• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN109: VS Kibana! Battle for Masters Eight!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the PWC match between Ash and Raihan is being hyped up so much in-universe, is there a chance for some of Ash’s friends to be seen watching the match live on TV? For example, Ash told Serena about the PWC, so what if we got a two second cameo of Serena watching the end of the match? We could also see characters like Misty or Max this way. I feel like they’re building up the idea of Ash’s friends watching the Masters Eight in person when it happens, so showing some of Ash’s friends watching his match against Raihan could be a fantastic way to foreshadow that.

That's another example of why the concept of the PWC (which per se is one of the greatest ideas the show has come up with) seems kind of flawed. Not only that we don't really understand the ranking system, I don't understand why the Masters Tournament has to "start" in the first place, either. Isn't the Master Class supposed to be a constant, (continuous) institution where trainers can enter any time? If not, how come it'll start exactly when Ash is ready to enter? That's a bit too obvious and convenient if you ask me.
The idea of a tournament between the top 8 ending the season was established way back when the concept was introduced. This is an annual competition where the rankings reset each season, so of course there's a deadline.

Honestly, the topic of “Ash getting stressed when he realizes that people are gunning for him when he’s never gotten in that position” is interesting. There could be an arc like that were a special someone gets him out of his funk and Ash realizes that he still enjoys battling, not worrying about keeping his spot as a Pokemon master or the greatest trainer because he’s already become one and loves to battle and meet new people. (Sequel series where Ash’s kid eventually beats him and Ash cries as a proud papa and then the two battle together as a tag team plz)

I really like the way you explain things. However, I don't think this will be the case. Ash has always played the role of the underdog and I can't see why the writers would change that all of a sudden ( We don't even know if he will win the PWC) But I agree with you there's still a huge question mark with regards to how Ash will be handled after the PWC. That's why I started a threat dedicated to that question a few month ago. If Ash really wins the the PWC, I even think the writers will have no other choice than to replace Ash as the main protagonist.
The reason why I came to such conclusion in my analysis is a question came from Owada's answer in an interview:

FIlZxaEWQAQPL_S.jpeg

"What does this mean for me?"

That's the overarching question for Ash for 2022, and you have to wonder why would a child who thinks his goal is simply "I want to fight Leon!" would get an epiphany later on. I then thought about Leon's feelings and what he privately reveals to Ash during their time together away from the public. Turns out, he's an adult Ash Ketchum at heart. And that to me is the key. If he is like Ash Ketchum, then it's likely that what he's feeling is what Ash will be feeling when he becomes World Champion.

And Leon admits he's feeling the pressure of being World Champion. Not because he fears of losing it, but rather he fears of being unable to go further. And the Darkest Day incident was the first time he ever felt beatable. The fact that Ash didn't consider this at all until Leon tells him is a tall-telling sign of Ash's character arc. Like yeah, what happens when Ash is no longer the underdog? What happens when he's the top dog and everyone else are the underdog?

It's there I got interested in the prospect of Ash winning the whole thing. Because it opens all new kinds of questions that Ash must answer if he is to become a better Pokémon Master.

Then I saw one episode title, "Royal Battle Betrayal", and I realized it came after the Raihan episode. Combine with the fact that Ash doesn't seem to be aware that he's becoming an international celebrity on TV... I came to conclusion that Ash's winning streak is intentional. So focused is he on reaching Leon that he's oblivious to the fact that the world he used to enjoy traveling and battling is changing around him. And he may never go back to that world because now people recognize him as a powerful and famous trainer. So for Ash, is he ready to face inevitable change?

The reason why I came to such conclusion in my analysis is a question came from Owada's answer in an interview:

View attachment 159313

"What does this mean for me?"

That's the overarching question for Ash for 2022, and you have to wonder why would a child who thinks his goal is simply "I want to fight Leon!" would get an epiphany later on. I then thought about Leon's feelings and what he privately reveals to Ash during their time together away from the public. Turns out, he's an adult Ash Ketchum at heart. And that to me is the key. If he is like Ash Ketchum, then it's likely that what he's feeling is what Ash will be feeling when he becomes World Champion.

And Leon admits he's feeling the pressure of being World Champion. Not because he fears of losing it, but rather he fears of being unable to go further. And the Darkest Day incident was the first time he ever felt beatable. The fact that Ash didn't consider this at all until Leon tells him is a tall-telling sign of Ash's character arc. Like yeah, what happens when Ash is no longer the underdog? What happens when he's the top dog and everyone else are the underdog?

It's there I got interested in the prospect of Ash winning the whole thing. Because it opens all new kinds of questions that Ash must answer if he is to become a better Pokémon Master.

Then I saw one episode title, "Royal Battle Betrayal", and I realized it came after the Raihan episode. Combine with the fact that Ash doesn't seem to be aware that he's becoming an international celebrity on TV... I came to conclusion that Ash's winning streak is intentional. So focused is he on reaching Leon that he's oblivious to the fact that the world he used to enjoy traveling and battling is changing around him. And he may never go back to that world because now people recognize him as a powerful and famous trainer. So for Ash, is he ready to face inevitable change?
I- Charcter analysises are beautiful .
Just rename this to "The Future of Ash and the inevitable change in the world aound him" .
Not that I will complain

Pokemon can do that...it just usually isn't interest or needs to do it. But if it wants to, why not? As long as it doesn't go full 'Shudo' we'll be fine.

Next episode 110, 111 and 112 is not confirmed in Bulbapedia for every day.

That was a lie and deception.

If Ash wins, please just let this battle go without Ash's Pokemon, especially Lucario, tanking like 5 attacks while getting a lucky one shot. One of my biggest complaints about battles is seeing Ash getting walked all over while doing nothing to outsmart his opponents and merely getting lucky one shots with some, and it happens too much with Lucario. I know Raihan is meant to be very tough and his weather tactics are meant to be a real challenge, but please show Ash outsmarting him and not having his Pokemon tank absurd amounts of damage.

Last edited:
If Ash wins, please just let this battle go without Ash's Pokemon, especially Lucario, tanking like 5 attacks while getting a lucky one shot. One of my biggest complaints about battles is seeing Ash getting walked all over while doing nothing to outsmart his opponents and merely getting lucky one shots with some, and it happens too much with Lucario. I know Raihan is meant to be very tough and his weather tactics are meant to be a real challenge, but please show Ash outsmarting him and not having his Pokemon tank absurd amounts of damage.
This was why I liked the marnie battle . Ash had Gengar dodge as many hits as possible and the first time Dynamaxing was fun and stratergic instead of 'attack until the enemy faints'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom