• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN111: Mohn and Lilie, Snowfield Reunion

Well, that was the most satisfying that this series has been in a long damn while.

Today's episode might be one of the best for Journeys with
Lillie, Gladion and Lusamine finally being reunited with Mohn
and it was just so damn satisfying. Great work from Aya Matsui.

Yet another reminder that the often maligned and diminished Sun and Moon series is actually where Pokémon gets most of its most mature and beautiful content.

The dark undertones of how Mohn has been living contrasted with the the pure and good intentions of the Nihilego - a perfectly picked Pokémon for its significance as a malevolent and dangerous force in the Sun and Moon anime and games, flipping our perception of the Ultra Beast. It’s nuanced - the whole story is nuanced.

I believed since the finale of Sun and Moon that we’d get a conclusion to this story and I am not disappointed.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Kana Hanazawa: Koharu
Yuichi Nakamura: Professor Sakuragi
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Reina Ueda: Snowball
Ryota Iwasaki: Zoroark
Wakana Minami: Magearna
Kei Shindo: Lilie
Jiro Saito: Mohn
Sayaka Kinoshita: Lusamine
Nobuhiko Okamoto: Gladio
Susumu Akagi: Old Man
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

They are finally reunited. A heartwarming episode. Funny how Ash once again reunited with people from his past in the middle of nowhere. And also a nice ending for the Nihilego.

I wonder if a part of the next episode will be about Mohn readjusting to his life in Alola again and about the things that changed over the years. However, to be honest, that would take up at least a whole episode while we need time for the meeting between Chloe and the Alola cast, the reunion between Lillie and her friends, the battle royale,... I feel like we could have used an extra episode in this mini arc.

Maybe Mohn can at least officialy give Magearna to Lillie. It was his plan to restore this Pokémon so it could play with Lillie after all. And maybe he could also give his old Z-Ring to Lillie, because of her growth. The man really has a lot of catching up to do. Both of his children grew up so much since he disappeared.

The creepiest, saddest episode in a very long time. I don't speak a single word of Japanese but I still got the general gist of what was happening.

What hard sweet touching and creepiest episode, especially for Lillie and his family looking for their old man and finally they find him with the shiny Nihilego accompanied Mohn and escape the Ultra World end up in Galar Snowfield, presumably to be in Crown Tundra, which won't be the last place, where the boys visit there. Also as for this episode, it very decent and all those heartbreaking flashback finally comes to full circle. Which Lillie and his family in warm hug as Mohn finally regain his memory and prepared to return back to Alola.

Overall rating: A-

Interesting how they put him in a cold snowy place in the anime while in the games he was living on a tropical island.

I wonder why Nihilego tried to kill Lillie? Jealousy? It seems kind otherwise since it saved Mohn.

I also wonder why it seems to view itself as Lillie? Or is that just how Mohn sees it? Logically it shouldn't know about Lillie prior to meeting her.

Poor Lillie though, being replaced with an alien jellyfish again. Also they seem to be advertising shiny Pokemon a lot lately.

This episode should have happened in SM imo. Then there could have been an arc with Lillie reconnecting with her father. Tbh it's a little hard to care knowing this isn't canon to the games and Lillie has already been written off the anime years ago.

Interesting how they put him in a cold snowy place in the anime while in the games he was living on a tropical island.

I wonder why Nihilego tried to kill Lillie? Jealousy? It seems kind otherwise since it saved Mohn.

I also wonder why it seems to view itself as Lillie? Or is that just how Mohn sees it? Logically it shouldn't know about Lillie prior to meeting her.

Poor Lillie though, being replaced with an alien jellyfish again. Also they seem to be advertising shiny Pokemon a lot lately.

This episode should have happened in SM imo. Then there could have been an arc with Lillie reconnecting with her father. Tbh it's a little hard to care knowing this isn't canon to the games and Lillie has already been written off the anime years ago.
We wouldn't have time for that. One episode sure, but a whole arc nah. Especially when other characters compared to her are so neglected

I feel bad that I never got to watch much of Sun & Moon. As soon as I finish my XY rewatch, I’ll be sure to watch Sun & Moon for the first time ASAP. I’m happy to hear that this episode is initiating similar reactions to what I experienced with JN105, it’s well deserved after how well written Lillie and her family was in Sun & Moon from what I’ve heard.

An excellent episode in how it wraps up Lillie's familie search for Mohn. Some of my takes from the episode:

1. How far Lillie has come to get traumatised by Nihilego and in the end befriending one after getting attacked, very inspiritational and wholesome. Every plot important SM episode feels so lively and heartwarming, this episode delivers big on the emotional department.

2. The animation in this episode was very fluid as well, a big contrast with some of the big important battles we have had. The camera was dancing this episode.

3. The memory loss was handled pretty well, Nihiligo did everything to prevent Mohn from remembering things so it doesn't have to feel lonely, if I understood it correctly. Lillie ensures Nihiligo that she doesn't have to be alone and can come along.

4. Also Gladion, the man who wanted to defeat every Ultra Beast to actually getting one.. What a development in terms of his perspective towards Ultra Beasts

5. Nihiligo playing piano gave me creeps at first.. Old chateau and such level of creeps.

6. I don't mind this myself as a SM-stan, but how does this episode actually move the Journeys plot forward? That's an objective criticism for this episode I believe. For Ash, Goh and Chloe this was filler I think, aside from a set up for Crown Tundra and Chloe meeting Lillie and Gladion. Or am I missing something? Curious how you guys think about this point.

9,5/10 for me

Last edited:
Hihi.

Gladion is the third Alola character behind Kiawe and Ash to catch an Ultra Beast, but is the only one to keep it. Its also the only rival known so far to have a shiny
Kiawe never caught one. It was Lillie and Lana who did. And Ash kept his for quite a while before releasing it.

While I really wish this episode happened in SM, this was a legitimately heartwarming episode. The family is finally reunited and Lusamine isn't just letting go of Mohn like she did in the games. This was an amazing episode.
What happened in the games is much better compared to what happened to Mohn in Pokémon Adventures, that's for sure.

Oh my god, what an amazing episode, there was barely any action yet I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I had my doubts but now I'm really glad they did this. The plotline is so... like sweet and beautiful but still pretty disturbing in hindsight, which in a way perfectly represents Nihilego. The moment they enter the cabin up to Pikachu's arrival feels like some straight psycho-thriller stuff, it genuinely made me anxious.

I guess one could ask if Ash and co. were really needed here, but the writers were so careful not to have them interrupt anything, that their presence didn't hinder the episode in any way. That's quite a feat honestly. This episode's impact already relies heavily on you having watched Sun & Moon, so I'm okay with tying it to the Journeys setting just a little bit, for the new viewers' sake.

And the animation, my goodness, I think this is one of the most consistently/perfectly drawn episodes ever, everyone's on-model in every single frame. The use of lighting and shading in some of the shots got to be among some of the best in the entire show.

And the acting too, especially Lusamine's VA... Man, I wish I could keep going on about everything I loved about the episode but I'm running short on time.

CRYING AND SHITTING!! MAN.... i will say. nihilego was still kind of super fucked up but like. that's my funny friend pal pepo boy so :] still wild that i shiny hunt nihilego in crown tundra and then a shiny nihilego shows up in crown tundra. literally just fucked up (beloved)

EDIT: ALSO HOW COULD I FORGET TO MENTION!!!!!! AS SOMEONE WHO THINKS ABOUT THE SUN/MOON HYPE ERA CONSTANTLY... THEY ACKOWLEDGED IT!! THEY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT WHOLE THEORY!!!!! WE EVEN GOT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THE WEIRD DEX DETAIL ABOUT NIHILEGO SUPPOSEDLY ACTING LIKE A YOUNG GIRL!!! FUCK YEAH JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How on earth did Mohn survive for ten years without anyone finding him with just nihilego caring for him?

Where did the fresh clothing come from? Where did they get food? How did they survive the endless blizzards? Why did the sun magically start cleaning the grimy windows at the end? Where were all the frames in that Iron Tail animation?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom