba- What the Hell happened here?

Yamper: Alright guys I’m gonna take a quick break. Ima be back in like 10 minutes. Don’t do anything crazy while I’m gone
10 minutes later Yamper comes back to the park on fire
Yamper: Alright guys I’m ba- What the Hell happened here?
4DE38925-BCC5-49A2-B261-A95F803F76CB.jpeg

It's interesting how a lot of the people complaining about "how we don't have time for fillers at this stage in the series" or "Ugh, Journeys fillers are all terrible and boring" last time are suddenly finding themselves with nothing to say this time...
Definitely still firmly in that camp. Really nothing that they’ve shown us for that episode, preview included, makes it look remotely interesting. The fact that it’s looking to take place entirely in their base also doesn’t help matters as it just feels like the equivalent of watching people making a podcast, which could work in a slice of life anime but not so much in Pokémon.

At least with this it’s a Pokémon belonging to a cast member and someone actually relevant. Plus Yamper had a presence earlier on before getting overshadowed by Eevee so them expanding on it is a good thing.

Last edited:
I am no longer interested on it.....

Is it too much asking for some interactions between Wanpachi and Eevee?

Are Living Props considered characters and can they have Sibling-dynamics?

It's interesting how a lot of the people complaining about "how we don't have time for fillers at this stage in the series" or "Ugh, Journeys fillers are all terrible and boring" last time are suddenly finding themselves with nothing to say this time...

Chloe stuff is in this odd space where it is sort of filler (if we define it classically), but because of her useage anything that puts her or her related stuff in focus it isn't particularly seen as fillery like we would an episode with a Goh capture as its highlight.

Goh, fairly or not, has warped our perception of things.

Ah yes, I've always enjoyed the episodes when Wanpachi helps out at the Park. Like the one where... no, wait, we've never seen Wanpachi helping out at Sakuragi Park. Hell, I can't even recall seeing it in there (I could be wrong, though).

Another example of this series' terrible problem with thinking it's ok to just tell us something as opposed to actually showing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom