• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN109: VS Kibana! Battle for Masters Eight!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it 100% believable, actually; the show clearly showed in the past that there is a massive difference in power between Gym Leaders and E4/Champions.
Ash is E4/Champion tier as of the end of XY, where he just barely lost to someone who defeated an Elite Four. He doesn't lose to Gym Leaders if he's not severely handicapping himself somehow, like using NFE, one who whom is newly hatched.

There's also the Leon thing; if Ash is losing half his battles like people are asking for it's completely unbelievable he'd last against Leon.
I never got this logic. Ash pokemon at the end of XY were e4 champion tier. That doesn't automatically mean that Dragonite, gangar, dracovish, Lucario, should be automatically e4 tier. Especially with the little screen time they have like dracovish. The.only one that should be e4 tier is Pikachu. It's not like XY Mon experience transfers straight to his new pokemon. That makes no sense

Does Cynthia being a champion mean that she catches a brand new pokemon, it's automatically champion level even tho it rarely battles. That's basically what your telling me

I never got this logic. Ash pokemon at the end of XY were e4 champion tier. That doesn't automatically mean that Dragonite, gangar, dracovish, Lucario, should be automatically e4 tier. Especially with the little screen time they have like dracovish. The.only one that should be e4 tier is Pikachu. It's not like XY Mon experience transfers straight to his new pokemon. That makes no sense

Does Cynthia being a champion mean that she catches a brand new pokemon, it's automatically champion level even tho it rarely battles. That's basically what your telling me
We're over 100 episodes in, closing in on the episode number where Ash beat Drake in gen 1.
Yeah, the off-screen battle montage was silly, but we've seen Ash training a few times in JN and we know he trains from previous series'. It's safe to safe they practice a lot.
Edit: I'd have to dig it up but I think his VA even said he trains every day if he doesn't have a mission to go on.

It's basically how the show has always worked; the XY team powered up a lot faster than, say, the Johto one, because Ash was a better trainer at that point.
The same basic idea applies here; JN team gets very powerful fast because Ash is meant to be a world-class trainer now. If Cynthia captured some new Pokémon it would probably become very powerful fast.

It’s a matter of how efficiently he can train his pokemon compared to earlier series. He knows how to play by his strengths and how to motivate his team better than ever before.

In theory, anyway.

We're over 100 episodes in, closing in on the episode number where Ash beat Drake in gen 1.
Yeah, the off-screen battle montage was silly, but we've seen Ash training a few times in JN and we know he trains from previous series'. It's safe to safe they practice a lot.
Edit: I'd have to dig it up but I think his VA even said he trains every day if he doesn't have a mission to go on.

It's basically how the show has always worked; the XY team powered up a lot faster than, say, the Johto one, because Ash was a better trainer at that point.
The same basic idea applies here; JN team gets very powerful fast because Ash is meant to be a world-class trainer now. If Cynthia captured some new Pokémon it would probably become very powerful fast.
Ok but my thing is, that doesn't make any sense. Ash doesn't magically make his pokemon stronger just because he had a powerful Greninja or an e4 Charizard or Pikachu. By that logic ash snivy should be strong because, infernape was strong??

It’s a matter of how efficiently he can train his pokemon compared to earlier series. He knows how to play by his strengths and how to motivate his team better than ever before.

In theory, anyway.
The problem is that some people justify the pokemon with so little screentime (like dracovish) as being strong, even tho ash barely trained it. Did he even train with it after iris battle or before? And their logic is "oh XY pokeywere strong so his new pokemon are automatically at that level"

The problem is that some people justify the pokemon with so little screentime (like dracovish) as being strong, even tho ash barely trained it. Did he even train with it after iris battle or before? And their logic is "oh XY pokeywere strong so his new pokemon are automatically at that level"
In typical Journeys fashion, its a matter of tell, don't show. They probably just say that Ash trains with his Pokemon off screen when they really should show that Ash is training with his Pokemon on screen, and use these episodes to develop them, develop relationships between them, or show them learning new moves.

It's fucking boring to see a protagonist who wins all the time

There's literally no stakes raised
Ash has lost plenty of times in the past already, it's about time he started kickin' butt. I don't know about all of you, but I for one am soooo done with seeing Ash lose. He's a champion level trainer now, he should be winning a lot. (Sure, the writing in this series is inconsistent and all over the place, but I guess you can't have everything.)
When was the last time the anime even had a double battle? Not counting like multiple people teaming up against Team Rocket.
Technically, it was Ash vs Clemont in the Kalos two-parter we just got. (Even though the battle was over pretty damn quick....)

Ash has lost plenty of times in the past already, it's about time he started kickin' butt. I don't know about all of you, but I for one am soooo done with seeing Ash lose. He's a champion level trainer now, he should be winning a lot. (Sure, the writing in this series is inconsistent and all over the place, but I guess you can't have everything.)
At the same time also, while I wouldn't mind seeing Ash lose to Raihan, Ash has been the subject of ridicule for years because of his constant league losses up until Alola. I constantly hear people talk about how horrible of a trainer he is, so it is nice to actually see him winning the majority of his battles and prove them wrong. What's his record in Journeys? 17-4-1?

Wins: (I think) Hodge, Visquez, Meganium trainer, Clawitzer trainer, Korrina, Electabuzz trainer, Kircketina, Chairman Rose, Gurdurr trainer, Rinto, Iris, Volkner, Bea, Marnie, Clemont, Drasna, and Wallace
Losses: Bea, Octillery trainer, Tentacruel trainer, and Rinto
Draws: Bea

Last edited:
At the same time also, while I wouldn't mind seeing Ash lose to Raihan, Ash has been the subject of ridicule for years because of his constant league losses up until Alola. I constantly hear people talk about how horrible of a trainer he is, so it is nice to actually see him winning the majority of his battles and prove them wrong. What's his record in Journeys? 17-4-1?
Exactly, it's about time our boy from Pallet gets the respect he deserves. As for his win rate this series, I'm not really sure myself.

Last edited:
Exactly, it's about time our boy from Pallet gets the respect he deserves. As for his win rate this series, not really sure myself.
Actually, now that I think about it, its more so 17-5-1. I was forgetting he lost to Leon.

The animation and art look absolutely terrible.

They've hidden a lot of this in the preview using recycled Iwane footage, but when the episode airs and people see the complete picture there are going to be a lot of complaints about this. And with all right - these high stakes battles deserve better.

Raihan is indeed still in the Master Class.

...wait. So if Raihan is still in Master Class, what reason does he have for accepting a battle with Ash who is in Ultra Class?

I mean, Raihan gains absolutely nothing regardless the outcome of the battle: if he wins, then it's just the status quo for him; if he loses, then he for sure loses his place in the Masters Eight... Seriously, Raihan has nothing to gain and everything to lose in this battle!

Not to mention, I thought trainers can only challenge other trainers in the same class. Did they explain this at all in the episode that just aired?

...wait. So if Raihan is still in Master Class, what reason does he have for accepting a battle with Ash who is in Ultra Class?

I mean, Raihan gains absolutely nothing regardless the outcome of the battle: if he wins, then it's just the status quo for him; if he loses, then he for sure loses his place in the Masters Eight... Seriously, Raihan has nothing to gain and everything to lose in this battle!

Not to mention, I thought trainers can only challenge other trainers in the same class. Did they explain this at all in the episode that just aired?
In Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, Brock says that Gym Leaders have the right to challenge Champions whenever they want. I assume a similar thing probably applies to whoever gets to the 9th position as well, otherwise the system would fall apart. They could easily just throw out a line saying "If you reach X rank in Ultra Class, you can challenge one of the Master 8 whenever you want".

I believe they explained, but I need subtitles to see what exactly the reason was. I've seen a theory that basically suggests that Raihan could basically serve as a gatekeeper for the Masters Eight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom