• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review JN110: The Battle Royale of Betrayal!

nickdt

Reaction score
I feel like Goh should have won the battle between him and Tokio, but Tokio still gets three tokens because he wanted to withdraw for the battle for unselfish reasons.

Like, there is no way Gary is gonna be eliminated early in the next mission and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense the winner getting more than 4 tokens (Goh needs 5) and we can safely assume Gary gets at least 2, meaning Goh needs about 8 tokens.

90'sPokéfan

Reaction score
I feel like Goh should have won the battle between him and Tokio, but Tokio still gets three tokens because he wanted to withdraw for the battle for unselfish reasons.

Like, there is no way Gary is gonna be eliminated early in the next mission and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense the winner getting more than 4 tokens (Goh needs 5) and we can safely assume Gary gets at least 2, meaning Goh needs about 8 tokens.
I felt Goh should have gotten tokens because he felt the danger of the trap and/or because he stopped Tokio from forfeiting (so Goh didn't chose the easy path). He did win 2 tokens for ending in 2nd place (and the other top 4 trainers got 1 token each).

Also, Goh doesn't need that much tokens, does he? He needs to end in the top 3. He now is one token behind on the (shared) top 3. He needs 2 tokens to jump over the top 3. However, since those trainers alsof can gain extra coins, Goh better gets more than 2. But 8 is too much I think. Goh doesn't need to jump over Gary.

It seems those 2 rivals from this episode will be in the same trial as Gary and Goh. They are now in 2nd and (tied) 3th place. So if they stay behind without tokens, Goh could at least pass those 2 with 3 tokens. And my guess is Tokio will compete elsewere with other candidates, like Gary did this episode. If Tokio wins his challenge and denies other competers the maximum amount of tokens, the top 3 could be 1) Gary, 2) Tokio, 3) Goh if Goh manages the score at least 3 tokens.

Also, they decided this episode to cut of every challenger who didn't have at least 4 tokens. Meaning that at least mathematically people with 4 tokens should be able to end in the top 3 with the last mission.

I wonder what would happen if the number 3 spot ends on a draw. Is there a tiebreaker we don't know about. Will there be an extra challenge for those people? Or will we never know because it will not happen?

But we'll see.

Last edited:

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
Ok. Thx. I have no intention of watching this episode. Not to mention it is the height of rudeness, as if it never happened at all.
I don't think it was done out of rudeness. It's simply not relevant to the events of this episode, and will definitely be brought up again later when the time is right.

nickdt

Reaction score
I don't think it was done out of rudeness. It's simply not relevant to the events of this episode, and will definitely be brought up again later when the time is right.

True, but they could have Asahi congratulate him anyways (Not bothered by them not deciding to do it though, just saying they could have done it as a possibility).

Nicolas721

Reaction score
A fun episode overall. It has an interesting setup and it was nice to see Goh and Horace working together and becoming closer, talking more about their dreams and eventually choosing to battle instead of giving up. The betrayal from the new rivals was executed well, and the final battle was quite great with the way it synergized the environment with Inteleon's abilities.

My minor complaints would be that unlike previous Project Mew episodes it didn't involve researching or understanding Pokemon better, and that Koffing and Jumpluff should have been replaced by wild Pokemon since it was very weird that no one lived in the ship.

jjliang

Reaction score
Is Horace's Gardevoir going to sound more or less like a Gardevoir in the dub? Do you think there should be an episode where they have a Gardevoir and a Gallade both appear at the same time?

Last edited:

DarkraiKnight

Master of the Shadows
Reaction score
A fun episode overall. It has an interesting setup and it was nice to see Goh and Horace working together and becoming closer, talking more about their dreams and eventually choosing to battle instead of giving up. The betrayal from the new rivals was executed well, and the final battle was quite great with the way it synergized the environment with Inteleon's abilities.

My minor complaints would be that unlike previous Project Mew episodes it didn't involve researching or understanding Pokemon better, and that Koffing and Jumpluff should have been replaced by wild Pokemon since it was very weird that no one lived in the ship.
To be fair, in the games, there weren't any wild Pokemon in Sea Mauville outside of those living in the water (and also Spiritomb and Lugia). Realistically, though, there totally should've been wild Pokemon living there.

...y'know, now that I think about it, it would've been interesting if this episode involved the teams trying to find/capture Spiritomb before the others.

vivian20

Reaction score
I think this episode was better than I expected. It was sweet to see Goh trying to convince Tokio to battle him , even if he could lose. We know that Goh will qualify, but Goh doesnt know this, so he really felt like he was sacrificing something.

Kairyu

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Reaction score
I liked the setup and the general idea of the episode, with Goh doing the mission alone without Ash in the way, and teaming up and battling his way trough. Sadly, the absolutely dreadful animation ruined everything else.

Gabo2oo

Reaction score
Honestly Tokio is making some good points, I wish they addressed Project Mew's reasoning better. Not just "let's be as exclusive as possible despite our project being public knowledge", but also "let's literally disrupt a nature reserve to make our private challenges".

Weddingbells

Reaction score
Pronouns
She/Her
Honestly Tokio is making some good points, I wish they addressed Project Mew's reasoning better. Not just "let's be as exclusive as possible despite our project being public knowledge", but also "let's literally disrupt a nature reserve to make our private challenges".
I mean the project is public, but where mew is , I'm pretty sure they keep private

Twilight-Kun

Megalomaniacal toaster on a keyboard
Reaction score
And I'm sure all the smog/spores from a small army of koffing and jumpluff won't cause lasting damage to an enclosed environment