• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN108: Lucario and Gekkouga! The Wave Guidance of Destiny!!

I wouldn't be surprised if someone from above told the anime staff, "Look, can we just pretend that whole Bond Phenomenon thing never happened? I get the whole connection thing but the unique design was a bit much."

I wouldn't be surprised if someone from above told the anime staff, "Look, can we just pretend that whole Bond Phenomenon thing never happened? I get the whole connection thing but the unique design was a bit much."
No. I don't think that's the case. The people above care about making money and Greninja's new form can make them extra plushies to sell.

After all, Mega Evolution isn't a thing in Gen 8 but boy do they want to market that Mega Lucario.

This sure was an ultra-intense episode that literally kept me at the edge of my seat. I mostly enjoyed it because it focused on two of the greatest Pokemon in the show, Greninja and Lucario, that Ash has a very unique connection with.
I also liked how the plot was developing: First, the search for Greninja with those flashbacks, then the inevitable first battle where Greninja showed off his superiority. It was followed by a pretty intense private lesson moment between the ninja frog and Lucario and last but not least, an exciting, intense showdown where Lucario proved he can be a beast as well

But, what exactly did Lucario learn here? He already knew how to make giant Aura Spheres and this episode has been the one time he’s come across as sluggish and slow,
He already knew how to use Aura Sphere and how to connect to Ash with the help of aura. So, I would say this episode's purpose was to help Lucario connect to Ash in a much closer way (like Greninja and Ash can) and by doing so increase the power of Aura Sphere. That's the message I took away from the episode.

Yes, the episode was great. However, I need to criticize two things that could have been better:
First, I missed real Greninja-Ash-interaction. Considering how close they used to be, Greninja appeared a bit too reserved. If someone didn't know Kalos, they could probably never image what Ash and Greninja went through after watching this episode. And although I didn't actually expect Greninja to rejoin Ash's team, I was secretly hoping he would though...

Second, I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Ash-Greninja. The final battle where Lucario mega-evolved would have been the perfect opportunity to show Ash-Greninja and Mega-Lucario, those two Pokemon who are so closely connected to Ash, work hand in hand. But well, the writers deciced differently.

I don't feel Ash-Greninja was retconned or anything. It's just being kept hidden, possibly for a future return where it will appear again.
I might be wrong, but I don't see a second chance for Greninja to return in Journeys, now that Lucario has been established as the "new" Greninja. Why should he?

I might be wrong, but I don't see a second chance for Greninja to return in Journeys, now that Lucario has been established as the "new" Greninja. Why should he?
Apparently, a leaker has said that Alain would return in Masters Eight, and people suspect Greninja could return to participate in a battle against him.

Apparently, a leaker has said that Alain would return in Masters Eight, and people suspect Greninja could return to participate in a battle against him.

Honestly, I don't see the connection.

The leaker seems to be reliable, so it's really possible Alain will return, but I think it's more likely Ash would fight him with his current team.

I see. Well, I'd say it depends on how reliable the leaker is. Did the news leak before or after this episode? If before, then it might just be speculation how Greninja could be handled if it stays for longer. But we'll see.

I see. Well, I'd say it depends on how reliable the leaker is. Did the news leak before or after this episode? If before, then it might just be speculation how Greninja could be handled if it stays for longer. But we'll see.
IIRC, this same leaker predicted Serena's return.

The beginning of the episode had me all like
th (9).jpeg

One leaker I saw who posted this is very, very reliable. They revealed a ton of things for Legends: Arceus ahead of time. However, the account that posted the pic of them claiming who are the Master Eight seems to be locking people out from viewing it now, which I do find slightly suspicious.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see the connection.

The leaker seems to be reliable, so it's really possible Alain will return, but I think it's more likely Ash would fight him with his current team.
There is a possibility that Ash may have to rely on reserves for the Master 8, and Leon's key to being the greatest trainer of the PWC is the fact he constantly switches up moves for his Pokémon in each round, making it near impossible to anticipate his attacks and defenses. Ash has always been the person to stick with his team to the very end and so far, it has worked out for him. But even he has to play a game of figuring out which gimmick he must use against opponent during his matches. As we can see with Raihan episode preview, Ash has both Mega Stone and Dynamax Band with him, but it's highly certain he won't be able to use both. So he has to choose one over the other and hope Raihan doesn't anticipates it.

Switching up a team is something that Paul was infamous in DP. Since he values strength and tactics over friendship and faith, he never stuck with the team he is most associated with while Ash stuck with his team even if it may cost him victory against Paul several time. While Paul's treatment of his Pokémon is cruel and wrong, his battle tactics are sound and makes him a more unpredictable threat to Ash. And considering that Paul is in the previews, that may be why he's here.

My favorite part was how they clearly stated what was Lucario's problem, which is VROOOOOOOOOOOM

It was also nice how it was solved, Lucario really put an effort to VROOOOOOOOOOOM

Not a bad episode by any means, but I feel that in an effort to make it cool they deprived it of the substance it could have had. Not only the questions above go open to interpretation, but like most of Journeys the encounter feels pretty safe and stake-less. The vines made up for a very boring villain and it was weird how it wasn't explained to Goh how they work. I liked Raihan's subplot and how Ash felt more mature than usual, but I don't see people gushing much about this return a few years down the road compared to Serena or Iris'.

A very decent episode indeed. Especially, when Goh's Froakie evolve to Frogadier letting Ash remind of his Greninja. That kick off the start to reunion his partner.

It seems the remaining of Giant Rock vines still pretty much not clear yet after Team Flare crisis. Also, Greninja teaching Lucario how to concentrate the movement of vibration. That bonding the will together with Ash. It also seems that is Lucario is weaker than Greninja. Which relay on both pseudo-bond and Mega Evolution to destroy the Vine. Anyway, sorry for late giving thoughts on the episode.

Overall rating: B+

One leaker I saw who posted this is very, very reliable. They revealed a ton of things for Legends: Arceus ahead of time. However, the account that posted the pic of them claiming who are the Master Eight seems to be locking people out from viewing it now, which I do find slightly suspicious.
The leaker locked others out because someone shared their stuff and misinterpreted some it when their leaks can be pretty vague at times. The leaker got mad about it and they've since locked their account, though people still share their stuff. Since then the leaker started this unbelievably petty feud against this user, and still continues months later by throwing in unnecessary and childish insults against this user in every vague SV leak. Could have simply ignored them, but nope.

Last edited:
Why was Greninja so cold towards Ash in this episode? This is exactly what I fear would happen when Paul came back - Making characters edgy and angsty for the sake of AMV shots for 12 year olds. Worst kind of fanservice.

Also, I doubt Greninja is fighting the vines alone. I'm sure he just split up with Zygarde so they could cover more parts of the region. Or at least I hope so, but the writers would probably never mention it anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom