• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN110: The Battle Royale of Betrayal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get they want the best of the best for Project Mew...but a PokeGirl Raising Project-style death battle seems like a bit much...:unsure:

Seriously, I can’t for the life of me give a crap about the two PM veterans, and that’s coming from someone that remembers Sina and Dexio. Am I alone there?

Glad we’re finally seeing more of Goh’s people struggle though. Took them look enough to capitalise on that.

Seriously, I can’t for the life of me give a crap about the two PM veterans, and that’s coming from someone that remembers Sina and Dexio. Am I alone there?

Glad we’re finally seeing more of Goh’s people struggle though. Took them look enough to capitalise on that.
You’re definitely not alone and it extends to the guy in charge of Project Mew as well. There was really no time given to actually make any of them feel like actual characters despite being part of Go’s goal and barely appear so it’s hard to get invested in them.

What a discussion. I only said Goh is a better battler than he was at the start of the series.

Also, I think some underestimate how you can improve by watching experts. No, you will NOT get on their level by just watching, but you will improve.

Also, we don't even know how Goh will do yet. He can struggle the whole episode for all we know.

And I don't think all the trainers who are invited to try out for Project Mew are the best battlers. Some will be selected because of this condition, but not all. Goh for example was presented by prof. Oak because of his catching skills, the fact he also caught Suicune and maybe a little bit because of his dream to catch Mew. Not because of his battle skills.

I can see other candidates being selected because of other skills which could be important (like being good navigators, being survival experts, being good teammates, leadership skills,...) However, battling is also an important skill, which is (1 of?) the skills which will be tested in this mission. If I was in charge of the Project Mew team, I would let the weaker battle trainers participate in this mission, to see who improved and who didn't. Also, I wonder if it will also be a secret test about teamwork. I guess we'll see.

Being good in one area could be enough to gain the interest of the Project Mew team. The trials now are to see who are the most complete trainers to become official members. The reason they have to earn coins and they can earn coins if they excel in qualities which are useful for the Project Mew team.

Goh's steongest points are catching Pokémon, being creative in using his Pokémon in the field to help him and also his curiosity and his knowledge about some Pokémon. And maybe his creativity. Battling isn't his strongest point, but he is improving. Also teamwork with people he's not familiar with can be a problem. I think the most important thing is his weak points aren't so bad he would drag the team down. Being great in his strong points and being at least decent (at best) in his weak points could make him a top candidate. Nobody can be the best in every field.

The last mission we saw a lot of candidates who failed at the navigation part of the mission. It seemed like a lot of people failed.

Last edited:
What a discussion. I only said Goh is a better battler than he was at the start of the series.

Also, I think some underestimate how you can improve by watching experts. No, you will NOT get on their level by just watching, but you will improve.

Also, we don't even know how Goh will do yet. He can struggle the whole episode for all we know.

And I don't think all the trainers who are invited to try out for Project Mew are the best battlers. Some will be selected because of this condition, but not all. Goh for example was presented by prof. Oak because of his catching skills, the fact he also caught Suicune and maybe a little bit because of his dream to catch Mew. Not because of his battle skills.

I can see other candidates being selected because of other skills which could be important (like being good navigators, being survival experts, being good teammates,...) However, battling is also an important skill, which is (1 of?) the skills which will be tested in this mission. If I was in charge of the Project Mew team, I would let the weaker battle trainers participate in this mission, to see who improved and who didn't. Also, I wonder if it will also be a secret test about teamwork. I guess we'll see.

Being good in one area could be enough to gain the interest of the Project Mew team. The trials now are to see who are the most complete trainers to become official members. The reason they have to earn coins and they can earn coins if they excel in qualities which are useful for the Project Mew team.

Goh's steongest points are catching Pokémon, being creative in using his Pokémon in the field to help him and also his curiosity and his knowledge about some Pokémon. And maybe his creativity. Battling isn't his strongest point, but he is improving. Also teamwork with people he's not familiar with can be a problem. I think the most important thing is his weak points aren't so bad he would drag the team down. Being great in his strong points and being at least decent (at best) in his weak points could make him a top candidate. Nobody can be the best in every field.
You also made a ridiculous notion that nobody would even expect from Go as to even bring up that he’s not exactly taking on Masters 8 as if anyone even brought up such a comparison. The entire notion was basically pointed towards an annoying thing with Go as a character where he’s basically given a skill level as the plot demands it without the actual anime presenting him actually putting in the work for it, something that has been present with every main cast member since the start but for whatever reason he is exempt from it. Instead of him actually earning his battle chops, we’re instead presented with that he learned from watching Ash but because he’s barely ever actually been seen training his Pokémon, it just comes off as lazy writing for the writers to give him a pass of a skill set he shouldn’t logically have.

And as for the recommendation, yea he got it for catching Suicune but without any actual context (the actual context making it a lot less impressive of a feat), it makes him look a lot more skilled as a trainer than he actually is. And while other trainers may have been selected for having other skills, we have yet to see trainers who aren’t at very least well rounded. Between Gary, Tokio, Asashi and Tsurugi, you can see in their skills why they’re in this. With Go, the writers didn’t put enough into his development that he would be a believably well rounded trainer.

And the entire setup of this scenario just reeks of something that, even if they present as a challenge with this being something that shouldn’t be in his wheel house for skill, that they won’t allow for him to fail considering we’re this late in the game and Ash has already made it to the endgame of his goal and they wouldn’t have Go lag behind. If the writers actually end up having Go outright fail and have to learn from failure, I’ll gladly eat my words but given how they’ve written Go, I’m not exactly confident.

You also made a ridiculous notion that nobody would even expect from Go as to even bring up that he’s not exactly taking on Masters 8 as if anyone even brought up such a comparison.
To be honest, I wasn't the only one, nor the first one in this topic to bring this up, or at least somerhing in this direction.

And I agree with this statement.

And I used the term 'Masters 8' together with the term 'or other experienced trainers'.

It's just to say Goh will probably not fight the best trainers in this episode. This is also a reason why I wouldn't mind if he's holding his own in this battle or maybe even win it. However, if the battle is against very good battle trainers, this would be a complete other story.

If Goh is a well written character or not isn't something I will discuss in episode discussion topics, there are other places to do this. But him being able to battle with his Pokémon in this episode, I do think this is realistic with the things we know about the episode for now. Maybe my opinion will change after seeing the episide and the writters made Goh too good.

Last edited:
Okay... Now you guys know how much I love Inteleon but why tf is Goh using him in a Battle Royale?

Realistically speaking, unless every other Trainer in this competition is a complete noob, I know damn well he is not gonna stand a chance in hell
(I love the dude ffs but come on)

PeacefulFewAmethystgemclam-poster.jpg

This is why I partake in the Stan Lee school of thought when it comes to the "who would win" scenario and power scaling.

So one Question I'm always asked. Who would win in a fight? Who would win in a fight if Galactus fought The Hulk, or if Thor fought Iron Man? And there's one answer to all of that. It's so simple, anyone should know this. The person who'd win in a fight is the person that the scriptwriter wants to win! If I'm writing a story, about The Thing, from the Fantastic Four, and he gets into a big fight with Spider-Man, and millions of people out there say Who Would Win? Well, it depends on who I want to win if I'm writing the script. If I want Spider-Man to win, he'll win. If I want the Thing to win, he'll win. These are fictitious characters, the writer can do whatever he wants with them! So stop asking those questions, 'cause I've had it with that.

Okay... Now you guys know how much I love Inteleon but why tf is Goh using him in a Battle Royale?

Realistically speaking, unless every other Trainer in this competition is a complete noob, I know damn well he is not gonna stand a chance in hell
(I love the dude ffs but come on)

PeacefulFewAmethystgemclam-poster.jpg
If the writers want to be smart about it, they’d make use of Inteleon’s invisibility and sniping skill to pick off the competition. Whether they actually go about it that way or invoke protagonist plot armor on Go, we’ll have to see.

Is it wrong of me to hope that Tokio succeeds here instead of Goh
Maybe but I’d be lying if I said you were alone. Go needs to have a definitive failure. One where he absolutely has to learn to improve himself. The Articuno episode was close but it kinda undermined the lesson by the fact that he still passed but just didn’t get the bonus coins.

Did you changed the title from The Battle Royale of Betrayal! to Ash and Paul! Training At Our Last Encounter!?

I don't know if this is true or not (the episode says nothing about Gary)

So take this with a grain of salt

But that does remind me. Did the Chinese Leaker say anything about this episode yet?

Then again, they also said this

And there's no way in hell the writers are gonna pass the chance for a rematch against Alain. lol

Staff list courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

Screenplay 土屋理敬 (Michihiro Tsuchiya)
Storyboard 尼野浩正 (Hiromasa Amano)
Episode Director 佐々木純人 (Sumito Sasaki)
Animation Director 五十嵐俊介 (Shunsuke Igarashi)

I don't know if this is true or not (the episode says nothing about Gary)

So take this with a grain of salt

But that does remind me. Did the Chinese Leaker say anything about this episode yet?

Then again, they also said this

And there's no way in hell the writers are gonna pass the chance for a rematch against Alain. lol

Is this a credible leaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom