• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN108: Lucario and Gekkouga! The Wave Guidance of Destiny!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greninja keeping Cut makes a little more sense if you look at its less generic Japanese name. It's not just Cut; it's Iai Cut. (Not that I blame the localizers for simplifying, since it isn't something where you can get the clear meaning across with just a few words in English).
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the hang-up with Cut for many is that it's a bad move in-game.

Greninja keeping Cut makes a little more sense if you look at its less generic Japanese name. It's not just Cut; it's Iai Cut. (Not that I blame the localizers for simplifying, since it isn't something where you can get the clear meaning across with just a few words in English).
Greninja already has another move that references a sword technique in the form of Aerial Ace, which is not only thematically fitting like Cut, but also functions as a coverage move that deals with three of Greninja's weaknesses (Grass, Bug, and Fighting types). So I think it'd be perfectly fine for Cut to be replaced with another stronger move, since it'd still have Aerial Ace as a flavorful reference to a cool sword technique.

I would have favoured it learning a Poison move, references the fact that Ninja used thrm.

But the line only has Toxic, which is impractical in the anime.

Greninja can actually learn Gunk Shot, as far as I recall.
It can also learn Toxic Spikes, which actually fit great thematically. Granted, it would have been tricky for that move to have a lot of practical applications in most battles due to how rare switches are in the anime and how Greninja was more often than not the last Pokemon to be sent out on Ash's side and similarly fought the opponent's last Pokemon as well.

I agree. If it were to use any move in place of Cut, it should be Night Slash.
Cross Poison is the one that fits the most.

What a shame that the developers didn't give it to the line.

Though, I also like Night Slash.

I agree. If it were to use any move in place of Cut, it should be Night Slash.
Considering Night Slash's animation in Journeys is blue colored, and Greninja's blade was bluish in the preview, that move Greninja used could very well have been Night Slash.

Last edited:
This magazine scan makes it look like some Greninja moments from XY will be redrawn:

3C9E23A1-CB77-4E04-BE0F-6BBBB97FF6FA.png

As this episode is almost upon us, I feel like listing some questions I have regarding this episode. We'll find out the answers to these when it airs tomorrow.

• Will Greninja transform into Ash-Greninja? (I feel like this is guaranteed, but it's still not confirmed)
• Will Zygarde appear in any capacity, regardless if it's just Squishy or Zygarde 50% form?
• Is Ash able to find Greninja because they can still see through each others vision after all this time?
• Will the vines be explained on why they are still around, long after the Team Flare arc has concluded?
• Will the vines get resolved once and for all in this episode, or are they going to persist?
• How will Greninja be able to teach Lucario whatever it is they are planning on having Lucario learn?
• Will Goh's Froakie meet Ash's Greninja?
• Will Greninja have the possibility of rejoining Ash for the Masters Eight? (Out of all these questions, this will probably be the one that goes unanswered)

Don't know if this is confirmed but it sounds like Alain is returning in this episode
That would be wild if true. I would love to see that personally. I guess we don't have much longer to wait to get our answers, I'm excited but cautious.

Don't know if this is confirmed but it sounds like Alain is returning in this episode
If a battle against him is in the works, then they must have Gekkouga rejoin.

It is imperative in that case, there is no way it can be done without him having the spotlight.

Lucario beating Lizardon in his mentor's place would be bs.

I haven’t waken up early to watch a new episode of Pokémon live since XY ended, but today’s episode has got me really excited. With the recent Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena episodes, plus this, XY fans have been rewarded greatly lately. See you all in the review thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom