• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN109: VS Kibana! Battle for Masters Eight!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologise, got so focused on addressing that issue that I forgot.....

Back on track, a single episode for this battle.

Now I think that Kibana was always intended to be a minor nuisance in the PWC's run.
Define minor compared to say....Bea or Rinto for other repeat performers

Define minor compared to say....Bea or Rinto for other repeat performers
He won't have any impact, insignificant/irrelevant.

Such character being treated like that, a meaningless obstacle.

They at least brought some attempts at development for Satoshi's Pokemon.

wasn't sure where else to say this so i'm dropping it here since it sort of fits. Do you think they are going to spread out the master's 8 like the rest of the PWC or just be all saved for the very end of the series like the league is. I seem to recall something about the master's eight being a tournament or something at like, the start of the series but i can't quite recall. If its the latter than its a weird gap from Ash getting into the Master's 8 and the Master's 8 battles (unless he like, gets pulled out but then gets back in or something)

He won't have any impact, insignificant/irrelevant.

Such character being treated like that, a meaningless obstacle.

They at least brought some attempts at development for Satoshi's Pokemon.
So the major would be Korrina Bea 'Gurdur guy', Ringo. Iris, and Drasna?

This battle is basically like the 8th Gym battle in every series (and Raihan is the 8th Gym leader too) where it's the final qualifying match to enter the league. So it's basically the same as if Ash were battling the last Gym leader only this time higher stakes since he can't lose here.

wasn't sure where else to say this so i'm dropping it here since it sort of fits. Do you think they are going to spread out the master's 8 like the rest of the PWC or just be all saved for the very end of the series like the league is. I seem to recall something about the master's eight being a tournament or something at like, the start of the series but i can't quite recall. If its the latter than its a weird gap from Ash getting into the Master's 8 and the Master's 8 battles (unless he like, gets pulled out but then gets back in or something)
They did specifically say tournament. I have no reason to believe they've suddenly forgotten what tournament means, so it will most likely be the usual League format, just with 8 people. It also seems like ranks will be locked after the Raihan battle, so I don't expect any random 1v1 matches before the tournament begins.

Assuming the next series or arc begins in November, there is probably only about 25 unannounced episodes left.

Last edited:
xtWJMHu_d.png

Aiming to challenge the reigning champ Dande!
A SUPER FIERCE FIGHT BETWEEN SATOSHI AND KIBANA!!
Kibana is a skilled trainer that sees the reigning champ Dande as his rival! Will Satoshi get close to his goal, a battle against Dande, if he beats this tough opponent?!

KMB3Fup_d.png

SATOSHI: I WANT TO BATTLE DANDE ONE MORE TIME! Satoshi realized how skilled Dande was in an unofficial battle he begged him for. In order to show him how much he has grown thoughout his adventure and his many battles, he first has to win against Kibana!
WHAT WAS HIS BATTLE AGAINST DANDE LIKE?
This was Satoshi's first Daimax battle in the Galar region! Pikachu Kyodaimaxed, but still got crushed by Lizardon's power!
SATOSHI'S BATTLE STRATEGIES: WILL HE USE KYODAIMAX AND MEGA EVOLUTION?!
Both are powerful trump cards he discovered on his adventure! Deciding when and against who to use them is critical!
LUCARIO'S MEGA EVOLUTION: It can temporarily battle with more power than normal! Mega Lucario might even be able to win against all three?!
GANGAR'S KYODAIMAX: It grows gigantic, towering over 20 meters! If it were too catch and swallow the opponent with its long tongue, the match would be over right then and there?!

kdfNx3U_d.png

DANDE: VICTORY AGAINST DANDE, THE GREATEST OF THEM ALL AND MY RIVAL!
Kibana has always had a very visible rivalry with Dande, the overwhelming champ that kept winning and winning. He has declared he will win against Dande, and utterly refuses to hand his position as one of the Masters Eight over to Satoshi, who has climbed all the way from the Normal Class!
WHAT WAS HIS BATTLE AGAINST DANDE LIKE?
It was an official match in the Master Class. Both Pokémon Kyodaimaxed, and the battle ended with Lizardon winning.
KIBANA'S BATTLE STRATEGIES: HE USES POKÉMON MOVES TO CONTROL THE WEATHER IN THE STADIUM AS HE SEES FIT!
He changes the weather so he'll always battle with an advantage. Satoshi will have to fight both the Pokémon and the weather at the same time!
FLYGON'S SANDSTORM: In addition to inflicting damage on the opponent, the sand makes it difficult to see!
NUMELGON'S RAIN DANCE: Numelgon performs better when wet, and Water type moves increase in power as well!

Isn't Dragonite and Flygon supposed to be a matchup?
My guess based on everything I've heard or seen thus far, (including what the Chinese leaker said,) is: Dragonite and Flygon briefly clash, with Dragonite taking quite a bit of damage from both Flygon's attacks whilst also hampered by the sandstorm. Dragonite is then recalled in favor of Gengar. Gengar also struggles to hit Flygon in the sandstorm, so Ash Gigantamaxes it and one of two things then happen (or both things.) Gengar cancels out Flygon's sandstorm with Max Hailstorm or just beats Flygon with it outright, or just from its Max moves in general. Then Goodra comes out, presumably takes some damage from Gengar's attacks but ultimately outlasts Gengar and defeats it. Then Goodra and Dragonite duke it out (I'm guessing quite a brief clash at this point, there probably won't be that much time left in the episode for a protracted battle between them,) and knock each other out. And then from there it's Mega Lucario against Gigantamax Duralodon (and we all know how that's going to end.)

The magazine just reminded me I wonder if we will ever get to see Gmax Pikachu again preferably y'know, fighting well instead of stumbling around a lot because Pikachu can't handle his newfound return to chonky. I'm doubtful sense Gmaxing is Gengar's job now but, its possible.

Call me mean or whatever, but I'm so happy we can actually see a highly competent Goodra battle it out, especially after the League fiasco with Ash's.

I don't hate Ash's Goodra, but as somebody who always liked the species, seeing it just being mediocre at it's best in XY/XYZ really sucked imo.

Summary and Partial VA list courtesy of Adamant

Satoshi faces a match against Kibana where entry into the Masters Eight is on the line. Kibana's weather manipulation battle style has him cornered! This is a battle of willpower, a match where both of them refuses to yield!

Summary:
Satoshi faces a match against Kibana, one of the absolute top Gym Leaders in the Galar region, where entry into the Masters Eight is on the line. Kibana, aka the "Dragon Storm", abolutely refuses to yield out of his desire to defeat Dande, and uses a clever weather manipulation battle style that has Satoshi cornered! This is a battle of willpower between Satoshi and Kibana, with Dande himself watching!!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu

Call me mean or whatever, but I'm so happy we can actually see a highly competent Goodra battle it out, especially after the League fiasco with Ash's.

I don't hate Ash's Goodra, but as somebody who always liked the species, seeing it just being mediocre at it's best in XY/XYZ really sucked imo.
It got too little screen time and development and lost two major battles which put it down for me

So....the World Coronation Series is a Annual Tournament right? Least that is what Bulbapedia calls it. If this is the last match before the Masters Eight final tournie....that implies that Journeys, in a timeline where Ash does in fact age, is probably around a year long.

It got too little screen time and development and lost two major battles which put it down for me
The problem is Goodra's lack of screentime can be blamed on a release that felt unnecessary. Plus, after being brought back cause Ash needed 6 Pokemon, Goodra's performance was pretty lackluster. It got one tie and a loss. Goodra was basically unstoppable before that point though.

Summary and Partial VA list courtesy of Adamant

Satoshi faces a match against Kibana where entry into the Masters Eight is on the line. Kibana's weather manipulation battle style has him cornered! This is a battle of willpower, a match where both of them refuses to yield!

Summary:
Satoshi faces a match against Kibana, one of the absolute top Gym Leaders in the Galar region, where entry into the Masters Eight is on the line. Kibana, aka the "Dragon Storm", abolutely refuses to yield out of his desire to defeat Dande, and uses a clever weather manipulation battle style that has Satoshi cornered! This is a battle of willpower between Satoshi and Kibana, with Dande himself watching!!

Voice Cast:
Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu

Wait! So the anime literally changed the nickname of Raihan to Dragon Storm instead of Weather User.

So....the World Coronation Series is a Annual Tournament right? Least that is what Bulbapedia calls it. If this is the last match before the Masters Eight final tournie....that implies that Journeys, in a timeline where Ash does in fact age, is probably around a year long.
They've only spoken of "seasons", which isn't as exact of a time period.

A pity. A Flint v Ash rematch would have been nice, but eh until it is said in canon maybe he'll still get a chance to be Ash's first round KO.

Honestly with this tournie the question more than ever is 'who do we want Ash to beat and who do we want to fall to someone else'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom