• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN108: Lucario and Gekkouga! The Wave Guidance of Destiny!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully expecting a ton of "...and then maybe at the end of the episode Lucario will stay in Kalos and Greninja will rejoin Ash's team" speculation from this point on.

"...and then maybe at the end of the episode Lucario will stay in Kalos and Greninja will rejoin Ash's team"
Yep, that's my Unyielding Wish.

To drop the insipid and bland Shillcario in exchange for the Awesome Ninja Frog.

Edit: Gekkouga is not a shillmon because we haven't seen any since XY ended; unlike Lucario, it never failed to appear in each generation since its AG movie and it's the second species the staff likes to overdo/hype.

Last edited:
They're both the same. You're basically asking for one shilled blue and black color schemed pokemon to be replaced by another one, and on top of that they both have the same stoic personality too, lol.

I can't see a reason to dislike Lucario over Greninja since they're both the same archetype.

While I'm happy to see to see more Pokemon interaction, Lucario and Greninja feel far too similar to each other (personality wise) for me to see them having any interesting or compelling dynamic (as forced as the Lucario/Cinderace thing is, at least their contrasting personalities made them amusing to watch)

And like someone else said, Why the heck does Lucario need a mentor in the first place?

If the episode is training related I think this is a great use of Grenjnja

If Greninja rejoins the team (even if temporarily) I'm more uncertain

But overall seems to be a good episode idea by having those two interact

While I'm happy to see to see more Pokemon interaction, Lucario and Greninja feel far too similar to each other (personality wise) for me to see them having any interesting or compelling dynamic (as forced as the Lucario/Cinderace thing is, at least their contrasting personalities made them amusing to watch)

And like someone else said, Why the heck does Lucario need a mentor in the first place?
Ash is doing whatever is necessary to get his team stronger for future challenges. It’s no different than him going to Korrina to help him obtain a Lucarionite and keystone, going to Allister to help Gengar master Gigantamax, going to Wilkstorm to train and bond with Farfetch’d, and going to Clemont to train with Sirfetch’d and Dracovish. Being Ash’s current ace and capable of mega evolving, maybe there’s more Lucario can learn from a Pokémon that was once in its position.

...At this point who knows. All I know is that Greninja as a species has been barely used this gen despite its enduring popularity. I really could see them bringing Greninja in as the seventh mon, if just because of the attention it would get. Even if Greninja just had one battle under Ash....it could be massive.

Even if Greninja is done being the Kalos weed wacker I imagine they’ll still have him roam free doing good where he can, he has a natural heroic personality and I imagine his skills as the legendary hero Greninja would be put to better use outside the oak retirement home

Wait wait!

I have an idea!

Cinderace will see Lucario and Greninja bonding and get EXTREMELY jealous.

Greninja ain't about to steal Cinderace's BF away lmao

Ash is doing whatever is necessary to get his team stronger for future challenges. It’s no different than him going to Korrina to help him obtain a Lucarionite and keystone, going to Allister to help Gengar master Gigantamax, going to Wilkstorm to train and bond with Farfetch’d, and going to Clemont to train with Sirfetch’d and Dracovish. Being Ash’s current ace and capable of mega evolving, maybe there’s more Lucario can learn from a Pokémon that was once in its position.
But the thing is tho, Lucario has already mastered Mega Evolution and It alreadt defeated its Rival plus a G-Max Pokemon

What more could it possibly learn at this point?

Last edited:
Why the heck does Lucario need a mentor in the first place?
But the thing is tho, Lucario has already mastered Mega Evolution and It alreadt defeated its Rival plus a G-Max Pokemon

What more could it possibly learn at this point?
Simple, Ash's goal is to beat Leon, an overpowered trainer who has an overpowered Charizard with a fancy super mode as his ace, and since Lucario is being set up as the Journeys team's ace (or at the very least sharing the spot with Gengar and Pikachu due to their respective Gigantamax and exclusive Z-Move), then it's very likely that the doggo will have to fight Leon's Charizard in the finale. And since Greninja has plenty of experience when it comes to fighting overpowered Charizards with fancy super modes, who better than the ninja frog to give some preemptive advice and therapy for when Lucario and the rest of his team inevitably get swept? :p

All joking aside, my best guess is that this episode will be less of a mentor/apprentice story and more of a passing the torch one: from one serious and stoic ace with a blue and black color scheme and a powerful Super Sayan transformation to another. I'll admit that the premise and setup does feel quite fanfictiony, but to be fair that doesn't necessarily mean it'll suck. Let's just wait and see.

Simple, Ash's goal is to beat Leon, an overpowered trainer who has an overpowered Charizard with a fancy super mode as his ace, and since Lucario is being set up as the Journeys team's ace (or at the very least sharing the spot with Gengar and Pikachu due to their respective Gigantamax and exclusive Z-Move), then it's very likely that the doggo will have to fight Leon's Charizard in the finale. And since Greninja has plenty of experience when it comes to fighting overpowered Charizards with fancy super modes, who better than the ninja frog to give some preemptive advice and therapy for when Lucario and the rest of his team inevitably get swept? :p

All joking aside, my best guess is that this episode will be less of a mentor/apprentice story and more of a passing the torch one: from one serious and stoic ace with a blue and black color scheme and a powerful Super Sayan transformation to another. I'll admit that the premise and setup does feel quite fanfictiony, but to be fair that doesn't necessarily mean it'll suck. Let's just wait and see.
I don't think Lucario vs Charizard will actually be the main event. I think that's gonna be saved for Pikachu. I do think its possible we'll see Lucario being mentored by Greninja for the masters 8, but who knows.

Greninja: "My advice to you is this: if you hear the phrase "Blast Burn"...dodge."

To be fair, if you removed Goh and his Starters, the entire premise of Journey's sounds like one big fanfic

Now I understand why Goh exists. He's here to keep the show from feeling like the internet's Wish Fulfillment

To be fair, if you removed Goh and his Starters, the entire premise of Journey's sounds like one big fanfic

Now I understand why Goh exists. He's here to keep the show from feeling like the internet's Wish Fulfillment
Ash getting a Dragonite, Gengar, and Mega Lucario and having all three gimmicks, a bunch of returning characters including Greninja, horrible writing...

Kalos Fanboys and fangirls : Incomprehensible happy screaming
I'm suprised the fandom hasn't had a meltdown yet .
I desperately wish that Greninja does join back like Charizard or atleast temporarily like Goodra . What reason do they even have to keep him away from Ash ? More vines ? That's ridiculous .
I feel like Ash's Greninja, in the time that he was away from Ash, had completed his end of the deal with Zygarde and that every last evil-infested root left behind by Lysandre's attack was destroyed. If Ash still has the Poké Ball that held Greninja, maybe after the battle between Greninja and Lucario (If the two of them do battle), Ash can welcome Greninja home...

I feel like Ash's Greninja, in the time that he was away from Ash, had completed his end of the deal with Zygarde and that every last evil-infested root left behind by Lysandre's attack was destroyed. If Ash still has the Poké Ball that held Greninja, maybe after the battle between Greninja and Lucario (If the two of them do battle), Ash can welcome Greninja home...
I seriously hope so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom